It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Writer Wants Rogue One's Diverse Cast To Be An Example for Trump-Idiot Writer With An idiotic St

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The cast of Rogue one being so divers is refreshing and is a rebuke on Trumps campaign. According to CNN's Lewis Beale
Lucas's older films were primarily Caucasian "with occasional minority thrown in for spice". And Lord knows that this is bad, right?

And in this fraught political moment, such refreshing diversity comes across as a rebuke to President-elect Donald Trump's campaign.

George Lucas' creation has for years been populated by humans who are almost overwhelmingly Caucasian, with the occasional minority thrown in for spice -- Bill Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian in "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi;" Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu in "The Phantom Menace," "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith;" and Maori actor Temuera Morrison as Jango Fett in "Attack of the Clones" and Commander Cody in "Revenge of the Sith;" and Jimmy Smits in "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith."

The old movies pallid attempts at multiculturalism won't hold a candle to the latest cast in Rogue One. And the differing ethnicity of the cast is something to be proud of, according to Beale. I think that companies should hire the best, and we get dangerously close to a quota system when we start to compare things from 1970's to today, and let what happened a generation ago influence our decisions now. Of course comparing the cast of a movie to Trump 1) too early and 2) this is a movie, idiot.

Should we ban the old movies cause Lewis Beale, the author of this delightful quip, sees too many white faces? What is his point. The studio hired the best people for the jobs, but Beale sees everything through an ethnic checklist.

But these earlier, pallid attempts at multi-culturalism don't hold a candle to the range of colors and ethnicities in "Rogue One." The heroes of the film, nearly all members of the Rebel Alliance attempting to steal the plans of the Empire's ominous Death Star, include a Mexican (Diego Luna), Puerto Rican (Smits), Englishwoman (Felicity Jones), African-American (Forest Whitaker), Dane (Mads Mikkelsen), two Chinese men (Wen Jiang and Donnie Yen) and a British/Pakistani/Muslim (Riz Ahmed).

Lewis Beale wrote this story that made me wonder what in the hell is a day in Lewis Beale's life like? Is Beale so disconnected that he thinks a star wars movie is a good template for some of the most important jobs in a Trump admin? Should we only hire a "fill in the races" for SOS and DOD because of make believe storm troopers and laser blasting heroes?

Dr. Brilliant Beale goes on to mention some of the main reason's Trump was elected, but of course he is against them. Read them if you want. Usually I couldn't give a sweet crap what writers with love handles think, but this hit me just right.

1. Please. Don't build that wall. You never know when a Mexican trying to cross the border might save the galaxy. Or at least be a good, hard-working member of society.

2. While we're at it, don't set up a Muslim registry, or ban Muslims from entering the country. Riz Ahmed stars as Bodhi Rook, a former Imperial pilot with whiz-bang technical skills

3. See? A diverse group of people really can work together to produce a better society. If nothing else, that's a key subtext in "Rogue One,"

www.cnn.com...
edit on 16-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

That is an odd article, but this is even stranger.heatstreet

Trump supporters are planning a boycott of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, under the #DumpStarWars hashtag, over rumors that the film was re-shot to include anti-Trump scenes.

While there is no evidence for these allegations, the narrative is being pushed mainly by a popular pro-Trump Twitter account “Jack Posobiec,” which is also an avid proponent of the Pizzagate conspiracy theory.

Twitter

Star Wars writers rewrote and reshot Rogue One to add in Anti Trump scenes calling him a racist. Disgusting.

No such thing ever happened.

LOL.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Things just get weirder and weirder.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

CNN Writer Wants Rogue One's Diverse Cast To Be An Example for...

Yeah, I would just like them to be an example of what they are: An opportunity to sell more action figures.

Oh, and another reminder that a lone agent can have no effect and that only "Diverse Teams" can have a systemic impact, but that's way heavier than the action figures.

edit on 16-12-2016 by Dan00 because:

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Dan00

Anyone who thinks that the American work place is not a diverse environment is very sheltered. What will Trump's admin look like? The best.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Anyone who thinks that the American work place is not a diverse environment is very sheltered. What will Trump's admin look like? The best.

Of course it is. That's not my point.

My point is that for decades now what is being pushed in video games and movies is that a lone agent can not be effective. That only "diverse teams" can be effective.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I can't identify with a female heroine so I won't be seeing the new Star Wars.

Too much politically correct diversity for me to enjoy the story.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
I don't know anything about the new movie. But if it is politicized, stick it. I will wait until broadcast tv has it.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Did you saw transformers? Did you idenfied with shapeshifting alien robots?

I will see the story of a rebel group pew pewing the empire, not the tale of women struggle in a galaxy far far away...

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Did you saw transformers? Did you idenfied with shapeshifting alien robots?

I will see the story of a rebel group pew pewing the empire, not the tale of women struggle in a galaxy far far away...

People see what they want to see.

Jin (the lead female role) was pretty solid (imo) in the film.

Those who have "boycotted," Star Wars due to them including females (cough Princess Leia cough no outrage at that lolz) - good.

Let those idiots stay at home while those of us attempting to watch an entertaining film can do just that.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

That is an odd article, but this is even stranger.heatstreet

Trump supporters are planning a boycott of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, under the #DumpStarWars hashtag, over rumors that the film was re-shot to include anti-Trump scenes.

While there is no evidence for these allegations, the narrative is being pushed mainly by a popular pro-Trump Twitter account “Jack Posobiec,” which is also an avid proponent of the Pizzagate conspiracy theory.

Twitter

Star Wars writers rewrote and reshot Rogue One to add in Anti Trump scenes calling him a racist. Disgusting.

No such thing ever happened.

LOL.

Nothing even remotely close to that happens. I saw the film last night with mah girlfriend and a good friend.

We all enjoyed it, my buddy and I (we're nerds) had some good conversations on the way home.

We must've missed the anti-Trump nods.

The fake outrage is grand.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
membaberries.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Look man. We are living in an era that less Caucasian = more persuasion. That is all. It is not something that has never happened before. History is told by the nation that conquers, along with some history of the conquered. Now the question is, do people really know how to share. If not, then pick a side and call for war. Get it over with already. If this man wants to see things the way he wants to see it, why does that offend you? We all are Americans. Let us all have many different dreams, that some may be accomplished.

Don't get me wrong. I do see your point. And yes, it is wrong to only allow a select number of a certain race into the film, but we must respect someone's right to express himself. And yes if someone express's himself with an all white cast to rebel against Obama it would be considered racist. Why? Because we live in a world that less Caucasian = more Persuasion. Just rise above it. We have to understand the truer nature of mankind. We are all the same, whether anyone knows it or not.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Because I know when I want to create the most awesomest team of awesomes ever the very first consideration and hallmark of awesomeness is how awesomely different they all look on the outside without any regard to how awesomely good they actually are at anything I might actually need them to do.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

...and hallmark of awesomeness is how awesomely different they all look on the outside without any regard to how awesomely good they actually are at anything I might actually need them to do.

And there you have it.

How'd you get so smart, ketsuko?

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   

It's an enjoyable movie....so what the lead character is a woman.
Why people are reading so much into it I don't know.
I didn't think once throughtout about PC nonsense or politics it's a star wars movie.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Dan00

I took the time to learn what diversity actually means.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

It's an enjoyable movie....so what the lead character is a woman.
Why people are reading so much into it I don't know.
I didn't think once throughtout about PC nonsense or politics it's a star wars movie.

A good movie or story is a good movie or story. I don't care what the cast looks like. It's up to the author or script writers to decide who the characters are.

The only time it irritates me is when we get the characters who is shoehorned in just to showcase how diverse the cast are. Back when having the token gay character became all the rage to appease the gay lobby, about 80 to 90% of gay characters on TV shows were like this. Very few were inserted thoughtfully and made sense. Most of them were simply poorly written stereotypes or suddenly "outed" former characters.

But then, my quibble above references the first point: the shows that did it well had good story and did their insertions in a well-written or and thoughtful way that felt natural. It's possible they might already have been headed that direction.
edit on 17-12-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

join