It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahead Of Trump Meeting, IBM Says It Will Hire 25,000 In U.S

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

You're right, people just need to google IBM job cuts to find out what's really going on here.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: xuenchen

Those numbers don't add up. Who are they hiring? $1 billion over 4 years is $250 million/year. $250 million only buys you about 1250 engineers but they're claiming 6250 people per year.

Sounds to me like a lot of very low paying positions. In fact, 25,000 people into 1 billion is only $40,000 per person. Not even an actual middle class wage.

Maybe they are planning on making parts here in America. That is a great wage for making parts. $40k a year is not bad money.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

edit on 12/13/16 by Gothmog because: outta here

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

You must've loved the 9.3 million jobs Obama created then, right?

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

It depends, maybe my views on money are skewed from only having lived in very high and very low COL areas, or maybe a bunch of people in life settle for crumbs because they don't understand how bad they're getting screwed. $40k in even most rural areas is bad, that's not a wage you can ever retire on unless you live like a pauper, especially if you want a family.

Anyways, I realized I did the math wrong. I assumed the jobs were disappearing each year. In order to ramp up to 25,000 it actually means they're paying 6250, 12500, 18750, then 25000 people. Not 6250 every year. That reduces the average wage to a mere 16,000.

From the sounds of things, these aren't good paying jobs IBM is adding, they're practically minimum wage.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingMonkeyInSpace

You're right, people just need to google IBM job cuts to find out what's really going on here.

And then they can google what's going on at intel.

www.investopedia.com...

It will take Trump his full term to even make a dent in rebuilding the infrastructure. Trumps hot air just might be enough to break the high tech bubble.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   

does this mean trump is going to increase the h1 visa to replace American workers on American soil?

would like to read some more info on this especially coming from IBM, which makes me highly skeptical.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

does this mean trump is going to increase the h1 visa to replace American workers on American soil?

would like to read some more info on this especially coming from IBM, which makes me highly skeptical.

No, he has stated he is going to do the opposite and curtail the number of h1 visas.

I believe one of the main reasons all these tech titans are meeting with him tomorrow is an attempt to get him to change this position. I don't think they will be very successful however.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   

While that's somewhat true, populations are also a factor. India has more 4.0 students than we have total students. So, it's only natural they're going to be highly represented.

Perhaps, but Trump and the Republicans are going to reign in the H1B visa program. Companies will have to hire American workers first if they apply. The H1B visa program has got out of control. It was meant to provide companies with a last option to get qualified workers if they could not find Americans that were qualified. However, companies have been hiring foreign workers through the program because they work cheaper, don't know the regulations/laws that protect workers, etc.

There are many stories of companies forcing American workers to train foreign replacements or they will not qualify for severance pay or other separation benefits. It has been a sad development for American workers. I have a bachelors in computer science and although I worked in IT for about 10 years, I left for another career. At the time, we were paid well and had headhunters trying to hire us to leave and work for other companies. I saw entire tech support departments off-shored to other countries like the Philippines and India. Most people that have called tech support in the last 15 years can attest to people that were hard to understand and leave something to be desired in their ability to understand English. Now these are not H1B workers, but it was the start of companies like AT&T, Disney, and others begin to replace other Americans with H1B workers in their companies.

Trump may have some issues, but there are a large amount of workers that need jobs. Even highly skilled workers that can't get a job due to the H1B program and also Obamacare that cost too much for companies to have full-time workers and started limiting hours to 30 hours which is the cut off point to mandate an employer to provide insurance.

There are lots of policies by the left globalists like Obama and Clinton that marginalized American workers which had many more bad effects on families like the ability to maintain their mortgages, etc. There has been policies that gave tax breaks to employers that sent jobs overseas. I could go on, but you see the point. The policies that brought in large numbers of immigrants that take jobs is also a problem. I saw a story recently on MSM that the administration was making a local sheriff hire immigrants for police. This kind of stuff has finally reached critical mass and the voters said no more. My apologies for running off on a rant here. It started out on topic, but I couldn't help it.

edit on 13/12/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

Those numbers don't add up. Who are they hiring? $1 billion over 4 years is $250 million/year. $250 million only buys you about 1250 engineers but they're claiming 6250 people per year.

Sounds to me like a lot of very low paying positions. In fact, 25,000 people into 1 billion is only $40,000 per person. Not even an actual middle class wage.

Maybe they are planning on making parts here in America. That is a great wage for making parts. $40k a year is not bad money.

40k here in California is the equivalent to 10K/yr almost everywhere else. a gallon of milk is 6$ USD in some places.

but i wish they wouldnt inflate their numbers just for rhetoric's sake. have a sound plan and outline it. it will still be better than what we have now minus all the special effects.

go Trump.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
So she get government advisory job and then make big news that helps the president that put you on the board?

I wonder how long she has been sitting on this business deal just so Trump can take the credit.

Hey guys this is want real pay to play looks like.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Udntknowjack

That is really unimpressive when you consider the us population went up by 20 million mainly from migration during that same timeframe, and those jobs were predominantly low paying.

Look I know you love all of obamas fake economic stats, but do some research they are designed to obfuscate reality.

The fact he has the nerve to claim the economy is in good shape due to his administration is criminal. In reality we are in the worst economic shape since the Great Depression.

Trump has a gigantic hole to dig us out of. The only reason he has a chance to succeed is most of the other world powers are in just as bad a shape economically.
edit on 13-12-2016 by proximo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

i know he stated he wanted to tighten the h1 abuse. im just not buying him doing it.

I would be pleasantly happy to be wrong but will see.

also reading the artcle certain premise kept sticking out to me about driving the cost down of IT position in America by flooding the market by lowering the education requirements in computer science related fields

like i said im highly skeptical when ibm is involved.

edit on 221231America/ChicagoTue, 13 Dec 2016 23:22:15 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

40k here in California is the equivalent to 10K/yr almost everywhere else. a gallon of milk is 6$ USD in some places.

go Trump.

Another policy that is going to send that upwards in all of California most likely is the new methane regulations. California's governor just signed a law to force farmers to install vary expensive 'methane capture technology '(digesters) and they will send the gas to use in power generation.

I read that many ranchers and dairy operations are moving out of the state and into other western states. So California will soon be importing much of their dairy products and local producers will just add the cost into the product. Didn't California do something with power generating stations that they ended up having to buy a lot of power from out of state that ended up spiking electric bills for many?

Trump is going to roll back regulations federally, but that won't help state regulations. California has always been regulation happy. For example with cars I always see in parts for California are different than the rest of the US. One policy Trump is bringing in is that the EPA must eliminate 2 regulations for every one the enact. I don't see that working however because they will just make the one regulation include both of the ones eliminated.

edit on 13/12/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

i know he stated he wanted to tighten the h1 abuse. im just not buying him doing it.

also reading the artcle certain premise kept sticking out to me about driving the cost down of IT position in America by flooding the market by lowering the education requirements in computer science related fields

Here is the thing, the reason these jobs are high paying is a shortage of trained workers. If a training program is setup, say in an inner city, wherein people are given free training for a decent paying job, it is a win win situation for everyone involved.

It is all just supply and demand.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Udntknowjack

Ironically, 1 person often occupies 3 of those 9.3 million jobs, because ObamaCare (aka ObamaSCREW) keeps employers from hiring as many full-time people. So, 2 or 3 part-time jobs are created instead. BUT HEY... Obama can claim that each one IS INDEED A JOB, can't he.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I've yet to see anything disputing his ability to create jobs as well

And I'm no Obama fan boy

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Great idea. That and reining in the H1B visa program will make companies hire American workers. And inner cities will benefit greatly from tech schools training people for high tech jobs.

Germany has a great system. They work with companies and send students right out of high school to training programs and have intern programs with the companies. We could greatly benefit from such a program. I went to a skill center in High School for half of the day in my Jr and Sr years. I got a certificate in Industrial Electronics when I graduated high school. They had mechanic programs and others. My friend was able to get his ASE certification by the time he graduated.

edit on 13/12/16 by spirit_horse because: typos

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
Perhaps, but Trump and the Republicans are going to reign in the H1B visa program. Companies will have to hire American workers first if they apply. The H1B visa program has got out of control. It was meant to provide companies with a last option to get qualified workers if they could not find Americans that were qualified. However, companies have been hiring foreign workers through the program because they work cheaper, don't know the regulations/laws that protect workers, etc.

I agree that it's out of control but the workers really are needed. US born workers when taking coding tests for these companies aren't passing them. Either the corporations have unrealistic expectations or the colleges failed, or both. But US grads aren't filling the demand from these companies, and they're instead going elsewhere for their workers.

Well, here in Ohio we just recently changed some education requirements. The general education requirements went up, which is squeezing classes out of the actual programs. No complaints on my end, since that benefits me and I just want to finish school and put it behind me, but that's an example. CS degree's aren't known for being easy for the most part, but at the same time they're not known for being well taught either.

It's a very lucrative field but a lot of people never break in because they can't pass technical interviews. My opinion on this is that the field is too broad and we don't specialize the degrees enough. For example I'm in Gaming/Simulation which is essentially one branch of CS, and the branch that's going to be making all the cool Virtual Reality stuff in the coming years. But there's also people doing web development, and people doing cyber security. There's virtually no overlap in any of this and the schools teach a very shallow depth of knowledge where you get a brief exposure to everything, rather than going deep in one subject.

In my opinion, that's why CS is in the shape it's in. But to non techies, they don't really see the nuance when writing this stuff up.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I should have said apply AND QUALIFY. I have come to suspect the education here also. I had numerous people that were hired by HR that had more credentials than I did and they were absolutely unqualified to do the job when the rubber met the road.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join