It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archeologist unearths biblical controversy

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
[noun: any cognitive content held as true
noun: a religious doctrine that is proclaimed as true without proof
noun: a vague idea in which some confidence is placed

The proof is in the pudding. Hopefully one day you'll be able to taste the pudding. If not well that is what is sad and truly unfortunate.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Originally posted by vincere7
All those who lack in such knowledge such as the simplicity of belieiving that Christ died for your sins will always be 'less' in knoweldge than those who accept Christ regardless of education.

As a person who could be a beneficuary of this statment , I am amused. There is no background information that says this infact the information rather goes to say the world as a whole shall grow in tech. ,scientific, and other forms of knowledge it is not for the benefits of us whom have a relationship with Christ.........you are incorrect you need to review and see the statements are all of world benefit, not Christ related citizens only.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Here, let me recount a little story for you without the fluff and the wide-eyed wonderment the original author wanted to bestow on the readers.

There was once a man named Abram, from Ur the land of the Chaldees. Unfortunately Ur did not become part of the Chaldean nation for another 800 years or so, but anyway, God said to Abe when he was 70 years old, go to a piece of land that I will give to you. So Abe took his nephew Lot, his wife and off he went, and Abe the Canaanite(Gen12:60) passed through Canaan and ended up on a plain. Did I said Abe the Canaanite? I thought he was from Ur? Oh well. Anyway, God said to him, this plain is going to be for your descendents. From there he continued his journeys through Beth-el and mountains and such. Well there turned out to be a famine there, so he picked up again and headed south into Egypt. Gen 12:10. I guess God wasn’t ready to give him the land yet, unless Abe decided he didn’t want it while there was a famine going on.

As he came close to Egypt, he suddenly noticed how beautiful his wife was, and he being afraid that once they got to Egypt her beauty would so outshine all the thousands of Egyptian women, that they would kill him if they knew he and Sarai were married. So he enticed her to lie and say she was his sister. When they got there, sure enough, the princes just happened to be about town and noticed her and told their dad the pharaoh, boy do we have a woman for you, they obviously didn’t want her for themselves being such wonderful sons and all, and pharaoh, being a fellow loving beautiful women, had to see for himself.

Now pharaoh, was obviously a noble fellow, for as much as he could take any woman he wanted just because, he decided to give to Abe, sheep, oxen, asses and servants just because he had a beautiful sister. This poor pharaoh, under the impression from Abe that this woman to whom he was courting was just a sister, suddenly finds himself plagued by all sorts of nasty things from Abe’s God, because God obviously must have thought pharaoh was psychic and should have known she was Abe's wife, and that Abe did no wrong.

How pharaoh knew it was Abe’s God, can only be explained that he was indeed psychic, but somehow pharaoh figured out Abe’s God was upset and called Abe to ask, “what’s up with her being your wife?” So, pharaoh, obviously now really afraid of Abe’s God, must have figured that he had better not kill them like he would probably do to anyone else who betrays him and instead sent them packing.

So now Abe, along with his wife and his nephew Lot leave Egypt a rich man, and man was he rich from that scam, I mean pharaoh’s sin, for now he had cattle, silver and gold. So they head south to Beth-el. Gen13:1:3, either Abe’s compass malfunctioned, or this must be a different Beth-el, because earlier, he came from Beth-el and headed south into Egypt. When they get there, there is Abe, his wife, Lot and flocks, and herds and even herdsmen to tend to the animals and handmaidens and tents, just a slew of people that he either bought with some of that wealth or they were gifted to him by pharaoh. So Abe decided to split the land with Lot because there are so many of them since that short trip to Egypt, the land can’t accommodate them all.

Now this Beth-el when he first got there before he ventured into Egypt was famine ridden, when they get there the second time, six years later or so, there was water everywhere in the plains of Jordan, and Lot chose this place which became Sodom and Gomorrah.

Abe is living on his huge acreage in Canaan, which apparently is south of Egypt this time not North, and God speaks to him and tells him to look north, south, east and west, and all of that is yours. Then he walked through this land as he followed his nose and came to Hebron, which is either Egypt to the North, Sudan to the south, Chad and Libya to the west, or maybe an island in the Red Sea to the east.

Abe while still in Hebron is sad that he has no kids, and God visits and tells him not to worry he will give him one, and his heirs will have the land, and that land be from the Nile to the Euphrates, and obviously the Red Sea in between.

-------

Sound like a plausible story if someone told it to you with names changes? No! And it is obvious that Abraham settled in Egypt, he was always in Egypt, because he cannot head south into Egypt from Beth-el and south from Egypt back into Beth-el.

The whole story was a terribly poor concoction by the scribes to make it appear Jews were not Egyptians, and the redactors did not find this error in time to stop the LXX from circulating.

The rest of the story is even mor bizarre, and an interesting read for those who care to pick it up once more.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Somewhereinbetween Outstanding,

Now I am going to add, how can any scholar in this boards turn the faith of the blind believers of the church into taken in consideration the historical facts that "surrounds" the bible?

You can die trying.

If it something I had learn in ATS and around, and is the realization that the blind will always be led by the blind and they will only listen to each other.

While the people that wants to denied ignorance will look for the ones that also whats to denied ignorance.

So let's keep on going and let's bring the facts.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
So let's keep on going and let's bring the facts.

Amen, Marg!

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Funny you would mention Newton, did you know that the vast majority of his time was not spent on the Calculus and such but rather on the prophecy code he understood to be in the Bible?

And did you know that:
"Newton's final gesture before death was to refuse the sacrament, a decision of some consequence in the 18th century. ... In the privacy of his thoughts and writings, Newton rejected a host of doctrines he considered mystical, irrational, or superstitious. ..."
(Source: Encyclopedia Americana article by Robert A. Hatch, professor of history at the University of Florida. Link: web.clas.ufl.edu...)

Edsinger, I notice that rather than discuss and debate the points I brought up directly, you chose to attempt to undermine my position by the implication that a scientist I mention in passing believed in god. This is irrelevant to the discussion, and shows to me that you are merely trying to gain popularity points like so many talk radio hosts.

If you have anything rational and relevant to say, I'm willing to listen and discuss. Otherwise, don't waste my time.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by stargazernate
Edsinger, I notice that rather than discuss and debate the points I brought up directly, you chose to attempt to undermine my position by the implication that a scientist I mention in passing believed in god. This is irrelevant to the discussion, and shows to me that you are merely trying to gain popularity points like so many talk radio hosts.

If you have anything rational and relevant to say, I'm willing to listen and discuss. Otherwise, don't waste my time.

Well first of all, I mentioned the fact that a man that was born with 100 times the brainpower of you and I put together spent the great majority of his life pursuing the code he KNEW to be in the Bible. He was also a Freemason so maybe he did pass on the sacraments as they are not a requirement to get into heaven as that dude Martin Luther quite well explained......The Church was VERY corrupt and in some ways still is....

Originally posted by stargazernate
What does your Bible know of math? It sets the value of pi at 3.0. Check 1 Kings 7:23 and 2 Chronicles 4:2 (a circular sea, 10 cubits in diameter and 30 cubits in circumference), and don't say that they couldn't measure any more accurately; the Egyptians at the time the Old Test. was being assembled already knew better.

So what? So the Earth year is not 360 days as the Jews said, it is 365.xxxx.

But I can show just as much math and many other things that could not be known by man at the time, such as "take a #' outside your encampment. Why? Well germs! We could go round and round about this stuff, just believe in the little green guys or whatever you want, heck worship science after all it has never been wrong has it?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsingerSo what? So the Earth year is not 360 days as the Jews said, it is 365.xxxx.
That would be as the Egyptians said, it was 365.25 days. The Jews can't lay claim to this as they deliberately rewrote history to show they were not Egyptians, nonetheless, after suffering the cultural, architectural and sociological setbacks of removing themselves from Egypt, it took them at a minimum, 2,000 years to acknowledge a 365 day cycle. Just imagine where they would be today if they weren't so haughty, they might actually own all of Egypt and Israel.

So what say you on the story of Abe? Perhaps I should continue the story for you. It truly is interesting.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Every culture that had a calendar once had a 360 day year. Including egypt, babylon, sumeria, assyria, china.
The most screwed up calendar was that of Rome, which wasnt fixed until around the time of ceasar.

Its my belief that the reason the calendar was 360 days per year is because originally , that was the case.
In the same manner the recent earthquake affected the earths orbit, I believe the events of the flood also did. Recorded history starts , in accordence with the bible, right after the flood. People didnt figure out the change for a while and as they did, they started adjusting their calendars. Even the Maya once used a 360 day...and then adjusted it by adding 5 days..which like many other cultures, they considered to be 5 unlucky days.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween

Originally posted by edsingerSo what? So the Earth year is not 360 days as the Jews said, it is 365.xxxx.
That would be as the Egyptians said, it was 365.25 days. The Jews can't lay claim to this as they deliberately rewrote history to show they were not Egyptians, nonetheless, after suffering the cultural, architectural and sociological setbacks of removing themselves from Egypt, it took them at a minimum, 2,000 years to acknowledge a 365 day cycle. Just imagine where they would be today if they weren't so haughty, they might actually own all of Egypt and Israel.

So what say you on the story of Abe? Perhaps I should continue the story for you. It truly is interesting.

Check this out

Because this public calendar with 360 days was too short to coordinate with the agricultural and lunar calendar, five extra days called the heriu renpet were added at the end of the year and celebrated with religious festivities.

With this last calendar reform before Roman times, the ancient Egyptians missed the true length of the solar year by only ¼ day. But the missing days added up and the gap between the lunar calendar and the public calendar increased by one day every four years . So, in 1460 years the calendar slipped through a whole year, meaning that in between, according to one calendar, it could be harvest time, although in reality the floodwaters were just receding!

This little "big problem" wasn't solved until Augustus introduced the ‘leap year’ in Egypt around 30 B.C.

Seems that no one had a perfect calendar

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The Egyptian solar calendar was divided into three 120 days, one of which was the flood season from the Nile, with five additional days tacked on at the end or the year.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is kind of funny, so the Egyptians had it all figured out huh?

The Earthquake brought up a good point, the earths spin has surely changed over the years.....interesting indeed.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join