It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook is going to use Snopes and other fact checkers to combat fake news

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Real headline: Facebook to promote propaganda and censor the truth.

That is all

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

this is basically an attempt the sway the sheep from viewing click bate articles. a blantant move at control and in the best interest of society.

if you dint agree with something destroy it with facts and data

people who do research arent afraid of fake news

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Good.
Now we need to get ATS in on this.
Deny Ignorance.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: NotTooHappy
Good.
Deny Ignorance.

"Good.
Deny Ignorance for me, I am not capable of telling fact from fiction for myself."

^Fixed it for you.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Great, so Facebook, in efforts to combat FAKE NEWS is going to use Snopes.com who's motto is

" Rumor Has It "

Great job facebook, you're special.
edit on 16-12-2016 by Tranceopticalinclined because: Bubbles

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

It's amazing that entire 'information outlets' are targeted as 'fake news' instead of actual content.

Imagine all the facts and truths that will be swept up in FB's broad net because someone, somewhere has decided that an entire source of information can never possibly offer any valuable information and never will.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Ha...Snopes? Seriously? Should be funny to watch the downfall of Facebook with this....but yay censorship for the ignorant!

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I also wonder how quickly ATS will be blocked by them. If they are doing what I think they are then it is going to shut a lot of sites down and force a liberal agenda ONLY on FB and if sites like ATS that depend on ad revenue start losing money and have to force the same...well...you see my point.

Bye bye freedom of speech! Go Libs!

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

If ATS is ever blocked, then that might put pressure on ATS operators to censor information, here, in order to suit FB...and so that they can still reach their FB audience.

I think this move by FB has some major possible implications.

...roughing out my departure post on FB, right now, in my head. I don't think I want to be a part of that kind of broad-reaching influence on censorship.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Facebook has bigger dreams for it's users. They want to create a " Walled Garden " for your internet and Slavery Pleasure.

They basically don't want you to browse the internet, they want you to browse facebook and they will choose what parts of the internet you can browse.

This has been the agenda of many, Geocities, yahoo, msn, aol, facebook, google.

Problem is, some will want it and will follow, I just don't think the kind of masses they want will fall for it, since people hate being told what to do and we have more options than we know what to do with.

Facebook will go the way of myspace because it trys to take the whole experience of the internet and thinks you'll be happy with just them, when I don't think I know many people who only use 1 site online and that's it. Facebook was a novelty in some senses and while it's done some pretty clever things, it's mostly been focusing on making money which doesn't always follow the same lines as providing quality experiences for it's users.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Funny because Snopes has sent a few of your threads to the LoL bin so no wonder you're not a fan.

How dare they actually try to fact check something! Facts and conservatives are like oil and vinegar!
edit on 16-12-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

So do you think Xeunchen should be entirely censored because of that or are you cool with him having a voice here (or at FB)?

Tell him to his face? Should he be banned from anywhere?

Is it not good enough that you get to go to Snopes and feel like they said Xeunchen is wrong about something?

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

We like facts. Why is it the liberals who appeal to emotions so often rather than facts? I really hope you don't absolutely trust Snopes.
edit on 16-12-2016 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

You see, I never mentioned any of the above. What I am doing is pointing out how ironic it is that he is against Snopes, a fact checker, who has sent his threads to the LoL forum. He posts so much propaganda on this site it's ridiculous, all to push conservatives views. Clearly he has a voice on here and fellow conservatives will star and flag anything he posts because that camp doesn't give a damn about facts and reality, only attacking liberals. That's it.

As far as Facebook goes, who cares? I don't use it and I don't know if he uses it but I doubt he will get banned there if he does use it and pushes lies there. As far as ATS goes, clearly you don't get banned for pushing lies and falsehoods.
edit on 16-12-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
George Soros Finances Group Helping Facebook Flag ‘Disputed’ Stories

The International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN)

Facebook says that if the “fact checking organizations” determine that a certain story is fake, it will get flagged as disputed and, according to the Facebook announcement, “there will be a link to the corresponding article explaining why. Stories that have been disputed may also appear lower in News Feed.”

IFCN is hosted by the Poynter Institute for Media Studies. A cursory search of the Poynter Institute website finds that Poynter’s IFCN is openly funded by Soros’ Open Society Foundations as well as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Google, and the National Endowment for Democracy.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

Judging by the amount of crap posted by conservatives on this site, no I don't at all believe they care about facts. They only care about anything that reinforces their partisan hacky views.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Every conservative I've dealt with in real life tends to be knowledgeable and deals with facts unlike the liberals(including a close friend) who only uses emotion.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I didn't think or say you did. I just wanted your honest opinion on the kind of broad censorship going on.

"As far as ATS goes, clearly you don't get banned for pushing lies and falsehoods."

That's why you're still around!

And I wouldn't have it any other way. With some due diligence. I can usually tell fact from fiction.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Funny because Snopes has sent a few of your threads to the LoL bin so no wonder you're not a fan.

How dare they actually try to fact check something! Facts and conservatives are like oil and vinegar!

The Education and Media has triggered your deep demons.

Frustrating isn't it.

posted on Dec, 16 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Censorship? Do you support fake news? Either way, FB is a private company who is allowed to censor anything they want. Don't like it? Don't use it.

I'm here because I enjoy this site and I stay to keep it from becoming a conservative echo chamber. And aliens, although there's little to no discussion about them anymore because of conservative spam.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join