It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Farewell: America Hasn't Overcome-Racism-slavery-Jim Crow

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You consider that confrontatoinal? I said I don't buy what you are selling. And I don't.

I find it difficult to believe that there has never been an instance where you or someone else didn't notice race. So if you think real hard, walking through a store, or even watched a news story or talking with a old relative?

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

What don't you believe? That I accepted that that person experienced racism or that I didn't experience racism of my own? Also I never said I had never not SEEN it. I just said I never experienced it. Words have meanings. You should learn them.
edit on 13-12-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Ok, you are the winner.

I think that there is a problem with the POTUS assuming that he rose to power in a country that somehow still has trouble with all the issues he mentioned.

And you can experience things with out having them happen to you, alcoholism, domestic violence, racism come to mind. But maybe you think differently.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I'm not trying to be a winner here. I just don't need you jumping down my back for things I say. Especially when I wasn't even addressing you to begin with. I shouldn't have to demand respect from fellow posters, but it's becoming all too common coming from Trump supporters such as yourself these days.

I think it is delusional that you think that anyone expected racism to be fixed just because Obama brought it up and decided to start working on it again.

And you can experience things with out having them happen to you, alcoholism, domestic violence, racism come to mind. But maybe you think differently.

The world is defined by your perceptions.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I still think that Obama is being irresponsible with his statements.

Not a Trump supporter.

And I did not jump down your back, I said I don't buy what your selling, still don't.

But if you think that was jumping down your back, maybe you never have had any experiences with racism.

And you realize you are posting on a public forum. So everyone can read your posts.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I still think that Obama is being irresponsible with his statements.

Well according to many there is nothing Obama could say that would come off as "responsible with his words". So I take this with a grain of salt when I read it on ATS. But in any case, good thing that Obama is leaving right?

Not a Trump supporter.

Could have fooled me. I see a lot of you carrying the torch for the man and MANY attacks against liberals including the Clintons and the Obamas in your thread history. And that's saying nothing about my memory of your posts either.

And I did not jump down your back, I said I don't buy what your selling, still don't.

But if you think that was jumping down your back, maybe you never have had any experiences with racism.

So you don't believe me, but as long as you can throw a back handed compliment my way then you do?

And you realize you are posting on a public forum. So everyone can read your posts.

Yeah I'm not surprised. Instead of a simple apology and moving on with a polite post, it's MY fault that I expected civility from other posters.

This thread is probably a lost cause. Expecting civility from a Trump supporter is unlikely.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I voted Trump, but am not a supporter. My posts are not to offend or hurt peoples feelings, and if you feel that I am looking to somehow bring you down or make anything your fault, that is not my main goal. You can review my posts, and they are pointed, but never personal.

If you dislike Trump, boy I can understand that. He is a D-bag. But I feel his is a much better option than HRC. Now we can disagree on that. It's ok. With very successful people they can lack in other parts of their life.

So if you feel slighted, that is not my plan nor my goal. I appreciate your input and we can have pointed discussions.

I still don't buy your claim that in terms of racism. That is strictly my opinion.

Yeah I'm not surprised. Instead of a simple apology and moving on with a polite post, it's MY fault that I expected civility from other posters. This thread is probably a lost cause. Expecting civility from a Trump supporter is unlikely.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Ok. This post was much more civil and I appreciate that so I'll elucidate on my point further.

The racism that I see, "experience" if you will, are just the micro-aggressions that you are upset with Obama pointing out. I don't see people being violent or hateful for people's skin color. Sure I read about it in the news so I know its HAPPENING in the country, but with my own eyes I'm not seeing it. Also, if I DO say I'm seeing it you'd probably have a problem with what I'd be labeling racist anyways because again they are just micro-aggressions. So it is easier to just say I don't see it but acknowledge that it exists in the country.

My BELIEF is also that most people don't experience much racism from day-to-day. Especially white people. This may be a racist thought itself, but I think demographics may carry me on this one. This isn't to say that white people can't experience it. They can and have. It just isn't likely. White people have the easiest access to getting up and relocating in the US. So if a white person experiences it, it is just super easy to move somewhere else where they won't experience it, and picking one of those locations is as easy as throwing a dart at a dart board. Sure you COULD hit a ghetto of Chicago or Baltimore but its more likely that you'll hit the countryside which is white haven.

I say all this as a person who has lived in and around Baltimore since 1998 (save for a brief 3 years in the Army). Remember the protests/riots (depends on your perspective since there really wasn't much damage in bmore) around the Freddie Gray trial? Well there was a reprieve for one night between the two nights of conflict. You know what I did? I went to the Inner Harbor in Downtown Baltimore and saw a concert. By myself.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I think we have more in common than we do in difference. Til the next post, thank you for the back and forth.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Thank you. This is why I'm getting upset with the kneejerk hostility that permeates ATS these days. Everyone wants to go into threads half-cocked and ready to argue so they end up unable to even see when they share similar beliefs to someone else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join