It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine propane dealer won’t deliver to Trump voters–Leaving 60% of customers out in the cold

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Grimpachi

People who would freeze to death because he refused to sell to them.

It's ridiculous to even spell it out for you.

Why not just support killing everyone who doesn't think like you.

It's what I'd expect from the fascists.

Show the law.

He has no legal obligation to sell or deliver propane to them. Do you understand that?

Don't get all emotional and start throwing around labels about fascists and crap. I am talking about the law and real legal obligation.

I never said I like what he is doing, but I am saying he isn't breaking any laws.
edit on 17-12-2016 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

You must never have been around attorneys. It would be man slaughter, this isn't an act of God, it is an act of ignorance.

And he would be held accountable in a civil court, Judges need heat too. Would you want to tell the judge that you didn't fill because of a Trump bumper sticker? And because of this there is $50,000 worth of damages from burst pipes? And pipes are not designed to handle freezing temps.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

People who would freeze to death because he refused to sell to them.

It's ridiculous to even spell it out for you.

Why not just support killing everyone who doesn't think like you.

It's what I'd expect from the fascists.

Show the law.

He has no legal obligation to sell or deliver propane to them. Do you understand that?

You (and he) are setting a wonderful precedent.

I guess bakers can refuse to make cakes for Hillary supporters now.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I believe this falls under the 'Maine Unfair Trade Practices Act'

A propane company cannot even refuse to sell propane to a consumer if that consumer owes the dealer money.

A. Does the act or practice violate established public policy?
B. Does the act or practice substantially injure consumers?
C. Is the act or practice immoral, unethical, oppressive or unscrupulous?

CONSUMER HOME HEATING RIGHTS

THE MAINE UNFAIR TRADE PRACTICES ACT

LP gas dealers must also be cautious not to discriminate. The dealer may not discriminate unfairly among customers with respect to any of the following services:

(1) Sales of LP gas or LP gas prices;
(2) Minimum charges for special deliveries;
(3) Minimum deliveries; and
(4) Equipment installation and service

edit on 12/17/2016 by Sostratus because: It's all in there...

edit on 12/17/2016 by Sostratus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You guys have gone off the rails emotional train.

I am only talking about the law.

Your feelings and your morals do not dictate the law.

It is a private business with no legal obligation to sell to or deliver to "tTrump supporters".

It isn't a public utility either.

By your reasoning if the guy decided to close the buisness then he would be legally responsible for their community's woes caused by it. That is simply a retarded thought process.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I think that what matters here is that I don't think that the law that you are all looking for may not exist. That really doesn't matter anyway. Frivolous lawsuits (enough of them) can put even the innocent out of business. This guy is an ass hat and will, at the very least, lose a majority of his business to his competition. It appears that there are 5 other propane delivery agents available in the immediate area. Let's hope that they sign on the new customers and get them set up before someone dies over all of this.

Worth mentioning, I know a couple who owned beachfront cabins in New England and had they had an issue with their propane service and they were very upset. There's an awful lot to the story BUT the recourse was this. They called and cancelled their service and gave the ex-propane dealer 24 hours to get their tanks off of the property. 24 hours expired and the tanks became theirs under a physical property abandonment law. These tanks aren't cheap. Imagine if the Turner customers that are being refused service did this very same thing en masse? I imagine that this could be a major blow to the business.

In any case, it seems like (without any real legal actions) the ex-customers could make this guy's life a living hell.

WEIRDNESS

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Sostratus

NICE

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: FyreByrd

The good thing is we can say this isn't a Trump supporter doing this.

I can imagine that Monday this guy will suddenly be visited by the local city attorney. We will see if this limp brained malcontent will have the intestinal fortitude to stand on his lofty perch of knowing what is right for all.

no, they just leave disabled ladies broken down on the side of the highways....

neither of the two loonies that were running deserved the job, it's insane that some feel so strongly about their version of looney, that they'd treat those who feel differently so badly!

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sostratus

A propane company cannot even refuse to sell propane to a consumer if that consumer owes the dealer money.

Now you have actually shown laws.

However, according to that the only thing he is in danger of is losing his business license.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure his suppliers will be cutting him off shortly. Hard to make a living if you have nothing to sell. As soon as this gets up the ladder to the republican controlled suppliers, they will cut them off.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It would be okay to not allow heating of his house based on who he votes for. . . apparently.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

They can be sued as well;

Consumers can bring their own private UTPA actions for relief in either Small Claims Court, District Court, or Superior Court.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sostratus

LP gas dealers must also be cautious not to discriminate. The dealer may not discriminate unfairly among customers with respect to any of the following services:

(1) Sales of LP gas or LP gas prices;
(2) Minimum charges for special deliveries;
(3) Minimum deliveries; and
(4) Equipment installation and service

The consumer home heating rights, that vendor is totally screwed legally.

Good find!

I would say he should find a new line of work fast, because he's going to get hit from every direction now. smh
edit on 17-12-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sostratus

I just got done reading through the UTPA.

The civil suit is limited. Property damage may be applicable however they would have to prove like in the case of burst pipes that they did things on their side to mitigate damages within their ability. Like turn off water or open taps.

Also as I have already looked on the map in that area and found 5 other propane companies it would still be hard to push any other suit on him if damages occurred and they didn't attempt to obtain propane from those other sources.

There is a certain amount of personal responsibility they have to take which is why I said the guy will probably lose is license over it, but I don't forsee any other charges that could be levied against him.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Metallicus

To be fair the story doesn't tell us that he is liberal. A liberal would never do this, they are all inclusive and are accepting of all things.

/Spits up my

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: DBCowboy

Except he did say he wouldn't leave anyone without fuel. He's saying that those of his customers that voted for Trump should find another seller he isn't outright refusing them, which I still think is wrong. I'm guessing you knew this and are just perpetuating the evil liberal meme.

Why can't the same excuse be used for bakers and cakes?

Public accomidation doesn't count for fuel?

You really are the absolutely worst for interpreting things to suit your worldview. Did you not see where I said: "which I still think is wrong". Also my previous post should answer your question.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

If they refuse service they open themselves up for a law suit;

The dealer may not discriminate unfairly among customers

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Wrong again if he were to not fill the tank for a bumper sticker, and for what ever reason a person died because of this. He would be find himself in criminal court.

This is the same if you were to cut a tree down and it falls on your neighbors house, someone dies, you may very well end up in criminal court for manslaughter. I imagine there is no don't drop a tree on your neighbor house law, but all the same manslaughter.

However, according to that the only thing he is in danger of is losing his business license.

edit on 17-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

LOL, if it was done by a pro-Trump person against everyone who is in favor of Hillary or President Obama this would be in the front news and the left would be horrified.... But of course, since it is someone in the left doing it is being ignored.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I'll be honest, I did miss that.

I wrongly assumed you'd be for punishing people who think differently.

I apologize.
edit on 17-12-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join