It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why General Motors is asking the Supreme Court to say it’s only 7 years old — not 108

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

When a company reorganizes itself through a bankruptcy, is it the same company? And if so, is it liable for alleged wrongdoing committed by the previous version of itself?

These are questions raised by General Motors’ efforts to dodge hundreds of lawsuits related to a potentially fatal ignition-switch flaw in millions of its older sedans. After receiving a stinging defeat in a federal appellate court this past summer, the automaker is now making a Hail Mary pass to the U.S. Supreme Court to try to convince judges that it has reincarnated into a seven-year-old car company free of liabilities from its previous life.

GM wants to get away with murder.

As I understand it they're trying to claim that when they bought themselves
using our money stolen from us and I say stolen because I certainly didn't
agree to bail them out. That in doing that they became a new company
no longer responsible for what the old company did.

All those deaths they knew would happen and could have avoided.
Those destroyed families asking for justice are being slapped
across the face right now
edit on 12/15/2016 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow

When a company reorganizes itself through a bankruptcy, is it the same company? And if so, is it liable for alleged wrongdoing committed by the previous version of itself?

These are questions raised by General Motors’ efforts to dodge hundreds of lawsuits related to a potentially fatal ignition-switch flaw in millions of its older sedans. After receiving a stinging defeat in a federal appellate court this past summer, the automaker is now making a Hail Mary pass to the U.S. Supreme Court to try to convince judges that it has reincarnated into a seven-year-old car company free of liabilities from its previous life.

GM wants to get away with murder.

As I understand it they're trying to claim that when they bought themselves
using our money stolen from us and I say stolen because I certainly didn't
agree to bail them out. That in doing that they became a new company
no longer responsible for what the old company did.

All those deaths they knew would happen and could have avoided.
Those destroyed families asking for justice are being slapped
across the face right now

You got to hand it to lawyers, they are a creative bunch...

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
That's great, can't wait until someone tries to apply this to get out of past criminal records.

If corporations are legally people, and a corporation can get out of past liabilities by claiming bankruptcy then people can do the same. Wait til someone goes, "Oh no, no, I'm not responsible for that, I filed for bankruptcy a few years ago. That was a previous version of myself."

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
That's great, can't wait until someone tries to apply this to get out of past criminal records.

If corporations are legally people, and a corporation can get out of past liabilities by claiming bankruptcy then people can do the same. Wait til someone goes, "Oh no, no, I'm not responsible for that, I filed for bankruptcy a few years ago. That was a previous version of myself."

HAHAHAHA Well some do make claims that you are technically a little corporation.
I think It's Jordan Maxwell that applied that train of thought giving the birth certificate
and our social security numbers. Our names are always printed in full capital denoting us
as a corporation. I should look more into that.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
What a brilliant way to promote new car sales, just throw all your previous customers under the bus..

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
If some how GM can get away with this, i hope it bites them in the ass. As of right now, i see ZERO reasons to buy a GM vehicle over a Toyota.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I remember when I was a kid, if you got screwed you could file bankrupt and get a clean start after some years. They took that option away, and people are still liable for their debts after going bankrupt, aren't they?

Corporations appear to be the new first class citizens.
Tsk, tsk.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

If corporations are legally people
I cant say for sure but suspect that that they are a legal person . You have a legal person and the way it works is that it is a legal fiction ..the person that is . Its kind of like money or a currency .Fiat currency is not the same as a currency backed by something like gold or what have you . That is why you have a birth certificate . its to create the legal fiction of the person . much like a boat that is birthed gets a name as a legal fiction for it .

That is why the creation of laws to protect the unborn child is problematic .until it gets its legal person fiction it has no legal rights . If this sounds stupid and strange to you then welcome to the gang .

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Some debts cannot be discharged under banktruptcy, such as student loans. But the majority of debts, including lawsuits, can be discharged. In fact, if you file bankruptcy while being sued for something other than malicious injury or DUI, it'll stop the lawsuit dead, too.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow

originally posted by: Kharron

HAHAHAHA Well some do make claims that you are technically a little corporation.
I think It's Jordan Maxwell that applied that train of thought giving the birth certificate
and our social security numbers. Our names are always printed in full capital denoting us
as a corporation. I should look more into that.

Yeah, but that dude is just wrong, and doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. It could be a mental disorder, or it could just be waaaaay too many stimulants leading to finding what he things are legitimate connections.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
hmm-if this is allowed-what would be the status of any GM patent issued 2001~2009

top topics

join