It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Farewell: America Hasn't Overcome-Racism-slavery-Jim Crow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Obama, those who are not subject to racism have blind spots. Still struggling to over Jim Crow, slavery.

America is still struggling to overcome its "legacies of slavery, Jim Crow, colonialism, and racism," President Obama told Comedy Central Monday night.

Appearing on "The Daily Show," Obama was asked about how he speaks to crowds about race.

How does he "skirt that line between speaking your mind and sharing your true opinions on race.

Again, Obama feels there are blind spots for people who are not subject to racism, but they can learn. WOW

You know, my general theory is that, if I was clear in my own mind about who I was, comfortable in my own skin, and had clarity about the way in which race continues to be this powerful factor in so many elements of our lives," Obama said. "But that it is not the only factor in so many aspects of our lives, that we have, by no means overcome the legacies of slavery and Jim Crow and colonialism and racism, but that the progress we've made has been real and extraordinary, if I'm communicating my genuine belief that those who are not subject to racism can sometimes have blind spots or lack of appreciation of what it feels to be on the receiving end of that, but that doesn't mean that they're not open to learning and caring about equality and justice and that I can win them over because there is goodness in the majority of people."
news.grabien.com...

news.grabien.com...

edit on 13-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

While the rest of the free world has been working towards equality, Obama has been working towards superiority.
There is a difference and it's why things are moving backwards instead of forwards. In 2016AD.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Considering EVERYONE is subjected to racism, he must just be listening to himself speak again, seeking blind adulation.

Ridiculous as usual

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Absolutely, he lives in his own past and pastes it on every white person he meets.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

A puppet talking about slavery.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
He's a very oppressed individual, and I'm sure he's reminded of it every day.

Must be hard, hardest of all is probably seeing all the opportunities his kids will never get because of the color of their skin. They will be destined to a life of hardship, struggling everyday as every step up from the bottom is met with a smack back down due to their race.

I'm actually weeping thinking about it.
edit on 13-12-2016 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
He's right about race playing a huge part in everyone's life, so does gender and sexuality. As a heterosexual white male I know what its like to be told everything is your fault.
edit on 13-12-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I just question if he knows what its like to be a white guy in 1988 walking past Cabrini Green, Chicago? Believe me I experienced racism as I had to run faster than I ever had before...to live, gee mister obama sir...is that racism, I'm sure I deserved threats of death for resembling a cracker?

Seriously this stuff infuriates me, he is so pompous, so divisive and because he can make everyone feel so guilty and apologetic for something they DIDNT do, nor do they perpetuate...he just loves making them cow tow and run around saying sorry.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Considering EVERYONE is subjected to racism, he must just be listening to himself speak again, seeking blind adulation.

Ridiculous as usual

Really? When was the last time you experienced racism? Care to describe the event?

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Read above bigshot. by the way, assume much? How do you even know what color I am? Preconceived notion much?

Also try being any race in most of Asia in the 90s, this is patently absurd. Oh how about the race conflicts in Cincinnati Ohio in the early and mid 80s? I was attacked by 5 black guys and pummled for being white...you , much like Obama must like hearing yourself talk, because how could you possibly KNOW what you are accusing me of not experiencing...absurd, and biggoted by definition.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Obama has a blind spot and is unable to understand the challenges that people that have actually worked for a living go through. He is unable to comprehend what it takes to create a good or service that people want to pay for.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Very true, I see a huge problem with the POTUS being so easy going calling people racists.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Obama ended up picking the scabs of racism and reopening a healing wounded. I can't wait for the "Divider in Chief" to become a historical relic.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I have had my a$$ kicked, wasn't considered for multiple jobs, and have had people at past jobs not disciplined because of supervisory fear of race related retaliation if they do follow the rules.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Obama ended up picking the scabs of racism and reopening a healing wounded. I can't wait for the "Divider in Chief" to become a historical relic.

You think he's going away any time soon? I suspect we haven't seen anything yet. Once he leaves office he can say what he really thinks.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Read above bigshot. by the way, assume much? How do you even know what color I am? Preconceived notion much?

Also try being any race in most of Asia in the 90s, this is patently absurd. Oh how about the race conflicts in Cincinnati Ohio in the early and mid 80s? I was attacked by 5 black guys and pummled for being white...you , much like Obama must like hearing yourself talk, because how could you possibly KNOW what you are accusing me of not experiencing...absurd, and biggoted by definition.

Fine. You've experienced it before. But your assertion that EVERYONE has experienced it is a flat out lie because I haven't experienced it.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

You have hit the nail on the head. This is what he really thinks, imagine a man who has become president saying that America is so racist. Think about that for a moment.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Obama, those who are not subject to racism have blind spots. Still struggling to over Jim Crow, slavery.

America is still struggling to overcome its "legacies of slavery, Jim Crow, colonialism, and racism," President Obama told Comedy Central Monday night.

Appearing on "The Daily Show," Obama was asked about how he speaks to crowds about race.

How does he "skirt that line between speaking your mind and sharing your true opinions on race.

Again, Obama feels there are blind spots for people who are not subject to racism, but they can learn. WOW

You know, my general theory is that, if I was clear in my own mind about who I was, comfortable in my own skin, and had clarity about the way in which race continues to be this powerful factor in so many elements of our lives," Obama said. "But that it is not the only factor in so many aspects of our lives, that we have, by no means overcome the legacies of slavery and Jim Crow and colonialism and racism, but that the progress we've made has been real and extraordinary, if I'm communicating my genuine belief that those who are not subject to racism can sometimes have blind spots or lack of appreciation of what it feels to be on the receiving end of that, but that doesn't mean that they're not open to learning and caring about equality and justice and that I can win them over because there is goodness in the majority of people."
news.grabien.com...

news.grabien.com...

I agree with him. Everyone else has moved on except black folks.

I've often said that the civil rights movement in America was too successful in the sense that attitudes towards race changed so quickly that the black community hasn't even been able to recognize it resulting us stuck in the past to our own detriment.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

So you now agree that he experienced racism. But of course you have been in a bubble, sorry I don't buy what you are selling.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Oh sorry. Was I supposed to just be a confrontational asshole like you are being and refuse to believe a word he says?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join