It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Post: The electoral college should think hard before handing Trump the presidency

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Memo to the electoral college that votes next Monday: Our tradition — for good reason — tells you that your job is to ratify the state-by-state outcome of the election. The question is whether Trump, Vladimir Putin and, perhaps, Clinton’s popular-vote advantage give you sufficient reason to blow up the system.

I don’t raise this lightly. The costs of breaking with 188 years of tradition would be very high. Alexander Hamilton’s Federalist 68 explaining the electoral college is widely cited by those who want electors to stage an anti-Trump revolt. But we shouldn’t pretend that the electoral college as described by Hamilton bears any resemblance to the system we have used since the 1828 election, when statewide election of its members became almost universal.

The electoral college should think hard before handing Trump the presidency

There has been talk on this forum of a possible Electoral College revolt being seditious. If that's the case, we've got none other than The Washington Post engaged in sedition. Can anyone remember anything like this happening before?

There is a split on this forum between those who believe that members of the Electoral College should be bound by state laws concerning their voting and those believe they should not. That's a critical issue that I believe can only be answered by the Supreme Court. I believe the Supreme Court already decided that issue in its Ray v. Blair (1952) decision.

"However, even if such promises of candidates for the electoral college are legally unenforceable because violative of an assumed constitutional freedom of the elector under the Constitution, Art. II, § 1, to vote as he may choose in the electoral college, it would not follow that the requirement of a pledge in the primary is unconstitutional."
SOURCE

I also believe that coercing members of the Electoral College to vote a certain way is a violation of U.S. federal law (42 USC 1971). The relevant part of this law says:

No person, whether acting under color of law or otherwise, shall intimidate, threaten, coerce, or attempt to intimidate, threaten, or coerce any other person for the purpose of interfering with the right of such other person to vote or to vote as he may choose, or of causing such other person to vote for, or not to vote for, any candidate for the office of President, Vice President, presidential elector, Member of the Senate, or Member of the House of Representatives, Delegates or Commissioners from the Territories or possessions, at any general, special, or primary election held solely or in part for the purpose of selecting or electing any such candidate.

edit on 15-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I don't think this piece is particularly important. It's an opinion piece and everyone has a right to their opinion, though this talk isn't uniting at all. It has the opposite effect causing even more division in this nation as if there weren't enough. I'm on the fence as to whether the electoral college should be bound to their state's popular vote.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

I think the article is very important because it eloquently explains the rationale for why some believe an Electoral College mutiny is justified. I would imagine that every single member of the Electoral College has people trying to persuade them to change their vote. Distributing articles like this is one way to try and persuade people.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Eleven Years On: How ‘The Washington Post’ Helped Give Us the Iraq War
In the months before the war, The Washington Post ran more than 140 stories on its front page promoting the war.

“We are inevitably the mouthpiece for whatever administration is in power.“ —WaPo Reporter Karen DeYoung.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:43 AM
link   
These "media" outlets should lose their journalism credentialing and be relegated to the back of the bus.

Put them with internet bloggers, because that's what they've become. Partisan opinion hackery. They certainly have no credibility.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Washington Post is The Onion on steroids, I look to them for inspiration on how-to-propaganda

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
These "media" outlets should lose their journalism credentialing and be relegated to the back of the bus.

Put them with internet bloggers, because that's what they've become. Partisan opinion hackery. They certainly have no credibility.

Pretty much. It's an opine piece from a partisan opinion writer who also writes for MSM news(see his bio under the article). Somehow it will be regarded as legit news due to just that.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Why, yes...

Let us just ignore the results of the election and choose whomever the hell we feel like.

Hail, Caesar.

With the electoral college playing the roll of the Praetorian Guard. Sweet!!

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Good old Nancy Pee-low-see's daughter is a delegate and she wrote a letter to other democratic delegates asking them to sign on to her idea of flipping the delegates votes.. She has convinced 40 delegates at the last report.... all democrats except for one republican.. youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Then why should we vote at all, if the electors can just vote for whomever?

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Last time the EC voted against, it was Madison and he only lost 6.

These guys need 37.

Ain't gonna happen.

The Left is dying. Someone needs to spark up them paddles. CLEAR!

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Well our own investigations seemed to predict this state of affairs. However we still do not know what their real agenda is .Its smelling to high heaven, like the man said keep your powder dry.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Good old Nancy Pee-low-see's daughter is a delegate and she wrote a letter to other democratic delegates asking them to sign on to her idea of flipping the delegates votes.. She has convinced 40 delegates at the last report.... all democrats except for one republican.. youtu.be...

At the moment, this is just a case of Democrats circle jerking. Of the 40 electors requesting a hearing with the CIA to be briefed (and laughably requiring proof from Trump that he is not a Russian spy), only 1 is a Republican. If they manage to get 40 Republican electors to join their coup then there is a bigger problem.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: BadBoYeed

Then why should we vote at all, if the electors can just vote for whomever?

It's not quite that simple... it's almost impossible for the electors to put an alternative in power (especially an alternative party), but what they can do is enough to throw the decision to the House. So even though they can vote differently, it does not diminish the importance of the general election.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
The Washington post is dead. It is and has always been a communist rag.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Just think these are the same people who told us it was a threat to democracy for Trump to even consider questioning the election results. These people are the biggest liars and the biggest Hypocrites in the country.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I assume after this Democrats will just install a dictator? It seems that they win even when they lose because they control all the institutions. Civil War is on the horizon.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Wow, I thought this took place already. I guess we find out on Monday if he will become the president. There will probably be riots if he does not.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
I assume after this Democrats will just install a dictator? It seems that they win even when they lose because they control all the institutions. Civil War is on the horizon.

It's my understanding that the House decide if the EC goes off piste (unless the completely unthinkable happened and Republican Electors not only refused to vote for Trump but switched to Clinton).

The Republicans have lead of over 40 seats in the House.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

...We could also see Democrats flip and vote for Trump

it works both ways

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join