It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico Angered by U.S. Travel Alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
By LISA J. ADAMS
Associated Press Writer

January 27, 2005, 12:59 PM EST

MEXICO CITY -- Mexico's government reacted angrily on Thursday to a U.S. warning about travel along the border, and a top official said Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge failed to mention any such concerns in a meeting just last week.

The complaints by Interior Secretary Santiago Creel came after a U.S. State Department alert Wednesday expressed fear Mexico had lost control of drug-related violence in the north.

"U.S. citizens should be aware of the risk posed by the deteriorating security situation," the State Department advisory said, though it stopped short of urging Americans to avoid Mexico.

www.newsday.com...

The last time I flew into Cancun and before we got off the airliner we were all given the written warning from the US gov telling us not to wander from the tourist areas in fear of robbery, abductions, rape and murder.

I guess the warning now includes the border areas.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
oh so no mention off dirty bomb on the lose do the us gov have there priorities right .

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
no mention of dirty bomb that i've heard, but yeah, the border towns have always been a bit sketchy, and now they are getting bad. i have friends that were almost kidnapped just last weekend. another friend goes to Mexico all the time. he tells me he has to hide any electronic gadget because the federales will take them, AND HE'S MEXICAN! a few other people i know have known plenty of people here and there who've had recent run-ins with fake police, kidnappers and the like. my good friend owns a bullet-proofing company. it originally had 3 owners. one of the owners was on a trip to Mexico to make a deal for some armored cars with the Mexican government. he was kidnapped, murdered and dumped on the side of the road. his kidnappers didn't even know he had money and could have been ransomed. they didn't care. the killing fields of Juarez are spreading. the dead are turning up everywhere. it is getting bad and will only get worse.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
fledgling has some good points, I remember bribing a Mexican policeman with $60 cause he wanted to take my new F-250 for an safety "inspection"...which means I would never see it again. The Mexican government is crooked beyond words and its obvious their in Cahoots with the drug lords.

Mexico's crime wave will get worse, kidnapping, drugs, prostitution...you name it..its gonna get so bad, Americans will stop visiting there. Wonder whats gonna happen when tourism in Mexico dries up?

This is why we need to seal our southern borders, before our neighborhoods end up like Tijuana.

Maximu§

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
For those that don't haven’t been to Mexico through Arizona, the 'Mexican border security' is the extent of a revolving metal gate.

That's it. No passport checks, no questioning...etc. The last time I visited Mexico, a couple of my friends were held up by policia and forced to pay $100 each or they would be thrown into prison on bogus charges.

Mexico is dangerous.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
When I was in the Navy and station in San Diego Ca. I would go to Tijuhana in my spare time with my buddies and procede to get hammered along the strip. I can tell you from experience that law enforcment in Mexico is non-existant. Only political corruption of the likes that we have never witnessed in America. The cops in TJ are despicable. They will walk up to anyone who fits the American profile and demand money or be taken to jail. I would rather go to Abuy Garhib prison than go to a Tijuhana jail.

If this claim ruffles the feathers of Mexico, then I suggest they do something about the claims such as fixing the problem, instead of bitching and crying about it.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

This is why we need to seal our southern borders, before our neighborhoods end up like Tijuana.

Very much agreed. But frankly I think all of our borders need to be sealed. Things will get much worse when the tourism stops, we must think ahead here, not wait for it to truly affect us.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I have a client who lives in Arizona and she took her daugher to some border town for a night. They went out to dinner and asked the restaurant to call them a cab when they were done. As they were leaving my client said she felt awful and her daughter had to help her into the car. she woke a short while later to the sound of her daugher screaming. Seems they both passed out (thanks to a bit of drugs slipped in their drinks). Apparently the cab driver woke the girl up as he was either stealing her jewelry or trying to remove her clothes. The daugher went rambo on the driver and that woke up her mother. they were in the middle of nowhere, which is where they left the cab driver when they took his car for the ride back into town.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This may be of interest to you guys :

www.libertyforum.org... Board=news_government&main=293287403&type=post

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
trance I would love to see something like that work. But it won't, the profit margins alone are worth an increased risk for most of these employers. Personally I think Americans need to awaken to the fact that it's us who keep our country great and if we see something wrong WE need to take care of it. Stop relying on law enforcement to stop a problem they show no inclination to stop. I hate to advocate it but street justice would work better to solve the problem.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Seems the Cartels are having alittle turf war in Northern Mexico. This is spilling over to other areas and this is why we are seeing a recent increase in violence and crime .

The goverment should warn people about the risk

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
For those that don't haven’t been to Mexico through Arizona, the 'Mexican border security' is the extent of a revolving metal gate.

That's it. No passport checks, no questioning...etc. The last time I visited Mexico, a couple of my friends were held up by policia and forced to pay $100 each or they would be thrown into prison on bogus charges.

Mexico is dangerous.

are you kidding?

in Big Bend National Park, the Rio Grande is dry, YOU CAN WALK ACROSS!!!!!

now, if NM would quit pumping out all the water for their golf courses in the desert, we would have adecent barrier that kept people out for years.

now, a lot of people think it's the Mexican government that is to blame for this, and yes, in part it is, but only due to the fact that they can't stop it. they are unable to stop it. it is just too powerful, and yet, they deny it exists, because what kind of government can't stop simple crime within it's borders, or at least bring it down to a tolerable level? they would be disgraced if they ever asked for help. the corruption is on the bottom level, maybe up the ladder a few rungs, but it does not go to the top. the top tries to do something about it, but it is just not equipped, beside the fact that the Mexican people have little to no faith in it. they did at first, but that has waned badly because of the very thing we're talking about right now.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
When I was in the Navy and station in San Diego Ca. I would go to Tijuhana in my spare time with my buddies and procede to get hammered along the strip. I can tell you from experience that law enforcment in Mexico is non-existant.

Imagine that, the mexican authorities have decided not to waste their time on a district over run by drunken riotous revelers looking for cheap booze cheap drugs and cheap women.

I have to wonder how much like the rest of mexico TJ is?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Imagine that, the mexican authorities have decided not to waste their time on a district over run by drunken riotous revelers looking for cheap booze cheap drugs and cheap women.

What?

I have to wonder how much like the rest of mexico TJ is?

Well, I spent two weeks in Porta Vallerta (sp?) and it was pretty much the same only with nicer hotels and much bigger. Other than that, you couldnt tell much difference, other than when I was at the hotel. It was nice waking up at Noon to a glass of gin and tonic, overlooking a beautiful beach with that crystaline greenish blue water

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I say we take em and line em up the dead carcuses thete'll stop the m from crossing.

new topics

top topics

join