It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

368 gymnasts allege sexual exploitation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
In the wake of the false news events, at least 368 gymnasts have alleged some form of sexual abuse at the hands of their coaches, gym owners and other adults working in gymnastics. That’s a rate of one every 20 days. And it's likely an undercount.

In an environment where predators can exploit the innocence of children, you all to often see them lurking about with unknowing parents.

INDYSTAR INVESTIGATIONS REVEALED THAT CHILDREN WERE BEING ABUSED IN GYMNASTICS GYMS, BUT NO ONE KNEW HOW WIDESPREAD THE PROBLEM WAS. UNTIL NOW.

A 12-year-old gymnast molested by an Olympic coach during “therapy” sessions.

Children as young as 6 secretly photographed nude by coaches.

Coaches who slipped a finger inside girls’ leotards.

A coach having almost daily sex with a 14-year-old at one of the country’s most prestigious gyms.

IndyStar previously reported that top officials at USA Gymnastics, one of the nation’s most prominent Olympic organizations, failed to alert police to many allegations of sexual abuse that occurred on their watch and stashed complaints in files that have been kept secret. But the problem is far worse. A nine-month investigation found that predatory coaches were allowed to move from gym to gym, undetected by a lax system of oversight, or dangerously passed on by USA Gymnastics-certified gyms.

USA Gymnastics calls itself a leader in child safety. In a statement responding to IndyStar’s questions, it said: “Nothing is more important to USA Gymnastics, the Board of Directors and CEO Steve Penny than protecting athletes, which requires sustained vigilance by everyone — coaches, athletes, parents, administrators and officials. We are saddened when any athlete has been harmed in the course of his or her gymnastics career.”

The way people in general behave, Secrets in closed groups are best kept hidden if everyone is along on the ride. The more perverted, the better kept secret.

I hope you read the article..

Source

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
In the wake of the false news events, at least 368 gymnasts have alleged some form of sexual abuse at the hands of their coaches, gym owners and other adults working in gymnastics. That’s a rate of one every 20 days. And it's likely an undercount.

In an environment where predators can exploit the innocence of children, you all to often see them lurking about with unknowing parents.

INDYSTAR INVESTIGATIONS REVEALED THAT CHILDREN WERE BEING ABUSED IN GYMNASTICS GYMS, BUT NO ONE KNEW HOW WIDESPREAD THE PROBLEM WAS. UNTIL NOW.

A 12-year-old gymnast molested by an Olympic coach during “therapy” sessions.

Children as young as 6 secretly photographed nude by coaches.

Coaches who slipped a finger inside girls’ leotards.

A coach having almost daily sex with a 14-year-old at one of the country’s most prestigious gyms.

IndyStar previously reported that top officials at USA Gymnastics, one of the nation’s most prominent Olympic organizations, failed to alert police to many allegations of sexual abuse that occurred on their watch and stashed complaints in files that have been kept secret. But the problem is far worse. A nine-month investigation found that predatory coaches were allowed to move from gym to gym, undetected by a lax system of oversight, or dangerously passed on by USA Gymnastics-certified gyms.

USA Gymnastics calls itself a leader in child safety. In a statement responding to IndyStar’s questions, it said: “Nothing is more important to USA Gymnastics, the Board of Directors and CEO Steve Penny than protecting athletes, which requires sustained vigilance by everyone — coaches, athletes, parents, administrators and officials. We are saddened when any athlete has been harmed in the course of his or her gymnastics career.”

The way people in general behave, Secrets in closed groups are best kept hidden if everyone is along on the ride. The more perverted, the better kept secret.

I hope you read the article..

Source

Well that is sickening. My oldest daughter is heavily involved in gymnastics and thankfully she is not at this level that she has anything like this going on. Makes me want to puke.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
This is the why of parental involvement in children's activities.

Just droppin' 'em off, and coming to pick 'em up isn't involvement.

Some people need to hang.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
This is the why of parental involvement in children's activities.

Just droppin' 'em off, and coming to pick 'em up isn't involvement.

Some people need to hang.

Completely agree and never just drop off. Besides I also like to watch how she progresses and be able to give her help based on what I see where I can help.

The problem comes in when they start to get REALLY good and have to travel....that is what I'm most worried about. I had to do the same for sports when I was younger but never had anything weird happen. The fact this is such a large organization and happened to so many is baffling that no parents noticed for so long.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang
This has been discussed in the past, so many people are aware of its existence. They even did an episode "Pixies" on Law and Order SVU that dealt with the subject, and that was back in 2001.

See that is the thing about child sexual abuse. It is not new. It has been going on for centuries, covered up for centuries, ignored for centuries. The only thing new about it is that people can now show their disdain and can call out the perpetrators anonymously and from a distance.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

when my niece played soccer, I was there every day. Mostly just watching, though I'd occasionally, since I was at the time, an internationally sanctioned referee (though I never actually ref'd one), and a former select level (U20) player, I'd help out. I never, ever wasn't near by.

Any one even remotely looking like harming my niece wouldn't live long enough to regret it. I've never understood parents doing things like dropping off, especially at that age--anything under 30 for me. Drives my niece nuts...but I don't care, she's worth more to me than the entirety of the world and everything on it.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull
You remind me so much of my brother. He used to drive the girls to schools and pick them up. One day my 16 year old asked my brother, "Uncle, when am I going to be old enough to catch the bus and go to school by myself?" He told her, "When you graduate college."

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Vasa Croe

when my niece played soccer, I was there every day. Mostly just watching, though I'd occasionally, since I was at the time, an internationally sanctioned referee (though I never actually ref'd one), and a former select level (U20) player, I'd help out. I never, ever wasn't near by.

Any one even remotely looking like harming my niece wouldn't live long enough to regret it. I've never understood parents doing things like dropping off, especially at that age--anything under 30 for me. Drives my niece nuts...but I don't care, she's worth more to me than the entirety of the world and everything on it.

It appears you may be my brother from another mother...

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I teach kids mma and muay thai at my gym occasionally. We actively encourage parents to sit in and watch and even though sometimes we get a know it all dad that wants to pull us up on every detail and disrupt the class; we still love having them there.

Any club, sport or activity that kids are involved in should welcome parents, if they don't .... find somewhere that does.

posted on Dec, 17 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Any club, sport or activity that kids are involved in should welcome parents, if they don't .... find somewhere that does.

...and make sure to publicly ask why they don't. Any place like that, that doesn't welcome parents? There's something goin' on, and no matter what it is, it's no place for kids.

new topics

top topics

join