It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama-Color Of his skin‘absolutely’ Contributed to white Americans negative perceptions of him

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers
Wrong, Gates acted stupidly, and that is from CNN.

Crowley wrote in the Cambridge police report that Gates refused to step outside to speak with him, the police report said, and when Crowley told Gates that he was investigating a possible break-in, Gates opened the front door and exclaimed, "Why, because I'm a black man in America?" the report said. Video Was the professor profiled? »

The report said Gates initially refused to show the officer identification, but eventually produced a Harvard identification card, prompting Crowley to radio for Harvard University Police.

"While I was led to believe that Gates was lawfully in the residence, I was quite surprised and confused with the behavior he exhibited toward me," Crowley said, according to the report.

Gates was arrested for "loud and tumultuous behavior in a public space" and was released from police custody after spending four hours at the police station.

He said Wednesday that he and his lawyers were considering further actions, not excluding a lawsuit.
advertisement

Gates said that although the ordeal had upset him, "I would do the same thing exactly again."

Earlier this week, a prosecutor dropped the charge against Gates and the city's police department recommended that the matter not be pursued.

www.cnn.com...:US

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Strange. I missed the part where it said he acted stupidly.

You know, I once had a cop knock on my door and tell me to move the trailer in front of my house because it was illegally parked. I told him to get bent.

It wasn't my trailer.

I let him stew for a bit first because he shouldn't have been such a presumptuous ass.

edit on 14-12-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

I understand you may not see that when the Pres. talk people listen. He needed to measure his words, and tread very carefully. He doesn't.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Did you read the post with the CNN story?

According to the story, who acted stupidly?

(post by Snarl removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Did you read the post with the CNN story?

According to the story, who acted stupidly?

Impossible to tell, truthfully. The article includes evidence in the form of a police report and testimony by the officer who made the report. In other words, that's the officer's side of the story.

CNN offers no editorial comment regarding who acted stupidly.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

Strange. I missed the part where it said he acted stupidly.

You know, I once had a cop knock on my door and tell me to move the trailer in front of my house because it was illegally parked. I told him to get bent.

It wasn't my trailer.

I let him stew for a bit first because he shouldn't have been such a presumptuous ass.

So in one post you essentially requested that someone provide a definition of "race card." Now you are indicating that an article that didn't specifically say that "Gates acted stupidly" means that he didn't, in fact, act stupidly.

While I do believe your intentions are good, if you need to have the very basics of language and verbal/written intent spelled out for you... perhaps that is something for you to look into prior to engaging in threads.... Of course this is ATS and not necessarily a bastion of civility and enlightened thought.

I will match your anecdote with one of my own.... just for fun.

About 8 years ago when we were living in a different town than we now reside... after work one day, while driving down my street towards my apartment I saw someone laying face down towards the back of the driveway of a neighbor's house. I'm not sure why it caught my attention but I slowed down my car and saw this young (maybe late teen or early twenties) man trying to force open a basement window.

I never really call 911 and I didn't that day. I called the local precinct and used the same opening line that I had used many times in the past. "This may be nothing, but you MAY want to check this out," and proceeded to explain what I saw. I went about my business and forgot about it.

A few days later, while walking my dogs (both of whom are now in heaven after living to ripe old ages) I ran into my neighbors that owned the house. I had mentioned what had happened and what I saw and that I had called the police.

It turned out that the guy "breaking into" the basement window was a nephew that was visiting from Mexico who had inadvertently locked himself out of the house. As he said that I started to cringe because I was expecting a "bad" reaction. Much to my surprise (and delight) my neighbor thanked me to making the call. It turned out that the police had come to the house a few minutes later, spoke with the guy, called it into the station... the station reached out to the home owners.... and the cops stayed with the young man outside the house for about 25 minutes until my neighbor came home and verified everything.

Again, my neighbor ended up thanking me because he was so glad that somebody that saw a "stranger" trying to pry open a window actually took the time to call the police.... because if it wasn't his nephew then things would have been very different.

So.... did I act stupidly? Did the cops that showed up act stupidly?

link   

Well it's all we have to go with. Reading the story, and recognizing that there was no lawsuit filed, what do you think.

Or don't you want to risk a opinion?

link   
a reply to: seasonal

I agree that Obama skin color when he won the election may have contributed to some bad feelings from other sectors of the population

But that was maybe in the very begin of his presidency, after the first term people got used to him and didn't care anymore what color was him, but what he wasn't able to accomplish.

Plus a lot of people felt that he was creating divisions and racial tensions.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Well it's all we have to go with. Reading the story, and recognizing that there was no lawsuit filed, what do you think.

Or don't you want to risk a opinion?

My opinion will simply reveal my biases. Like I said, I have police in my family, and I've been around lots of them in my life. I've never been in trouble for anything personally, just to be clear, but I find that as a general rule, far too many cops walk around with their pair "swinging free," to borrow your testicular banter from earlier in the thread.

And when you say that's all we have to go on, are you saying none of the reports included more from the home-owner's perspective?

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Should Pallin and Bush cry? I'm sure the media would love to report that they were cry babies.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

My dad and grand dad were cops. And at least you can admit that you are not objective.

Regardless, O should have kept it shut. As president he knows exactly what he did when he cried police acted stupidly. Not smart. Not cool. And not leadership.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

My dad and grand dad were cops. And at least you can admit that you are not objective.

Regardless, O should have kept it shut. As president he knows exactly what he did when he cried police acted stupidly. Not smart. Not cool. And not leadership.

Even Obama said he regretted his comments and hoped it could become a teachable moment.

In my opinion, the cop should have walked away. The home-owner was arrested for yelling at the cop, basically, since he had already proven he owned the home.

He basically made some sort of "Yo Momma" joke directed at the cop in a moment of anger, and got arrested for it. Seems to me there's plenty of stupid to go around there.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

What I find funny is the president wanted to make it a teachable moment.

With the comment that this thread is based on, he is still just as likely to make very serious comments that are divisive and are meant to divide.
Maybe we should just have an open forum for him to give us teachable moments, hay let's assign a time for everyone to have him go over any foot in mouth incidents.

Maybe Fridays at 8PM?

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   

What I find funny is the president wanted to make it a teachable moment.

With the comment that this thread is based on, he is still just as likely to make very serious comments that are divisive and are meant to divide.
Maybe we should just have an open forum for him to give us teachable moments, hay let's assign a time for everyone to have him go over any foot in mouth incidents.

Maybe Fridays at 8PM?

Meh. I don't see these things as the big deal you do.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I can't wait till he's gone.

What a POS. White Americans voted for you TWICE asshole.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I have no doubt that our country's eroding but still imbedded - if increasingly marginalized - institutional and historical racism played some role in some people's perception of him. I think that probably goes without saying. Racists exist. They're going to care about people's race, ipso facto.

But I can only speak for myself, as a non-racist person. My distrust of presidents is usually...

... because they're presidents. None of them in my life time have entered and left office without doing something I have great qualms with. Sadly, Obama was not an exception. I expect Trump will not be either. (Though as always, I'm hoping for the best. Though his cabinet appointment do not give me cause for great optimism so far to say the least.)

Obama further undermined habeas corpus, instituted a policy of drone strikes, oversaw policy that saved the economy from a possible new depression but did so via a massive transfer of wealth from the middle and lower classes to the nosebleed section of the upper class, prosecuted whistleblowers, among other things.

I loved the fact that we finally - far too late if you ask me - had an African American president. But I wasn't a supporter, for all of the above reasons. (Nor was I a supporter of Trump's, or Clinton's, for the record.)

Peace.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
a reply to: seasonal

Meh. IMVHO he and his 'partner' are a racists. As soon as he moves out of the 'white' house, Michael's gonna lose her pride in Amurca. She offended me ... and I believe that was her intent. I owe neither of them anything except ridicule.

She owes a bunch of kids for their crappy school lunches they had to suffer. 0bamacare is gonna soon follow suit ... and I don't even have a dog in that fight.

What is this? We are not on BIN or GLP. What kind of a person would post this???
edit on 15-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

The First Lady insinuated to be someone in makeup from a Planet of the Apes movie? You should be ashamed.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   

a reply to: Snarl

Should Pallin and Bush cry? I'm sure the media would love to report that they were cry babies.

And what is this? I have no idea what is wrong with people.

People STARRED this original and the one above of Michelle Obama. I question the mental fitness of both groups of people who starred them.
The people that posted the originals....worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join