It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV ads trying to sway the Electoral College

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Vechthaan
Voting allows populism, which is the new dangerous enemy.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Nope. Rigged election.

Damn Russians.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: paradoxious
So, let me see if I have this straight:

Russia trying to influence election results == bad.

Media trying to influence election results == good.

Correct?

America trying to influence election results == good.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

I do but it's a silly and very undemocratic installation. The people who bother to go voting should count more than some artificial "balancing" which may or may not work.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: xuenchen

Fun fact: the majority of the people voted for Hillary.
The system you have is a relict of your colonial/slavery times, a tool, because you have to register first and all of that is already meant to not let all the people vote.
Get rid of that stupid Elector College. Saves money too.

If you had any clue about how the EC works , and what it was designed for, it's to prevent the states of CA and NY, where Hillary won the popular vote, to pick the POTUS. If we did away with the EC, every POTUS here on out would be a flaming liberal.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Democracy by mob rule fails. That's why we have a Republic with checks and balances.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

a reply to: 4N0M4LY

I do but it's a silly and very undemocratic installation. The people who bother to go voting should count more than some artificial "balancing" which may or may not work.

Funny, Obama had no problem with the EC in 2008 and 2012. Now all of a sudden, when his legacy's in trouble, he criticizes it.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

The system you have is a relict of your colonial/slavery times, a tool, because you have to register first and all of that is already meant to not let all the people vote.

If you had any clue about how the EC works , and what it was designed for, it's to prevent the states of CA and NY, where Hillary won the popular vote, to pick the POTUS. If we did away with the EC, every POTUS here on out would be a flaming liberal.

Interesting thought, so California was in the Union when the EC was created?

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

Rofl, because Trump won't be in extremely similar water, and 'isn't even in office'.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Why does the way an elect is picked, change the power of the President?

So Democracy cannot exist in a Republic? Is that the crux of reminding people it's a Republic?
edit on 18-12-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

We all knew Obama was a hard lib and it could be a problem when he was elected. But we never saw this depth of madness until the left got butt hurt. DEEP seated communist/libs in this country are feeling a deep set back in their years of BS progress. And its coming from the people, and they will lose ground during a successful Trump 8 year run from which they will never recover.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
if electors actually start voting the way these ads suggest then i see the end of the democratic process coming about, we will turn into a semi-roman republic type system where the only popular voting will be for congress and the state elections.

it's pretty ironic though what with democrats possibly being the ones to strengthen the republican tradition and weaken the democratic process.
edit on 18-12-2016 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: imjack

Of course not Skippy, but the forefathers designed a democratic system, which is a republic, not a true democracy, where the most populous states wouldn't decide an election.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
if electors actually start voting the way these ads suggest then i see the end of the democratic process coming about, we will turn into a semi-roman republic type system where the only popular voting will be for congress and the state elections.

If people cared about voting for congress, things would get done.

All these cryhards blame Obama for the debt for example, and that isn't even his preliminary job. It's Congress.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

Its a democracy with checks and balance, fairness and equity in representation. Not a pure democracy.......pure democracy is the goal of tyrants.

Our educational system, which many have said for years was ate up with libs and being directed in that direction, is to blame and no wonder, for the confusion and all the questions folks are having. Folks scratching the head......YOU HAVE BEEN DUPED by a system that lived off your parents property taxes while they messed up your minds. Parasitic.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
EXACTLY! I bet most of the people whining about the popular vote are urban voters.

The whole basis of our constitution is checks and balances. Of course the different branches of government but also more populous states v less popular ones. This is why the house or reps is population based (tied to the number of ECs because when the country was new the EC WAS the house of reps) while the senate and the presidency isn't.

It's also worth noting that James Madison when helping to draft the constitution was decidedly against letting the "mob rule" thinking that the average voter wasn't vested enough in the country (I think he later changed his mind but I can't remember all the details about that or what led him to do so).
edit on 12 18 2016 by SgtEsquire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere

This system does presuppose a great deal of stress to the system at the point where the EC conflicts with real number distribution as voted to. The EC really is a second level affirmation of the balance but even then not final word if there is conflict.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: imjack

Of course not Skippy, but the forefathers designed a democratic system, which is a republic, not a true democracy, where the most populous states wouldn't decide an election.

I understand this, just poking fun at the fact California was not in the Union, and the most populous state was not New York. New York didn't even cast electorates in the first election, but this clearly didn't stop the founding fathers from hating New York and California. Quoting you is redundant. Your second answer is more accurate.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtEsquire

yes urban libs as cities/suburb try to build a utopia and tax to crap out of folks while country folk are way independent of all the flibidy flab

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

My response to Reldra in a different thread about this issue. I feel *very* strongly about this...

I just saw a commercial on TV!!
edit on 12/18/2016 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4 >>

join