It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking Nerd News : Star Trek: Discovery Casts Walking Dead Actress As Star

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Now for today's breaking nerd news, Sasha from the walking dead will be the main character in the new Star Trek series (that I have to watch on the internet because these asses will not put it on regular TV).

I hope this series is more like DS9 than Voyager. Captain Sisko was my favorite of the "newer generation" captains of the series after TOS.

www.ew.com...

Huge news, Star Trek fans: The first new Trek series in a decade has found its star.

Sonequa Martin-Green, well known to genre fans for her role on AMC’s mega-hit The Walking Dead, has been cast as the lead of Star Trek: Discovery, sources tell EW.

The casting ends meticulous search to find the ideal actress to anchor the eagerly anticipated new CBS All Access drama. Martin-Green will play a lieutenant commander on the Discovery. (CBS Television Studios had no comment.)

Martin-Green is will continue to serve as a series regular on AMC’s zombie drama, where she has played the tough pragmatic survivor Sasha Williams since season 3.

Another evolution from Trek tradition: Unlike the previous series in the franchise, the main protagonist of Discovery won’t be a captain (at least, not initially). Fuller described Martin-Green’s character as a “lieutenant commander with caveats.”

“We’ve seen six series from the captain’s point of view,” he explained. “To see a character from a [new] perspective on the starship — one who has different dynamic relationships with a captain, with subordinates, it gave us richer context.”

The casting of Martin-Green fills the most crucial role in the series, which CBS will premiere in May on its All Access streaming service. Discovery has made a flurry of other castings in recent few weeks too. Michelle Yeoh will play Captain Georgiou, the Starfleet Captain aboard the Starship Shenzhou; Doug Jones (Hellboy, Falling Skies) will play Lt. Saru, a Starfleet Science Officer and a new alien species in the Star Trek universe; and Rapp (Rent, Road Trip) was cast as Lt. Stamets, an “astromycologist,” fungus expert, and Starfleet Science Officer aboard the Starship Discovery.

The show also cast three actors as Klingons: Chris Obi (Roots) as T’Kuvma, a leader seeking to unite the Klingon houses; Shazad Latif (Penny Dreadful), who will play Kol, a Klingon Commanding Officer, and protege of T’Kuvma; and the newcomer Mary Chieffo as L’Rell, the Battle Deck Commander of a Klingon ship.

edit on 15-12-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

So then at some point in the near future...RIP Sasha.(?)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumStickNinja

So then at some point in the near future...RIP Sasha.(?)

Only if she wears a red shirt in the series...

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

It says in the OP "she is will continue to serve as a regular on AMC"

Weird wording, but I take it she will be.doing both shows.

Good for her!

~meathead

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

No idea about the actress but have to agree about ds9.

They were all good but ds9 had elements that none of the other managed to achieve.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Who?

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
TNG will never be repeated. Jean Luc will be my forever hero. I would be excited-except for Michelle Yeoh-yuk-terrible actress.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Star Trek used to be fun, but then I found out it wasn't about nonviolence and prevention and everything just more senseless violence and genral misbehaviour. It's like some GI was sick of civilians and decided to "share" his ideas about spacetravel and the future. Well anyway he was evil inventing Star Trek, it got big and here we are. So henceforth civilians, consider Star Trek dead as can be, it's an army thing, moving on to find some police guy his story that got big, then we can all move on back to society and out of the warzone.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
DS9 was great but the Tailor Garik was the cream of the crop. You never quite knew what side he was on. He had a character depth that left you listening to ever word. Nothing was as advertised so they didn't telegraph his next steps like in other series.

top topics

join