It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharyl Attkisson: Fake News is a Propaganda Campaign Started by the Left.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I don't blame fake news for Hillary's defeat, but I do think the issue of fake news is something that should be looked into. Flagging news that is really fake is something that should be done. I do understand the potential for abuse, but the articles I've read show the kind of action that is going to be taken - Facebook, for example, will be flagging fake news using a non-partisan committee.
edit on 17amSat, 17 Dec 2016 09:04:39 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheScale
a reply to: dfnj2015

geeze you really shouldnt jump to wild conclusions. both sides get bad news. the difference ive noticed when debating republicans and democrats is that the republicans when given the evidence that refutes there point will usually agree or atleast concede some points. on the flip side, when the evidence is presented to democrats they usually start going to personal attacks or deflection and they dig there heels in even harder which ends up making them look completely foolish yet they will continue on down that path indefinetly. its as if no matter how much evidence i present it doesnt matter to them. for example, the decades of lying HRC has done that is on the record.

I have found just the opposite. Whenever you criticize the Republicans they immediately flip it and accuse the Democrats of the same activity.

Evidence is irrelevant when we are talking about opinions. Opinions are neither true or false. Opinions are neither right or wrong. Opinions are not truth. Opinions are judgments.

Now everything in politics is an opinion. There is no truth. There are no facts. Either you think a public policy is "good" or you think it is "bad".

I have a problem with anyone who thinks their own opinion is not an opinion but a fact. I have found that more Republicans than Democrats think their own opinions are facts.

For example, you claim HRC has been lying for decades. When I looked up what people considered lies you could have the opinion that she just did know what she was talking about or said something that wasn't quite right. But your opinion is that she "lied" maliciously. Thinking she lied maliciously is clearly and opinion and not a fact.

But what difference does it make. All the Democrats and Liberals have been vanquished from government. After years of Republican gerrymandering have finally ensured one party rule. So finally Republicans are completely responsible for everything in government. So if you have complaint, who is left to blame? The Democrats have NO power so you can't blame them.

If the Senate doesn't have the 60 vote rule then making a law outlawing abortion could be signed by Trump in a few months. Maybe this time the Republicans will outlaw killing babies. But I suspect Republicans are just as bad as Democrats, we will have the 60 vote rule in the Senate, and abortion will continue to be legal.

Without the 60 vote rule in the Senate the Republicans will not have anyone to blame. I bet you dollars to donuts the Republicans will setup the rules in the Senate so they can blame the Democrats and not get anything done. This is how our government works. Political cover is more important the stopping the killing of babies.

I will still stand by what I said. Most news is fake news distorted or just outright made up just to get ratings. News stories are designed to get people mad and outrage. When people are angry they will continue to watch. It's all about ratings and making money. News is source of making money. The accuracy of the content is irrelevant. People who own the media outlets don't care about the quality of the political electoric's understanding of the government. All they want to do is make money. So airing a story that Hillary is a pedophile makes money they will do it. Airing a story Trump made sexual advances on beauty pageant contestants they will run it. It's all about ratings. It's all about making money. The country be damned.

edit on 17-12-2016 by dfnj2015 because: typos

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I haven't been able to find common ground with a movement that celebrates and promotes lies meant to appeal to ignorant people's worst impulses..but posts like yours do encourage me to keep looking. Country first..but much of what Trumpites encourage is contrary to our founding principles.

Playing nice put a Menace in the WH. For now I am in a eff them and the anti-american wanna be tyrant they rode in on kind of mood....but you do remind me of the 3rd way..star for you as usual.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Thank you for being the example i was using. there is a mountain of evidence of hillary lying and its not just opinion. remember when she landed under sniper fire? or how benghazi was due to a video? lying about her home server like how she never recieved the briefing on how to handle classified info? her signature is on the document your required to sign when youve been briefed. so the facts are all over the place, not opinions. btw i will rip into the republicans just as bad. im not a part of either party cause they are both despicable and are the same side of the coin. maybe a little different flavor but in the end u get the same thing. also thank you for proving my point on deflection. your last 3 paragraphs or so prove that point aswell.

edit on 17-12-2016 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2016 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Both sides of the aisle have their "fake news". The funny part about it is the hardcore leftists think only the right are given fake news. I literally LOL at my desk every morning at some of these threads.

I think a major part of the problem specifically on this site is the blatant racism charges us Trump supporters have had to endure for the past year or so. It's ridiculous and to be frank is an all-time low partisan attack by the leftists of this site. It's one thing to hear MSM pushing the narrative that we're all racists or bigots. It's another when fellow posters on this site are calling you a racist over supporting a candidate. I used to come to ATS to get an unbiased view of political news since it's so hard with the MSM. Now, I don't even take this site seriously anymore. It's become a site to troll the trolls basically.

So do a ton of conservatives... A lot of conservatives are totally brainwashed as well.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

We do not need to censor "fake news". We just need to inform people so that they are aware of it.

What's funny though, is the calls from people on the Right for the FCC to get involved and revoke the licences of media outlets like CNN, MSNBC and such.

It is dishonest for anyone to say that the Left is the problem here, when the Right is engaging in the same push for censorship and violation of the 1st amendment.

I think all news should be allowed, and it's up to the reader to verify it's factual base. But when the MSM, (the main ones) are spreading bull#, it has a serious effect on the population as a whole. Most people aren't involved enough to vet their news, they just accept what they are told. So even though we at ATS might see through some garbage, most won't.

In that light, the MSM should be held to a higher standard and as of late, they are doing the exact thing they claim to be against.

how to police that, I have no idea.

Real news consists of raw footage with no photoshopped pictures. In the past there were scandals when newspaper editors airbrushed ourt features of a photograph so that it would sit better on the front page (Kenst State shooting casualty).

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Fake news will eventually be solved by the media as new news outlets figure out exposing fake news makes them money. Youll see more start ups like vice pop on the scene to fill that void. Today number of viewers is important and broadcast and cable networks had an advantage. But with alternative sources created with the internet and access to large number of viewers will see things change. Once a network actually starts pointing out the lies of the networks they will police themselves. In part I think this is there fear that real journalists will call them out its starting already as several journalists are breaking rank.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
i think that news story is fake news created by the right to stop the left from stopping fake news created by the right, about the left.... and vice versa...

this is just a fad. it will go away when they want to shift the public's attention to something else.

This is not a fad and this is something the CIA has been doing [co-opting MSM networks to push specific narratives] since the 1970's at it's latest. They have done this since news has existed.

Fake news is anything that cannot be verified or properly sourced.

The washington posts Article "James B. Comey and James R. Clapper Jr. being in agreement with the CIA that Russia influenced the election, according to US officials"

This is fake news. They claim it came from an anonymous source that is a US government official. All they had to do to verify the source was call Comey and Clapper Jr. and ask them if they agree, they didn't even follow up with the non-anonymous names that were dropped by their source, which means they didn't try to verify the truth of the source. This tells me that the source is sitting in the office of Washington Post under instruction from the Obama Administration.

An anonymous source isn't a source if it cannot be verified, and when you verify a source, you source that verification. A source gives you a tip that you didn't know about. Now you know about it, journalism starts HERE, now you investigate and verify the information the source gave you. If this isn't done, it's fake news.
edit on 19-12-2016 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join