It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Democracy in Action: Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The US-backed Iraqi government has imposed an extended curfew in Iraq for election security. Human Rights Watch reports that "security forces are arbitrarily arresting people and systematically torturing and abusing detainees. ...The Iraqi interim government led by Prime Minister Ayad Allawi ... appears to be actively taking part, or is at least complicit, in these grave violations of fundamental human rights. Nor has the United States, the United Kingdom or other involved governments publicly taken up these issues as a matter of concern." Also, the report said, US government funded international police advisers "have turned a blind eye to these rampant abuses."

www.nola.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) — The government said Wednesday it would ban travel between provinces and extend the hours of a curfew as part of heightened security before Iraq's weekend elections.

..."The fate of country hinges on the participation of its people to determine its fate" ...(says Interior Minister Falah al-Naqib)...

He played down a report by Human Rights Watch that Iraqi security forces are arbitrarily arresting people and systematically torturing and abusing detainees. He acknowledged "some violations at the beginning" but added: "We have put it under control."

"We are forbidding any act of torture or anything else against the prisoners ... there are instructions in the ministry against using any of these techniques," he said.

The Human Rights Watch report said that with a few exceptions, Iraqi authorities have not acted to stop such mistreatment. International police advisers, largely funded by the U.S. government, "have turned a blind eye to these rampant abuses," it said.

"The Iraqi interim government led by Prime Minister Ayad Allawi ... appears to be actively taking part, or is at least complicit, in these grave violations of fundamental human rights. Nor has the United States, the United Kingdom or other involved governments publicly taken up these issues as a matter of concern," the report said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is Iraq's introduction to democracy. No illusions will survive the experience. No ideals will be taken prisoner.

Pinochet, Hussein, bin Laden, Trujillo, Noriega, move over.

For a quick refresher:

The US has become adept at creating monsters. Osama bin Laden is only the latest in a long line of US-backed despots, dictators, and criminals against humanity. Too many times to count, the US has supplied the training and support to bring into power a leader who abuses human rights, traffics drugs, demolishes democracy, or commits massacres and genocide.

The official story is that the US -- usually through the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) -- has made a series of mistakes. Backing Saddam Hussein was a mistake. Backing Manuel Noriega was a mistake. Backing the Taliban was a mistake. The CIA took a chance on these guys, and the project backfired. There's even a word for it -- "blowback."

But the leaders in question hardly started out "good" and then "turned evil." Most of these leaders were corrupt, ruthless, anti-democratic, and murderous long before they bit the US hand that fed them. Often, it was this very behavior which made them suitable candidates for support. US backing only stopped when the leader was no longer useful in achieving US aims or became "disobedient."

The stories of these infamous leaders are often surprising and always disturbing, and they offer valuable insights into the strategy behind US foreign affairs.

www.geocities.com...

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
www.fff.org
www.jlhs.nhusd.k12.ca.us

www.atsnn.com...

[edit on 27-1-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Even if it's gonna be a farce, let's get it over and done with and get the troops back home as soon as possible.

Spoke to some crews in the Gulf last week. Jittery as hell. All sorts of psychosomatic symptoms. One even told me that he developed bladder problems at the sound of gunfire.

Whats' done is done (even though I personally believe that the whole invasion was wrong in the first place). Just get this damn circus over and done with. Too many are dying and falling ill. The costs to their families and themselves is just too great. We're gonna have a generation of very sick people when they do come back.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Another good issue Soficrow.

I was talking to my neighbor the other day,[ a hard core Republican,] and he was outraged that I suggested that We supported Hussain, ever. A perfect example of someone who works all day, goes to church every Sunday and never watches anything but reality TV. A perfect example of what our country is becoming--brain-dead.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Thanks kazi...

dixon - I know our boys are suffering - but we did something here we need to account for - and it's too, too much like other times we've paid the bill for corporations to colonize, in our name, and leave masses of people bleeding and dying without even their old hovels. ...We don't make it better for them, we make it worse. And it's wrong, dontcha think?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Definitely wrong. Got my unqualified agreement there.

But, there seems no way out of this mess. George of the Jungle cannot and will not lose his "face" and the Iraqis / region cannot stomach another American satellite there.

Accountability before making a strategic retreat would, in my opinion, be one more life too many.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dixon
George of the Jungle cannot and will not lose his "face" and the Iraqis / region cannot stomach another American satellite there.

...Doesn't the UN have a peacekeeping fuunction? ...Can't we strong-arm the Bush into backing out and letting them run the show? ...UN crits aside, it's supposed to be a democratic organization that represents world interests, and real people.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I believe that's what TB may be angling at to get his butt out of being stuck in the air, but the UN may intervene only if asked by the "Iraqi" government. This option still causes a major embarrassment for George of the Jungle as many people will call it for what it really is : failure.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dixon
This option still causes a major embarrassment for George of the Jungle as many people will call it for what it really is : failure.

...but he didn't fail - he accomplished exactly what he set out to do:

* Appropriate Iraq's oil for the chosen few.

* Funnel Trillion$ of dollars of taxpayer money into corporate coffers.

It's done, over. And according to the standard scenario, Iraqi's have just exchanged one dictator for another, under US control.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
UPDATE: Iraq's Election Commission Backtracks on Figures

I thought the claims about Iraqi election turn-out sounded too good to be true, so I checked to see what Al-Jazeera was saying.

Confusion surrounds turnout statistics in Iraq's election, with the country's election commission backtracking on a statement that 72% had voted and top politicians insisting the turnout was high.

The commission said its initial tally had been little more than a guess based on local estimates.

"Turnout figures recently announced represent the enormous and understandable enthusiasm felt in the field on this historic day," a commission statement said.

"However, these figures are only very rough, word-of-mouth estimates gathered informally from the field. It will take some time for the Independent Electoral Commission of Iraq to release accurate figures on turnout."

english.aljazeera.net...

More spin. Like the man says, it will take time to run the real figures.

new topics

top topics

join