It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestinian Authority Issues Weapons Ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
So does this mean that when Hamas has a parade in the streets they cant play with their AK47's???

This should get interesting!

www.newsday.com...
By MOHAMMED DARAGHMEH
Associated Press Writer

January 27, 2005, 2:01 PM EST

RAMALLAH, West Bank -- The Palestinian leadership banned civilians from carrying weapons and indicated on Thursday it would appoint a new interior minister known for his hardline stance against militants, the latest in a series of steps to stop violence that have brought rare praise from Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon.

The ban on weapons signalled the Palestinian Authority's aim to take control of the streets from militants, who often overtly brandish their automatic rifles and other arms and who have surpassed the authority's power in some neighborhoods and refugee camps.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
-- The Palestinian leadership banned civilians from carrying weapons

Whoa. I have no faith so far in Mahmood Abbas, but perhaps, if he actually enforces this, something could really be effected.

But he has said he will not use 'violence' to disarm the radicals. So how will this law be enforced? Fines?

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
herm could this gun ban spread herm

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It is gonna be difficult at first. But I think if he plods on firmly, he should be able to achieve it. I am now plonked square in a country which used to be awash with firearms and explosives. Not more than 10 years ago you could have bought a grenade for 20bucks and a M16 for 200bucks, all done behind a truck. Now, the situation is much much better. There's only American and Vietnamese landmines to worry about !

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think this has about as much chance of happening as banning Spanish in California, (and will be about as effective), but I guess we'll have to see....

new topics

top topics

join