It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise T-X entry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
In a surprise move, Sierra Nevada has announced a partnership with Turkish Aerospace Industries to offer the clean sheet Freedom trainer design they've quietly developed.

The aircraft is similar in size to a T-38, with a 30% better fuel consumption, while meeting all the requirements the Air Force has put forward. One aircraft is currently flying in Denver, where the company has been working on them. It is powered by the Williams FJ44-4M, currently used in the L-39NG and M345.

aviationweek.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Should be interesting.

RAB

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Hi Guys,

I like it looks nice and light and I'll guess that it'll be very high subsonic.

But this will all depend on the final RFP spec's the USAF may wish or need a Red air or 2nd light attack role, although the T38 has no secondary role.

RAB

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Thanks for the update, but I was just curious does the military have any vehicle that is built or partnered with another country, besides maybe the UK? Seems like a great replacement but feels odd we would be using anything from turkey especially with the way politics and trouble from their president have been going lately.

I like Sierra Nevada and think they are very capable, I just don't understand exactly what turkey is bringing to the table.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I think it's a good idea. Besides Boeing and maybe NG a lot of the proposed variants are light attack capable or equipped from the get go. These jets, for practical purposes in the US, don't need weaponry. They also don't need advanced fighter jet engines. I like the proposal. I'm guessing having TAI involved gives them easier access to certain technologies that are going to be integrated into the air frame.

I'm ok with any aircraft that can adequately replicate training environments to provide top notch pilot experience for 5th gen fights and more importantly do so as cheaply and efficiently as possible so that more money can be spent on some more glaring needs. T-X doesn't have to be a Maserati, a Mustang will do just fine.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

The only area I see them having a problem is the light attack portion. The Air Force may call for it to be able to be used in that role in the future. Other than that I can see it being a pretty good fit, especially if the fuel burn is that much better.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

the biggest risk IMHO will be political. The Erdoğan government of Turkey will no doubt be brought up during the various down selects.

SNC paired with a TAI is not a shocker however, since SNC is already working on a regional jet in turkey based in part on the Dornier 328

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
You USAF types ...PICTURES ....geeze.

edit on 17-12-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

And with the killing of a Russian ambassador in Turkey and that country looking more and more like the hell on earth that it is.. I doubt there will be any new deals with TAI for a while. Hopefully Sierra Nevada owns enough of it to just go solo.

Anyway if you squint just right did they try to capture some of the lines of the 35?

new topics

top topics

join