It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corpus Christi, Texas, Tells Residents Not to Use Tap Water (other cities affected)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   

The city of Corpus Christi, Texas, is warning its residents not to use tap water as officials investigate an unknown chemical.

The Caller-Times reported early Thursday that a city news release blames a recent back-flow incident in the industrial district. Officials are telling residents to use only bottled water until the safety of the tap water can be confirmed.

LINK

Update:

South Texas Water Authorities informed us that the affected cities so far include; Corpus Christi, Banquete, Agua Dulce, Bishop, Kingsville, Calallen, and Driscoll.

Cities that are NOT affected by the contamination: Sinton, Ingleside, Gregory, St Paul, San Patricio, Taft, Lakeside, Mathis, Odem, Lake City, Port Aransas, and Portland.

LINK

This has to be very serious, and it definitely could cause a panic. It's a reminder of how delicate everything is in society. We never can be certain of what could be in the water the next time we take a shower.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what the problem could be? Does it really make sense that a warning like this would be put out over an "unknown chemical"? What's the logic in that? "We don't know what it is, but we know it's harmful." I don't believe that myself.

This looks like a cover-up and a very bad one at that. Should people in surrounding areas be concerned? I would be.
edit on 15-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
Does it really make sense that a warning like this would be put out over an "unknown chemical"?

Absolutely it does.

What's the logic in that?

Because there's an unknown industrial chemical in the water supply, and they have yet to determine what it is and in what concentrations it's present.

"We don't know what it is, but we know it's harmful." I don't believe that myself.

Feel free to drink it then. While you're at it, just start sipping on random other chemicals as well. After all, by your logic, you don't know what they are, so they must be safe.

This looks like a cover-up and a very bad one at that.

Are you high? How is them coming out and telling everyone about the problem a cover-up? A cover-up would have been if they buried this, not announced it to the world. What they've done is the opposite of a cover-up.
edit on 12/15/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

What's the logic in that?

Because there's an unknown industrial chemical in the water supply, and they have yet to determine what it is and in what concentrations it's present.

I don't think people should use the tap water in Corpus Christi, Texas either. I wrote that this looks like a cover-up. The point that I'm making is that the authorities almost certainly know what the chemical is. Feel free to disagree with me.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This article is from May of this year:

For the third time in 10 months, business owners and residents suffered through yet another boil notice after disinfectant levels in the drinking water fell below the state standard. This time the boil notice lasted 12 days. It was the longest stretch of time, under a boil notice, in recent memory. State officials agreed to lift the boil order on Wednesday after city water passed standards set by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

The water system is failing and it's something city leaders have known about for years. Yet little has been done to solve the problem.

Link.

The article continues:

The source of Corpus Christi’s water problem is complex, but there's one common factor: failing infrastructure.

Clogged, cracked, collapsed and stagnant water pipes are all over Corpus Christi. The city has 1,700 miles of pipes to maintain. Half of those are past their useful life. Many are made out of rigid, asbestos cement pipe. When you put that kind of pipe in the city's shifting clay soil conditions - you have a recipe for disaster.

Just like so many other places in America. Shocking when you consider so much of this was preventable.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
We had a similar issue here.

An oil refinery contaminated the river and we actually had to pipe water from a different river to maintain reservoir levels.

It was touch & go for a bit.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Bad infrastructure problems that get little attention and just a band-aid approach to fix it. Our government's priorities are all screwed up. It's time to protest like the Native Americans did over the pipeline deal. When the government's spending is hog wild out of control on things that only serve the corporate interests or for wars on foreign soil that we have no real need for, it's time to bring that money home and fix our broken infrastructure and other major problems. We all need to stop paying taxes if they are misusing the funds so badly. Why pay for things we can't use while our very lifeblood of fresh potable water is threatened?

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Corpus is a coastal town. Anyone who lives on a beach and drinks the tap water is playing roulette with their health, and ought to know better. Texas, Cali, Florida, Miss, Washington...whatever. Don't drink tap water in coastal areas. Basic common sense. And really, why would anyone want to drink that mess in the first place? It always smells like hot ass and death...what moron would consume that??

This is not new. This is not going to cause a panic. This is something that has been an issue for years and years. They issue warnings because it's the responsible thing to do when the water tests are showing possible contaminants. If they wanted to "cover it up", they would have simply not said anything about it. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together will get a water filter at HEB or Target for the kitchen tap. They cost about $20 and hook right on to the faucet, have spare cartridges and a sensor light to tell you it's time to change it. Problem solved, no boiling is even necessary.

I enjoy many of your posts, but this one reads as hyperbole and fear mongering. I promise, we're OK in Texas. No one is panicking or dying or being poisoned. The city always advises of any possible dangers while they identify the culprit and take measures against it. They're doing their job and informing the public...they're certainly not hiding anything from the community. If anyone gets sick, it's because they disregard the very public advisories and drink it anyway. I'd be the first one shouting it from the rooftops if they were up to some nefarious whatnot, trust me.😉

JSR

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
Corpus is a coastal town. Anyone who lives on a beach and drinks the tap water is playing roulette with their health, and ought to know better.....

very true. i live in a coastal town. and a stones throw from one of the largest ship channels in the world. refineries for miles. this statement is very true. and yes, when the wind shifts, that ship channel air blows by your house, smells like death.

I remember as a kid in high school we took a field trip to the local water treatment plant. yes, the smell was bad. just the sight of floating condoms, tampons, and turds turned me off from drinking tap water. i know it isn't the same but still.

there are frequently letters sent out for the levels of toxins in the water. fecal bacteria is always high. go figure.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

More often than not the warnings are a precaution (although as those in Michigan would say... sometimes the precaution is warranted).

Although where my wife, son and I live is considered by most to be "some of the best water in the nation," we are Bottled-Water-People when it comes to drinking. We do cook with the tap water but that gets boiled anyway.

My point in saying that is from time to time I hear comments (in the real world and in places like ATS) that ridicule people for (in a smug, whiney voice) Spending money on things that are basically free.

It's because you never know. With things like drinking water.... everything is ALWAYS fine... until the minute that its not and God help you if you are one of the first people to become ill. Better safe than sorry.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Since I live here.I would just like to say as of yesterday at noon the water ban was lifted. The water ban was just a precaution and only a certain section of the city ended up being in water ban after the first day. It only took a few days longer because they had to drain some water towers. I would like to point out the problem was first noticed back on dec 4 but was not made public till dec 15. I have heard a few stores in town are going to seek legal action due to having to close there stores. This is not the first time we have had water issues. About 5 times in the last 2 years we have had bans or restricted use because of foul ups. City works officials been fired and even the mayor just lost past election due to this issue lol.

posted on Dec, 19 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Again??? Is what I said when I heard its happening again. My brother still lives there. His remark was... We havnt been calling it Flint for nothing! From what he remarked the people need to fire the goons in charge. Until that happens you might not want to trust the lifted ban.
edit on 19-12-2016 by TerryHasticles because: (no reason given)

top topics

join