It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If God is all powerful he cannot be all good quote...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnnyjoe1979

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Or
As the bible states
We are created in His image
He has given us our own sovereignty, free will, choice to live our lives as we see fit, a gift
It then becomes up to us to be responsible for our own actions as we see fit, He will judge us at some designated time for those actions, when He feels it right to do so.

God can't be all loving if He makes us robots and intervenes constantly

But love can be programmed into a robot and then it can figure that out. True if love then else is easier said than typed.

What would be the point of creation if it operated like a train set, pre programmed with no choice

So that the robots can figure it out. I would love to have a robot ask me what love is and then have it record everything and transcribed to a twitter feed to think of something. It would reference a lot to Jesus so the Vatican would also need a robot, just like every other religion basically.

But that love is programes, it's just data, true love is not data, it's compassion and selfless giving
The Greeks have six words to describe different types of love, does a computer program?

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
a reply to: johnnyjoe1979

I would love to have a robot ask me what love is and then have it record everything and transcribed to a twitter feed to think of something.

What do you mean by this? Paraphrase. I'm interested, but i'm not following...

Well suppose you would be walking about and a robot like Nao or something cheaper like Mindstorms would be walking around asking people what love is. And then it would ask if the answer would be recorded for later personal use or not and maybe on the internet. It might get answers but it might also get stolen and then ask it captors what love is and post it online.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnnyjoe1979

Or
As the bible states
We are created in His image
He has given us our own sovereignty, free will, choice to live our lives as we see fit, a gift
It then becomes up to us to be responsible for our own actions as we see fit, He will judge us at some designated time for those actions, when He feels it right to do so.

God can't be all loving if He makes us robots and intervenes constantly

But love can be programmed into a robot and then it can figure that out. True if love then else is easier said than typed.

What would be the point of creation if it operated like a train set, pre programmed with no choice

So that the robots can figure it out. I would love to have a robot ask me what love is and then have it record everything and transcribed to a twitter feed to think of something. It would reference a lot to Jesus so the Vatican would also need a robot, just like every other religion basically.

But that love is programes, it's just data, true love is not data, it's compassion and selfless giving
The Greeks have six words to describe different types of love, does a computer program?

You can say that nowadays and go way back further than the Greeks when there were no words for the actions you describe. But people did the same before the invention of words. So what would be the difference with a computer that would not speak now, but will so in the future? Because if I were to build such a robot it would develop and at some point someone else might build a robot and send it to mine. Or mine to the others and then they would be appearing to speak about love and doing etcetera.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Okay knowing that you're an intellectual and someone that consistently makes great posts I will respond hoping you will give me in turn the time of day. Please know, I loathe Islam just as much as Christianity. That's the pretense.

If you put it like that, humans have our own comparable examples.

This wasn't a discussion of what humans have done. We are talking about god and god's morality. I feel like an attempt to focus on humanities shortcomings is just a way to distract focus on the actual topic matter.

It could be a simple as God quarantining the "uncontaminated" humans, purging the "contaminated" humans, and then letting the uncontaminated survivors restart the human population.

Could being the operative word.

Could.
edit on 17-12-2016 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
"if God is all powerful,
he cannot be all good.
And if he's all good
then he cannot be all powerful."

God is doing everything - God is all there is - so God is all powerful.

And of course, you can think the idea of God is just a construct of human imagination. But even so, you can still pretend that God exists just for the fun of thinking about his metaphysics.

Of course 'good' can be viewed as an idea - a construct in imagination. You can pretend 'good' exists and it's opposite 'bad' - to make life conflict and disharmonious.
edit on 17-12-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

All you said is that god is omnipotent and omniscient, but you didn't address any of the actual issues in the OP concerning how an omnipotent god would also be omnibenevolent.
edit on 17-12-2016 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

All you said is that god is omnipotent, but you didn't address any of the actual issues in the OP concerning and omnipotent god should that god also be omnibenevolent.

God is neither good or bad - god is all - so is neutral.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Based on your personal belief or scripture?

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Based on your personal belief or scripture?

God is ever present - is what is actually present good or bad?
What is wrong (or right) with right now unless you think of other times or places?

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   

You're confusing the predicates discussed. That's omnipresence. And that has nothing to do with morality.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   

You're confusing the predicates discussed. That's omnipresence. And that has nothing to do with morality.

The story goes, that Adam and Eve were cast out of paradise when they believed in good and bad.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Yes I know the story.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Yes I know the story.

Did God demand morality? Or did he hint at not eating from the tree of knowledge of good and bad? It is also said that one should not judge.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   

I don't care what your god demands about morality! I have a better understanding of morality than that book does. And so do you! If you followed the moral teachings of the Bible you would be in prison!

I live a moral secular life every day quite well. I run a care home and I take in kids that come from Christian parents. Yeah, Christian parents that couldn't care for their children.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

I don't care what your god demands about morality! I have a better understanding of morality than that book does. And so do you! If you followed the moral teachings of the Bible you would be in prison!

I live a moral secular life every day quite well. I run a care home and I take in kids that come from Christian parents. Yeah, Christian parents that couldn't care for their children.

The thing is.......you think you do good things - good for you!
God is doing everything. God is unconditional - so does not split what he does into good and bad. Someone who murders does not choose to murder - and realising that brings great compassion.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   

So god is working through me? That's your answer?

Funny. Religious people often tell me Satan directs me.

You all can't get your story straight about my moral actions.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   

So judgemental! The Christian parents - bad. Religious people - bad.
Life is just happening - no one is doing any of it - it is done. If there is judgement life will feel uncomfortable. if life is found to be just happening as it is then life will be comfortable.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

You misunderstood.

I'm not saying Christian parents are bad. I'm saying the majority of kids i've got have been from abusive Christian parents. Meaning to say, Christianity is not at all a guarantee for a moral life.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

So you are no longer having a discussion with me - you are now believing that you are having a discussion with religious people.
I am not a Christian - I am not labelled.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   

I don't care about labels. Address the posts.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join