It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Oklahoma Lawmaker Proposes Rooster Boxing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
An Oklahoma legislator is hoping to bring back a derivative of the now banned cockfighting. The proposal would put miniature boxing gloves on the chickens and allow them to fight it out. Democratic state Senator Frank Shurden, a longtime cockfighting advocate, likens the sport to boxing.

story.news.yahoo.com
OKLAHOMA CITY - With cockfighting now banned in Oklahoma, one legislator is proposing a blood-free alternative: fitting roosters with little boxing gloves and letting them slug it out.

"Who's going to object to chickens fighting like humans do? Everybody wins," said Democratic state Sen. Frank Shurden, a protector of the gamefowl industry and a longtime defender of cockfighting, in which birds are fitted with razor-like spurs and often battle to the death.

Oklahoma voters banned cockfighting in 2002. The practice is still legal in Louisiana and New Mexico.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Who exactly is going to pay to see this? I mean not that I understand why people get so worked up about two chickens fighting to the death either. People will find entertainment in any venue I suppose.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Ya see its not just about the entertainment, this is another thing gamblers can bet on. Personaly I think its morbid to place bets on such fights, even if they are birds

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
What happens if the cocks crow??

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
What a farkin' idiot.

I say we start the equivalent of a WEEKLY WANKER WATCH and let this guy be this week's winner.

At the end of the year we can all vote on which wanker was the WANKER OF THE YEAR.

boxing gloves for chickens...what an idiot.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I say we start the equivalent of a WEEKLY WANKER WATCH and let this guy be this week's winner.

I personally live in Oklahoma, and this was quite a big deal. I personally do not know anyone who encouraged cock fighting (if I did, I might've broken their nose), but more than anything, I believe the reason that this was proposed was to point out how absolutely idiotic cock fighting really is. Was I the only one that saw the sarcasm/humor in this? Besides, if "Cock Fighting" was such a huge industry as its' proponents said it was (doubt it), they'd be wise to encourage this politician's suggestion. If it's not, then they'll keep their mouths shut, avoid furthering the perception of their stupidity, and the whole thing will just disappear into the past.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Another reason the state that I grew up in is still one of the most poverty stricken areas with drugs, crime, etcetera infiltrating the entire state. Our state leaders are ignorant, corrupt, and lack the sense of leadership it takes to change our problems. From Frank Keating to Tom Coburn, they are all wrong. The only good politicians to come to Oklahoma were Carl Albert and Brad Carson. I'm glad to be out of Oklahoma, now living in Florida. I feel sad for my peers that still live there.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghaleon4

I personally live in Oklahoma, and this was quite a big deal. I personally do not know anyone who encouraged cock fighting (if I did, I might've broken their nose), but more than anything, I believe the reason that this was proposed was to point out how absolutely idiotic cock fighting really is. Was I the only one that saw the sarcasm/humor in this? Besides, if "Cock Fighting" was such a huge industry as its' proponents said it was (doubt it), they'd be wise to encourage this politician's suggestion. If it's not, then they'll keep their mouths shut, avoid furthering the perception of their stupidity, and the whole thing will just disappear into the past.

I live in Oklahoma as well. The statement made by Ms. Halliburton, head of the organization against cock-fighting in Oklahoma was that this particular politician has repeatedly attempted to get the cock-fighting ban circumvented and that this was yet another attempt. It sure appears he's up to something. And here's this snippet from the cnn article that says it was $100 million business:

But State Sen. Frank Shurden, a Democrat from Henryetta and a long-time defender of cockfighting, said the ban had wiped out a $100-million business.

www.cnn.com...

Prince_machiavelli says: Another reason the state that I grew up in is still one of the most poverty stricken areas with drugs, crime, etcetera infiltrating the entire state. Our state leaders are ignorant, corrupt, and lack the sense of leadership it takes to change our problems. From Frank Keating to Tom Coburn, they are all wrong. The only good politicians to come to Oklahoma were Carl Albert and Brad Carson. I'm glad to be out of Oklahoma, now living in Florida. I feel sad for my peers that still live there.

With that attitude, we're mighty happy to see you living in Florida....the greater state of ballot confusion.

We're doing just fine...don't worry about us. When you left, the IQ in both states went up!

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by Ghaleon4
We're doing just fine...don't worry about us. When you left, the IQ in both states went up!

I'm sure that you still residing there doesn't help at all. If I am not mistaken, this is misconduct to the rules and procedures of ATS. Deliberate personal attack on me when I was stating a valid opinion and then you come along and ruin the whole intellectual conversation with low-blow attacks thus prompting me to come back with another non-intellectual low-blow attack back. Are you Tom Coburn or Frank Keating?

[edit on 27-1-2005 by Prince_Machiavelli]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Yes, but if we put on little bitty boxing gloves, we aren't breaking the law.

I say, BOY!, LISTEN TO ME BOY! Put 'em up!

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I too live in Oklahoma. The ban passed in 2002 by a very small margin and a lot of people were surprised.

Just FYI Prince_Machiavelli Poverty

and Florida vs Oklahoma

Not trying to cut down Florida here but....... Florida: 2nd Highest Crime Rate vs Oklahoma 14th Highest.

While Oklahoma's Poverty rate is 14% that is right in the middle with Florida coming in at 12%. Wow a whopping 2%.

[edit on 27-1-2005 by RogueX]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Conflict of interest or just gets off on watching violence?

Maybe he has a small cock of his own that's under-employed right now

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Valhall "Keeper of the Fish"

" 'From whom do the kings of the earth take tolls or census tax? From their subjects or from foreigners?' When he said, 'From foreigners,' Jesus said to him, ' Then the subjects are exempt. But that we may not offend them, go to the sea, drop in a hook, and take the FIRST FISH that comes up. Open its mouth and you will find a COIN worth twice the temple tax. "

The next Chapter starts off with "The Greatest in the Kingdom."

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Yes well I live in Tampa, Florida and I definetly didn't care what he said because we all know it wasnt the floridians themselves or those who represent them, but the man from Texas who was ordered to screw up the ballots.

Regardless, Prince_Machiavelli, you did come off as pretty arrogant with your explanation of the state in question. Seeing as you cannot handle simple and harmless, yet some-what insulting criticism, maybe you should not spout out such I would dare to say IGNORANT remarks generalizing the collection of millions of unique individuals with your own perception of a select group of unique individuals that you have encountered through life. My opinion is that action not be taken, all we needed was a good talk

But hey put boxing gloves on them is not a bad idea. If people want to pay for silly things, at least get money from them and make sure they dont torture the poor animals.

[edit on 1/27/2005 by DYepes]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Which man from Texas are you speaking of DYepes???

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RogueX
I too live in Oklahoma. The ban passed in 2002 by a very small margin and a lot of people were surprised.

Just FYI Prince_Machiavelli Poverty

and Florida vs Oklahoma

Not trying to cut down Florida here but....... Florida: 2nd Highest Crime Rate vs Oklahoma 14th Highest.

While Oklahoma's Poverty rate is 14% that is right in the middle with Florida coming in at 12%. Wow a whopping 2%.

[edit on 27-1-2005 by RogueX]

Well, Floridian towns look a like different than Oklahoma's towns and peoples. Lets compare Muskogee, Sallisaw, Vian, McAlester, etcetera to any other place. Have you ever lived in Muskogee, Vian, or Sallisaw. I'm guessing not because if you did then you would know that there MUST be an inaccuracy in those statistics, sorry but I refuse that statistic because I lived in those places and none of them look like anything in Florida.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Yes well I live in Tampa, Florida and I definetly didn't care what he said because we all know it wasnt the floridians themselves or those who represent them, but the man from Texas who was ordered to screw up the ballots.

Regardless, Prince_Machiavelli, you did come off as pretty arrogant with your explanation of the state in question. Seeing as you cannot handle simple and harmless, yet some-what insulting criticism, maybe you should not spout out such I would dare to say IGNORANT remarks generalizing the collection of millions of unique individuals with your own perception of a select group of unique individuals that you have encountered through life. My opinion is that action not be taken, all we needed was a good talk

But hey put boxing gloves on them is not a bad idea. If people want to pay for silly things, at least get money from them and make sure they dont torture the poor animals.

[edit on 1/27/2005 by DYepes]

Tell me how this is arrogant:
Another reason the state that I grew up in is still one of the most poverty stricken areas with drugs, crime, etcetera infiltrating the entire state. Our state leaders are ignorant, corrupt, and lack the sense of leadership it takes to change our problems. From Frank Keating to Tom Coburn, they are all wrong. The only good politicians to come to Oklahoma were Carl Albert and Brad Carson. I'm glad to be out of Oklahoma, now living in Florida. I feel sad for my peers that still live there.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I do not understand your reasoning for that, DYepes? How did I come off arrogant by summarizing what I have seen first-hand? By the way, Frank Keating was a Governor and Tom Coburn is a Congressman. If that is what you were referring to. I worked for Brad Carson and saw the deliberate actions of Governor Keating and the former and present Congressman Tom Coburn's actions to continue to deprive Oklahomans of essential programs that other states have. I have the knowledge and right to summarize my feelings about them, no matter how arrogant you may think it is. But it still bothers me that you think this is arrogant?
You do not understand the reality of what is happening in our little state, so butt out.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prince_Machiavelli

Well, Floridian towns look a like different than Oklahoma's towns and peoples. Lets compare Muskogee, Sallisaw, Vian, McAlester, etcetera to any other place. Have you ever lived in Muskogee, Vian, or Sallisaw. I'm guessing not because if you did then you would know that there MUST be an inaccuracy in those statistics, sorry but I refuse that statistic because I lived in those places and none of them look like anything in Florida.

I've figured something out. Every time you open your mouth on this thread, my perception apparently becomes more skewed.

You came on this thread and stated bull-crap statements as if they were fact. They weren't. Then you tried to say you only gave your opinion. The above shows exactly the merit of your opinion. You did not address the fact that the Oklahoma towns you have decided are "sub-par" are also towns that you can live in, work in, raise kids in, and most nights out of a decade not get raped, murdered or mugged.

We all have different preferences. What you need to figure out is that your preferences are NOT law. Get over yourself. It's fine with me if you have a low opinion of Oklahoma, just don't come on here blathering it as if it were fact and then think those of us who have different preferences aren't going to get in your face.

Let it go. I wouldn't live in Florida if they paid me.

[edit on 1-27-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by Prince_Machiavelli

You came on this thread and stated bull-crap statements as if they were fact. They weren't. Then you tried to say you only gave your opinion. The above shows exactly the merit of your opinion. You did not address the fact that the Oklahoma towns you have decided are "sub-par" are also towns that you can live in, work in, raise kids in, and most nights out of a decade not get raped, murdered or mugged..

Not the case in Muskogee, the high school still has race riots. You really don't understand it unless you've lived there. Take a weekend and go to Muskogee, stay at motel, and try to walk anywhere in town without getting beat up, mugged, or any of the above.
Your last statement made me realize that YOU DON'T GET IT!

“My plan at combating meth will give Oklahomans the power they need to keep meth from destroying their lives and communities,” said Congressman Carson.

Sorry, if I am biased towards Oklahoma but I have seen my family hurt by the illegal activities happening there. Innocent family members killed because of the Meth problems there, especially in Sequoyah county.

I suggest reading the articles below:
www.okdemocrats.org... (I Like this one)
www.mapinc.org... (From the Oklahoman)
www.swtimes.com... (One of Many Meth Lab Busts in Sequoyah County)
www.thehometownchannel.com...
www.mapinc.org...

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I don't think this is as bad an idea as everyone else seems to think it is. I used to know a lot of people in my old neighborhood, poor, out of work migrants, and one of the few ways they could make some extra money on the side was raising fighting roosters. It doesn't cost too much money to raise a rooster, and one can make enormous profits off of a good fighter. If the sport was made safer for the animals, the profits might even be higher, because the animals could be used for more fights.

I don't think it would eliminate razor matches though, illegal or no, people love to watch blood and pain. Bullfights, full contact fighting, hunting, pitbull fights, the gladiators of ancient rome; It's in our blood.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Hey! Creep...the poster formerly known as Prince. What the heck is this? Why are you u2u'ing me like this?

Subject: Your an Idiot
sent: 1-28-2005 at 00:53
Sincerely,
Me
P.S. Read my posts.

bad doggy, bad doggy. Now you're gonna have to get your nose smacked with a little bitty boxing glove!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join