It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chirac calls for global tax to fight AIDS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
French President Jacques Chirac called for a tax to finance the global fight against AIDS. The experimental tax, which could be raised on international financial transactions, could generate $10 billion a year, Chirac told the World Economic Forum.

Chirac calls for global tax to fight AIDS

"I propose today moving forward through the creation, in an experimental way, of a levy to finance the fight against AIDS," Chirac told delegates in Davos

I applaud Chirac for proposing a solution to ongoing threat to mankind.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Just like the french.
If theres a problem the solution is to use other peoples money

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I wonder what Chinese, American and German companies and taxpayers will react to this... moreover, how will the funds be administrated? Through the UN? Through a new international agency? Through an oversea financial bank? Sounds like a vain propaganda claim to me, sorry.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Kakugo - 'vain propaganda' ... you are being polite.

Chirac is, once again, trying to sound relevent. He's not
even a has-been. He's a never-was. His self promoting
propaganda is useless. What he really said was that he
want's to soak America for all it's worth because he's
jealous that America's economy works and that Europe's
is faultering. He wants like hell for America to fail and if
he can get his hands into our back pockets he figures it's
one more way for him to possibly accomplish his self
appointed mission to squash America.

Chirac doesn't give a rats butt about poor people. He let
15,000 old Frenchies die in a heat wave while he stayed on
his vacation in Canada. He's a freak.

Here's the way to end AIDs without costing anyone a dime -
QUIT SCREWING AROUND and QUIT SHARING NEEDLES.
There. Problem solved. Didn't cost a dime of a new
tax imposed on America by ... THE FRENCH.

[edit on 1/27/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I agree AIDS is a very big problem, but I think the only cure is quarantining. Drastic things call for drastic measures.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
FlyersFan,

You have a hard time keeping up a positive parlance. If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all. Your non-sensical babble had nothing to do with the issue at hand.

And to think I was given an unvalidated warning for calling your tautalogies annoying.

Aids is transmited through a myriad of ways, young FF, why don't we learn that first. Needles and Sex are just one face on this ugly demon.

I say hats off to Chirac: Aids is one of the biggest epedemics on this planet which can cripple an entire economy and moral of a country. It needs to be halted before it spreads any further.

www.sfgate.com.../chronicle/archive/1998/06/30/MN9145.DTL
www.worldbank.org...

Deep

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.
Your non-sensical babble had nothing to do with the issue at hand.

It's the truth and it has everything to do with the issue at hand.
Just because the truth is ugly, doesn't mean it shouldn't be spoken.
The truth - Chirac is a freak and he just wants to soak America
for $$$ so he can spend it.
A change of lifestyle would
SERIOUSLY put a MAJOR damper on HIV and AIDs. It's that simple.
True ... pediatric AIDS and AIDS caught through bad transfusions
would still happen, but by and far the rest would end if people
would curb their lifestyles and THAT is free, not requiring Americans
to give up any more of our money to foreign powers to allegedly
'do good' with. (considering France and the UN, and the billions
they stole from the Oil for Food program, they have no right to ask
for or to get any money from anyone for any reason)
.... That's the truth. Deal with it.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Kakugo - 'vain propaganda' ... you are being polite.

Chirac is, once again, trying to sound relevent. He's not
even a has-been. He's a never-was. His self promoting
propaganda is useless. What he really said was that he
want's to soak America for all it's worth because he's
jealous that America's economy works and that Europe's
is faultering. He wants like hell for America to fail and if
he can get his hands into our back pockets he figures it's
one more way for him to possibly accomplish his self
appointed mission to squash America.

Chirac doesn't give a rats butt about poor people. He let
15,000 old Frenchies die in a heat wave while he stayed on
his vacation in Canada. He's a freak.

Here's the way to end AIDs without costing anyone a dime -
QUIT SCREWING AROUND and QUIT SHARING NEEDLES.
There. Problem solved. Didn't cost a dime of a new

[edit on 1/27/2005 by FlyersFan]

What about inherited AIDs? :\

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
sounds like a great idea to me to combat AIDS. We need a continuous world effort to beat the problem, millions of lives are at stake.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
You have voted FlyersFan for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I agree that Chirac is irrelevant. Perhaps he is looking for ssomething to replace the income he lost when the OFF (Oil For Food) debacle was exposed.

Maybe he can call it MFA, Money From Aids.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I take the occasion for asking something: I remember the days when AIDS was on every newspaper every day. It seemed like a new plague. Then, as the infection waned in the Western world, AIDS was almost forgotten, free to ravage a whole continent. All of a sudden there's a revamped interest in the fight against AIDS: why? First President Bush "promising" more funds to fight AIDS, then the Spanish bishops saying that the condom "may be a useful instrument to fight AIDS", now Chirac with this crazy idea. I personally doubt that they truly give a damn about what's going on in Africa, about all the millions infected and all the orphaned children. Maybe AIDS is making a comeback in the Western world? What are they not telling us?

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
A Global Tax Chirac is insane if he thinks this will happen. I dont know about other countries but in the US we are already taxed too much. I could only imagine the response if Bush called for a Global tax.

A president of a wanabee Super power wants to tax the world. Chirac should stick to trying to tax France and leave the rest of us alone.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
A Global Tax Chirac is insane if he thinks this will happen.

He knows it can't happen, this is why he said it. If the world opposes it (or ignores it) to many he is still a saint for suggesting it. He doesn’t even have to push for it, just put the idea forth. If the U.S. ignores it, he can call us out, making us look bad to the snivel-liberals of the world. But in any event, either it does nothing or makes him look good, a smart move on his part for putting forth a stupid plan.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
It might make him look like a saint if people forget about him selling Nuclear reactors to the likes of Saddam. I mean we all now countries sitting on some of the largest oil reserves in the world really need Nuclear energy. Then trying to send them weapons-grade uranium, even though a safer grade was available. Atleast then president Valery Giscard d'Estaing scrapped that plan of Chiracs.

Its like selling Iraq sand if only sand could be used to make nuclear weapons.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
No world government, no ability to tax world citizens, not organization to levy, collect, and dispurse these taxes. The best that could be done is increase UN membership dues and earmark it for aids usage. Of course, there is already money being used for this.

How would it fight against AIDS? Abstinence programs? Condom dispersals? Research? Research on HIV or research on some 'other' cause? Would nations with high infection rates get to decide how some of the money is spent, after all they'd have a better handle on it that someone from NY? What if they want to spend it on non-HIV 'aids' research? They should'nt be allowed to no? Will they be cut off then? Will it be used to defray the cost of anti-HIV aids drugs? Who will negotiate the price for them with the drug companies? Do the drug companies have to pay into the tax? Can they be re-imbursed? What if a company losses business, say in stock worth, because the administering organization doesn't choose their treatment for irrational reasons? Can they recoup their losses? Thru the aids tax?

I just don't see the globe as being a body that can handle this.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Just like the french.
If theres a problem the solution is to use other peoples money

Just like the Americans. If there's a problem the solution is to blow something up.

I like serving back blanket statements like that.

Originally posted by FlyersFanDidn't cost a dime of a new

Yes, I'm sure that for the French it's always about Americans and draining Americans. You know, I don't think they have the same kind of obsession with America as some people here seem to have with them.

Edited, part of my post had disappeared

[edit on 27-1-2005 by Otts]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts

Yes, I'm sure that for the French it's always about Americans and draining Americans. You know, I don't think they have the same kind of obsession with America as some people here seem to have with them.

Well when their President talks about taxing the world that covers America too since we are part of the world. People have a right to show interest in this because it can effect them if the live in America or China and any country.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
tough luck trying to tax americans, they just would have a war over it
just like before

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Shadow - I agree Americans have a right to show interest in this question. But there's a difference between "This isn't the solution to the problem, we're not for it, and we hope the other countries aren't either" and "The French are trying to siphon off America again".

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Otts
Shadow - I agree Americans have a right to show interest in this question. But there's a difference between "This isn't the solution to the problem, we're not for it, and we hope the other countries aren't either" and "The French are trying to siphon off America again".

Thats a valid point Otts there is really no need to Bash the French those feelings should be focused on Chirac since it was his idea and not the French people.

I really think cavscout post is the real reason behind this, and to that effect its a pretty smart move on Chiracs part I wish I thought of it.

I suggest a Global tax to rid the world of unused landmines

top topics

<<   2 >>

join