It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sixth Grader Saves Classmate From Choking With the Heimlich Maneuver

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
A great job by a public school student who rescued her classmate from a medical emergency while the adults and classmates were in a panic! I guess public school is not so bad after all, seeing as she learned this by simply reading and remembering the posters she saw in her elementary school nurse office.

BayNews9
Janae Huff, 11, recently jumped into action at school one day when a classmate began choking on a lollipop that had broken off the stick.

Huff, who attends Jennings Middle School, performed the Heimlich maneuver on the boy until he coughed it up.

"His name is Adam, he was sitting next to me and he was eating a lollipop and when he tapped on my shoulder, I saw his face was red and he was doing this, I knew he was choking," Huff said. "I was scared, I was like, what is going on, everybody was up and running, we called the classroom next door, everybody was yelling, it was so loud, my heart was beating really fast."

Huff didn't hesitate though, and immediately jumped behind Adam and performed the life-saving maneuver.
She said she remembered reading posters in the nurses office at school when she was an elementary student. She said that's how she knew exactly what to do.

Huff, who said her family is very proud of her, will be honored at Tuesday night's school board meeting to receive an award for her heroic actions along with her family.

So people, do not be so quick to judge public school. Its working, kids are saving each others lives! Good job Janae, maybe you have a future in medicine!

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I'm not so sure that this says anything about public schools one way or the other. However, everyone should know how to do the heimlich. Especially parents. In fact, it should be made a part of that stupid "birth class" our local hospital forced us to sit thru to be able to have an epidural.

I cannot tell you how many times I had to perform the heimlich on my kid when he was a toddler. He was a big fan of food of every kind and would stuff his little piehole with too much and then attempt to swallow it all. Needless to say, it wouldn't always all go down and I would have to help him get it dislodged and back out. Scared me to death the first couple of times - it IS scary when it actually comes down to it and you know you have a serious situation on your hands and you know what you have to do...

This little girl was certainly quick thinking on her feet and kept a much calmer head than the adults, from the sound of things.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

If anything, this teaches us the importance and ease of learning and knowing a life saving technique. If this little girl was able to succeed with only an illustration she remembered a year earlier, it should be simple enough for any adult to learn and know as well. I sure am glad that these posters are in schools.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

It's good to know they're teaching kids something of Value still in the Institutional System other than how to be snowflake pansies without an f'ing clue after they leave home.

Kudos to this Kid!

new topics

top topics

join