It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Flashpoint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Does anyone here remember the game "Operation Flashpoint" for PC? It's only a few years old I think, maybe 3 or 4. In any case, I bought it when it first came out. I really liked it at the time. Recently though, I started messing with it again.

Has anyone else every played it before? The reason I bring this up is the idea behind the game. There are giant islands....over 10 sq ki a peice. Literally, if you inserted yourself at one end of one of these islands, and tried walking to the other, it could take you hours. Fully 3d....and you can explore anywhere. The only boundries are as far as you can run out into the ocean before drown. All the vehicles are interactive, and depending on your relative rank, you could be leading a squad of your own..issueing specific instructions to each individual. You could be part of a huge 1000 man assault force if you wanted.

The idea behind this game is awesome, and I had forgotten. Games like Ghost recon had distracted me for a while. So when I started playing it a few days ago, I realized that some of the graphics may suffer a little due to the immense size of the islands, and there are some kinks to it, but it is truly a fun game.

The mission editor is probably the best feature. You can create any mission you desire providing your PC can handle it.

Ok, I just wanted to shout out a little for that game.....

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Where did you get it?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
THE GAME IS THE BEAST, BUT IT WAS SOOOOO HARD 2 BEAT, BUT SENSE IT IS VEEERRRRY GOOD AND INTERESTING, I was able 2 beat the game in 2003. 80 Missions=40 4 the American, and 20, each, 4 the Soviet and Resistance Campaigns is long, but the storyline is excellent. Plus, sense it has a Mission Editor, U CAN CREATE MAAAANNNNY IDEAS!!!
Plain and Simple= "Operation Flashpoint"=
5 out of 5

D

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Nothing beats Flashpoint in terms of military simulation. Love flying around in a Cobra picking off tanks and bmp's. If you loved Flashpoint, look out for Battlefield 2. Three sides, US, China, and the Middle East Coalition. Due out sometime in March I think.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by D
Nothing beats Flashpoint in terms of military simulation. Love flying around in a Cobra picking off tanks and bmp's. If you loved Flashpoint, look out for Battlefield 2. Three sides, US, China, and the Middle East Coalition. Due out sometime in March I think.

I've heard about that. Like C&C Generals, only an FPS.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by D

I agree with your opinion of military simulation. Is battlefield going to be the same idea? I am gonna like it if that is the case.

I bought it at best buy a few years ago to the person who asked. Its a little older, so its cheap now, you should check it out.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
i pre-ordered operation flashpoint for the xbox on the 10th january 2003. is that bloody thing ever going to come out?? it still has it on the site as being made

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I am sure it will eventually, but cancel your order and get it for PC!

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I recently got the GOTY edition off the internet for 20$, if you like anything military GET THIS GAME! Besides the huge amount of content, you can download hundreds of vehicles, weapons, missions, models and even a few total conversions (WW2, Vietnam, desert storm, kosovo, etc). My favorite part is the mission editor, you can make a wide variety of scenarios with very little effort. Those guys at PC Gamer were nuts for picking ghost recon over OpFlash for game of the year, I have both and ghost recon sucks compared to OpFlash. The AI on this game will actually take cover, break and run if their squad gets sluaghtered, hide from tanks, and more. I almost forgot, the vehicles! You can drive anything you come across, even enemy helicopters (though that might be stretching the realism a bit).

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I like OF, but I wouldn't go as far as saying Ghost Recon sucks. The first time I ever played GR, (anyone who has played should know what I am talking about here) I was running along the cliff, and I ran right out into the open in front of a bunker with a machine gun post. It scared the heck out of me, but I quickly neutralized the threat, only to realize I was still under heavy fire. (Little did I know there was another machine gun nest high atop that cliff fireing at me)

I went prone, and in my field of view was one of my team members very close by. I heard the pop and the realism of his whole body being turned around by the shot was stunning. He wasn't dead and tried to fire I presume, but was hit again and killed. Very realistic sounds and motions. Next thing I remeber is hearing shots hitting the ground all around me, and seeing the dirt fly up from them. I was out in the open, and in trouble, so I stood up and started to run up the hill towards some trees. As soon as I started to move towards them, I onserved multiple infantry contacts moving out of them right at me. I guess I gave up my position, so I turned to the left and ran towards the bunker I cleared out in the first place, and even though it was only a few steps away, I did not make it.

Pretty action packed. I was almost out of breath...(you have to take it a little slower in this game)

The AI was good I thought, ducking and taking cover. I also like the mission planning screen where you can guide your team members by map.

There are 3 major differences between Operation Flashpoint and Ghost Recon.

1) Graphics in Ghost Recon are far supperior.
2) Playable area in Operation FLashpoint is FAR FAR FAR supperior.
3) Operation Flashpoint has a mission editor that really kicks but.

I just could never bring myself to saying Ghost Recon SUcks, even though I like OF better.

top topics

join