It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltinglass Hill Ireland megalithic centre

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I found this article a few weeks ago which I found very interesting as this place is located about 30 mins where I live in the Republic of Ireland,
Link is pasted below

Baltinglass Hill: Ireland’s Forgotten Gobekli Tepi?

www.ancient-origins.net...

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmccracken

Be careful on the click... I got one of those popup ads that didn't want to let go of my browser.

A copy of the article is here: mysticalfiles.com...

The article has much to criticize, I'm afraid. The two sites aren't really similar nor are they on a similar scale. The archaeologist cited has indeed made claims about the earliest inhabitants of Ireland - but as you see it dates to around 3000 BC (roughly the same time as the founding of the Egyptian empire and about 5,000 years later than Gobekli Tepe. The DNA does not suggest that the Irish people are closely related to the Turks; at least, no more closely than I am.

However, it's an interesting looking place, and I do love megaliths. The whole area around Baltinglass has a number of old structures, including an ancient barrow grave. And it's called Ireland's Hillfort Center.

(Hill Forts are, as the article indicates, a controversial tag. They look like fortresses but there's no water inside and they're pretty indefensible. It's been suggested that these are ceremonial places instead and were only occasionally used as a refuge when there was a small-scale cattle raid or some such going on.)

new topics

join