It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian scientists find NEW life form in Antarctica---14% unknown DNA.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Russian scientists have reported discovering a new life form in subglacial Lake Vostok in Antarctica. Interestingly, experts say that the newly discovered lifeform is only 86% genetically similar to all known living organisms.

In 2016, Sergei Bulat, head of the cryobiology laboratory at the University of Nuclear Physics in St. Petersburg, announced the discovery of a new life form in Antarctica: a bacterium found in a subglacial lake that could only be accessed after drilling through four kilometers of ice.

Between 1959 and 1964 the Soviets made several scientific expeditions to Antarctica in which they performed numerous geological surveys.

It should not be forgotten that most of the continent is covered by a layer of ice with an avera

wearechange.org...

Really odd find in a place that is off limits to most. The find is only 86% similar to all other organisms. This means that 14% of this discovery is new to science. That is an interesting fact.

The scientists sat they are hundreds or maybe thousands of microscopic species that are yet to be identified. But this find, named w123-10 is a new life form.

edit on 15-12-2016 by seasonal because: spacing

edit on 15-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Your link is messed up. And I don't think an ATS thread as your source quite cuts it.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Awesome- Oh wait, I mean science is evil- they're probably just making it up to get government grants.

That's what the wise majority of ATS posters would say.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Does Russia dole out $ willey nilley like the US?

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Thanks, I wonder how I pulled that one off? It is fixed, thanks for the heads up.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

proper link here, use google translate to convert Russian to English

lenta.ru...

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Sounds like the start to a good movie where almost everyone dies.

Can't wait

edit on 15-12-2016 by Quantumgamer1776 because: Editing

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

First thing I was wondering is what kind of protection are the scientists using so their eyes don't go black and puke bile.

(post by DogsGonads removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DogsGonads

This is not a thread to make derogatory political comments, find another thread Troll.

If you aren't interested in biology and science, why are you commenting in here?

Get over it already and make a real contribution.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

(post by DogsGonads removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

And I just watched The Thing last night.

Cool find.
edit on 15-12-2016 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DogsGonads

ATS is my safe space. And regardless of your position in the line of gloating ignorance, you're clearly not up-to-speed.

If you aren't contributing to the OP, you are probably derailing or trolling.

Maybe you need a safe, padded space where you can spout all the nonsense you like without recrimination.
edit on 15-12-2016 by sunkuong because: Grammar Nazis

* Very sorry for the drifting, Mods. I just literally cannot take any more of this baiting nonsense.

Good find OP, I hope that these sorts of discoveries lead us upward and onward. Thanks for putting it out there.
edit on 15-12-2016 by sunkuong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: sunkuong

Your welcome, I can't imagine the look on the scientist's faces when they read the test results. 14% unknown DNA. Crazy cool.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

The combination of unique genome + environmental isolation + extreme conditions will offer those who look for such cases, years of research and who-knows what possible scientific gain.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Very true, who knows what they will find.

Do you have any concerns about what they are pulling out from under all that ice?

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I would think that the concern should be equally for what they put in. and what they pull out and. Are the drills sterile? Will we find a rare form of life, and render it extinct before we know much about it.

Good to be sampling the shoreline before we step off this blue ball looking for microbes in space.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

It is said we know more about the moon than about the deep ocean. Imagine that. It's right there, but it is very hard to study.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join