It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama-Color Of his skin‘absolutely’ Contributed to white Americans negative perceptions of him

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Greggers

He is the Pres. suck it up, got a set? Than act like it.

What?

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I'm white and had no problem with the color of his skin when I voted for him in 08. I had no problem with the color of his skin when I did NOT vote for him in 12.

So, according to this theory, I became prejudiced during his term. Maybe I just saw his incompetence and broken promises. Sometimes the answers are just really simple.

edit on 14-12-2016 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

That's a very liberating notion ... and , I'll respectfully agree with you . After all ... I'm Irish American and I love the people on St.Paddy's day , when everybody's Irish . It suits them... there is something to be gained , they suppose .

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

He's not talking about all whites, he's talking about the "Birther" whites. And yes, the "Birther Movement" is based in racism.

link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

For now. Final judgement is usually rendered after about 5-10 years after leaving office.

Then let's have this chat again in 10 years.

link   
So does being white and male to many. Voting for someone because they are black or female running against someone who is white or male, is the same damn thing as not voting for someone because they are black or female.

If it's not about policy but about skin color or sex, you're being racist or sexist.

How many votes did Obama get simply to be the first black president?

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I'm White, and I thought Obama actually did try to uphold his campaign promises and at least he tried to get healthcare for people. He initiated change, but I think we should go to socialized health care. I don't think he had the guts to challenge the top and richest of the medical industry though.

The reason some things went bad is because the Republicans were so against anything he tried. They all should have worked together better, our country is way too polarized and also the big money is keeping us from accomplishing things that should be done. He is under the influence of some powerful people, a puppet like many before him. That has nothing to do with color at all.

link   
a reply to: reldra

List his sterling successes.

link   
a reply to: windword

The Doctor of Common Sense is living proof to the contrary:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

If I have to explain it you won't get it.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

Ahhh. How soon this idiot forgets the demographics of 2 terms.
He will go down in the annals of history as a box of rocks. Without the rocks....
Not necessarily because of his policies ( the major reason) but due to the pure divisiveness he brought to office. As this statement shows.

Historians have him ranked as a solid middle of the road President. He likely will not drift far from that in one direction or another, unless something he's instigated goes incredibly south, or incredibly north, at some point in the future -- and likely not even then, unless causation has a clear like directly back to him.

For now. Final judgement is usually rendered after about 5-10 years after leaving office
And he was "elected" the single worst President in modern times , overtaking Jimmy Carter for that dubious honor.
Hands down, Obama is the worst president since WWII: poll

I want to tell you that survey the article is based on, sucks.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

How many votes did Obama get simply to be the first black president?

Not that many, statistically speaking.

Blacks historically vote D. They had record turnout, undoubtedly motivated by the opportunity to make history and get one of their own into the Whitehouse for the first time ever.

I hardly think you can compare that ethically to whoever might have voted against Obama simply because he was black. I'm not saying that was statistically significant either, just to be clear.

You can refer to either as racism if you like.
edit on 14-12-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

He will go down in the annals of history as a box of rocks. Without the rocks....
Not necessarily because of his policies ( the major reason) but due to the pure divisiveness he brought to office. As this statement shows.

Historians have him ranked as a solid middle of the road President. He likely will not drift far from that in one direction or another, unless something he's instigated goes incredibly south, or incredibly north, at some point in the future -- and likely not even then, unless causation has a clear like directly back to him.

Time will tell but I suspect that years from now Obama will be remembered for one thing and one thing only.... Being the first African American President.

Obamacare (ACA) isn't going anywhere and won't be remembered beyond a footnote.

The claims of some that he somehow saved us from another Great Depression are laughable because in ALL THESE YEARS the economy has been limping along. Yes, stocks have improved. The "unemployment" numbers have gone down (but I put unemployment in quotations because that number was always such BS even prior to Obama becoming president). Fact of the matter is the jobs that have been created over the past few years have by and large been positions that are low paying, part time and NOT the types of jobs that were lost just prior to him being elected. As far as saving us from another Great Depression.... all anyone has to do is look at the utter failure that the White House touted as "Recovery Summer" back in 2010. That was supposed to be the start of a re-birth of prosperity.... which never happened.

Bin Laden got got under the Obama administration. I'll give him that. Unfortunately the pulling out of Iraq and paving the way for ISIS will ultimately negate any chance of him being considered a strong opponent of what the history books will have no choice but to call Radical Islamic Terrorism.

Years from now nobody is going to think about the "everyone gets to use every type of bathroom" and nobody is going to think about where the Confederate flag used to be displayed.

The farther away we get from the current administration I think the more we will see that really nothing happened. Nothing changed during his tenure. That is, nothing that will be worth talking about in a few decades.

In a hundred years a group of friends will be playing Trivial Pursuit and there will be a question that asks, "Who was the first African American President of the United States?"...... That will be his legacy as far as I can tell.

Then again.... I've been wrong before.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: seasonal

1) His presidency is NOT a failure.

2) It is a cultural problem that still exists.

3) His name is Barack Hussein Obama and he IS the President.

4) Trump=Bob Rumsen.

First half black President taking credit for the first. The first will have a black mother and black father.

link   

originally posted by: seasonal

If I have to explain it you won't get it.

Maybe just clean up the comma splice, the run-on sentence, and the bizarre spelling. That would be a start.

Then tack on some additional exposition, and you'd have a cogent thought.

link   

You mean "Historians" like Correct The Record?

edit on V512016Wednesdaypm31America/ChicagoWed, 14 Dec 2016 21:51:30 -06001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Just like Hillary, he has categorized half the population into a negatively perceived basket.

link   

I knew plenty of white people that voted for him for that reason.

PS: Oh and so you all know, as I've stated many times I voted for Obama his first term. I didn't his second.
edit on 12/14/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I'm White, and I thought Obama actually did try to uphold his campaign promises and at least he tried to get healthcare for people. He initiated change, but I think we should go to socialized health care. I don't think he had the guts to challenge the top and richest of the medical industry though.

The reason some things went bad is because the Republicans were so against anything he tried. They all should have worked together better, our country is way too polarized and also the big money is keeping us from accomplishing things that should be done. He is under the influence of some powerful people, a puppet like many before him. That has nothing to do with color at all.

Of course. Obama should have been more aggressive. He did what he could. Maybe he was more aggressive and we don't see behind the closed doors/

He is a great President. But say here, that he was even good and you will get blowback.

EVEN WITH the obvious republican obstructionism. Republicans wasted so much money and time fighting against anything Obama wanted to do, that they did almost NOTHING else. It was a horrendous, serious, breach of government resources. THAT is what should be an investigation.

Treason, high crimes and misdemeanors...the right likes to say that...well I see it.

There are a LOT of Republicans guilty of it and it led us to Trump. Even the Republicans are realizing, with buyer's remorse, what they bought.

They have no way to return it now.

edit on 14-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

In a hundred years a group of friends will be playing Trivial Pursuit and there will be a question that asks, "Who was the first African American President of the United States?"...... That will be his legacy as far as I can tell.

Then again.... I've been wrong before.

That's certainly possible.

And if that's the case, I think it's safe to say he will STILL BE viewed as a "middle of the pack" President, from a historical perspective, 100 years from now.

If his legacy greatly improves, or greatly falters, he'll be known for something besides being black.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join