It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York city offering workers therapy to cope with Trump-Induced stress.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Next up in the "can this actually be real news" department...

New York City is offering its municipal workforce counseling services and other support for dealing with election-year stress brought on by Donald Trump’s election.

In a Dec. 1 email, the de Blasio administration pointed to mental health resources that are available to workers who are “feeling distressed or vulnerable following the election results.”

“We have seen the concerns expressed on social media and we are monitoring them closely,” the emails reads.

The half-dozen agencies involved include the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs, the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Department of Education, as well as Deputy Mayor for Strategic Policies Richard Buery, who is overseeing the city’s mental health initiative known as Thrive NYC.

Now, veterans are dying in the streets in NY and other cities. Homelessness is rampant, mental disorders are driving people onto the streets.

But New York Mayor de Blasio needs to spend a lot of money to make sure his municipal workforce has the tools they need to deal with... an election.

And the left is still wondering why they lost.

NYP article

Fox Linkie

According to the New York Post, Mayor Bill de Blasio is creating a citywide safe space for New York City’s municipal workers and offering them psychotherapy sessions to deal with the results of the presidential election.

Taken literally (and we should), the mayor is telling citizens of New York City that they should indulge any potential weakness inside them that makes them believe they can’t deal with the results of American democracy when the results don’t go their way — that they’re easily injured, inherently weak and don’t have the personal fortitude to keep fighting for what they believe in.

See, there are politicians who will use any occasion to coax people into dependency on the state — whether for food, shelter, the raising of their children or hand-holding — when anything in life doesn’t go their way.

Remember, Mayor DiBlasio is offering New Yorkers therapy to cope with the results of an election. These are the same people who battle—every day—the vagaries of living in the largest metropolitan area in the country. These are the same people who survived 9/11.

Any rational thoughts on this development?

edit on 22Thu, 15 Dec 2016 22:55:44 -0600America/Chicago16th2016-12-15T22:55:44-06:00pmThursdayAmerica/Chicago by GreyScale because: Because people can't read so I added a video to help them

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: GreyScale

SOunds like they are reminding employees of the Employee Assistance Program. The headline is just a half truth.

EAP's are SOP in the corporate world and are there to reduce call outs by improving support for employees lacking support. The assistance is likely just someone talking you through how to suck it up and get on with life. Thats what counseling is.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Well, the Left lost the Electoral College just like they did in 2000. The Left won the popular vote, just like they did in 2000.

I dunno why the Mayor is doing this but I'm sure he's not spending millions of tax dollars offering mental health services. I'd actually like to read the email and see what exactly is being offered.

Btw, your Fox link takes us back to the NYP link.
edit on 15-12-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

SOunds like they are reminding employees of the Employee Assistance Program. The headline is just a half truth.

EAP's are SOP in the corporate world and are there to reduce call outs by improving support for employees lacking support. The assistance is likely just someone talking you through how to suck it up and get on with life. Thats what counseling is.

You can possibly read the provided links.

Thank you for your opinion!

(post by GreyScale removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I did. They both go to the same place, and it doesn't quote the entire email.

So im drawing my own conclusions using the common sense my position as an executive provides me.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Lets say Im already paying for an EAP, and see an opportunity to point employees who have issues, regardless of them, to it.

Is e playing politics? Sure. he's a politician. But in the end, the money was almost certainly already spent, and they are using an existing program.

I've seen similar done before, where a specific incident (refinery explosion in a community) causes mangement to push the EAP

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Ill be damned.....rational explanation wins out:

www.weeklystandard.com...

The email, which contained the subject line, "Feeling stressed? Resources for City employees", included the letterhead of three organizations: the New York City Employee Assistance Program; Thrive NYC (the city government's mental health initiative); and Work Well NYC, which runs the city workers' health plan. But plenty of other government agencies are involved in the initiative to help New York city employees.

Bolded emphasis mine

it goes on

The email contains links to several such resources, including literature on "coping with stressful events", helping children cope with stress, and "tips for self-care." The city's department of education is "also developing supportive activities in schools and working with Thrive NYC's School Mental Health Consultants program to promote our students' mental wellness," according to the email.

Its all SOP for a corporate structure.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Way to be offensive. I did read your links and the email isn't in there. You should read the 2nd post in your thread to fully understand what's going on. Your sources are biased for Trump, Fox News and the NYP so it's no wonder they attacked the democratic Major because partisan hacks.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Oh yeah, I agree with your assessment, makes perfect sense.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   

my message to the " poor " municipal emplouees of NYC

get a fooking grip

you are unionised civil servants in a 1st world nation - with healthcare , job security and a standard of living that 5 billion people can only dream of

if you are so " distressed " by an election - you do not deserve a job - and in my opinion you are not competant to be running a city

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Oh look another right wing spin story.

*yawn*

new topics

top topics

join