It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney: Fired IT Workers Had to Train Their Indian Replacement/ Suing For Discrimination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Monday 30 former IT workers that were fired after training the Indian replacements filed a lawsuit against Disney. Oddly enough all the replacement workers were of Indian origin.

On Monday, the 30 former IT workers filed a suit against the company in an Orlando federal court. They’re seeking punitive damages.

The lawsuit contends that 250 IT workers in Florida were told they would need to train their replacements before they were fired at the end of 2014. Each replacement worker was of Indian origin, and was either brought from overseas or working outside the United States, according to the lawsuit.

The law suit also said there has been violations of older worker benefit protection Act, this protects workers from age discrimination. Also the suit mentions that managers were unprofessional to the fired workers and treated the replacement workers special.

The lawsuit also alleges violations of the Older Worker Benefit Protection Act, which protects workers from age discrimination.

Disney managers were “being curt and unprofessional toward plaintiffs but treating the foreign replacements with special treatment,” the lawsuit said. “Plaintiffs were subjected to disparate treatment by defendant solely based on race or color and ancestry.”

miami.cbslocal.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I wish them luck but I am not going to hold my breath... if they are lucky Disney will settle quickly to make it go away, but no change will actually occur.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Something is wrong with the system if this is true. There is no way that the company should be able to get away with something like this.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Surely one has some info on a USB stick he can trade to Russian Disney?

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Irishhaf

Something is wrong with the system if this is true. There is no way that the company should be able to get away with something like this.
they will though it's the benefit of being a big company they can do whatever they want and get away with it.

It's disgusting how they treated their staff I would've refused to train them had I have been in that situation

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I agree it is disgusting, and hopefully something will change...

The cynic in me just doesnt see it happening.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkman258

They keep your severance if you don't agree to gag order and training of the replacements.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Disney isn't the only company doing this... pretty much any company that hires a lot of IT staff does it. Companies will argue that they can't fill the jobs. It is a lie. They can fill the jobs. However, Indians don't make nearly as much as their US counterparts.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

They keep your severance if you don't agree to gag order and training of the replacements.
survey this can't be legal I know they don't ever pay attention to the law but there is somthing fundamentally wrong with having to leave your job whilst training your replacement for no reason but not being aloud to voice your distaste of it

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

They they give you a bad reference and no severance..it's bullshiit

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This story is either years old or repeating again!! (Blaming the source, not the op!) this happened in 2012 again with Disney imagineers ((cute) laid off had to train Indian replacements, courts found for engineers and paid a massive settlement! ( I'll dig out original source) a reply to: seasonal

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

The problem is that the companies do not really care , if they get a lawsuit , and have to pay a sum of money to the damaged party they still have profit in the long term because of the outsourcing.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

This is a problem that solves itself. Who would want to work for Disney after reading about this story? You work there for maybe 15 years and because they can hire someone who does half the work for 25% less money, they'll fire you and hire someone else for the 25% savings. The plaintiffs shouldn't have a leg to stand on as this is a simple financial mistake by Disney for giving raises to employees that they later reneg on by firing people.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Unrestrained capitalism is as dangerous as any other corrupt system.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

Needs to regulations that force this very profitable company to care.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: fractal5

Maybe, I think there needs to be stiffer regs. There is an obvious blind spot in the law.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Disney isn't the only company doing this... pretty much any company that hires a lot of IT staff does it. Companies will argue that they can't fill the jobs. It is a lie. They can fill the jobs. However, Indians don't make nearly as much as their US counterparts.

Sounds like how competition is supposed to work to me. Someone else came along willing to do the job for less.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonalshould have sued in miami orlando is bought and paid for by that damn mouse.
disney is known for screwing there employees. park workers are termed cast members to keep them from protections for regular hourly employees. mouse just greedy for all the cheese.

posted on Jan, 28 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   
These are incidents really not much different than the off-shore outsourcing of manufacturing that Trump is actively trying to discourage, using tariffs on the imported products. What he should do in this case (IMHO), is to tax these companies the difference in what they had paid their US employees and what they are getting this labor for now, as income, thus cancelling the incentive to do it in the future.

top topics

join