It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have made a diamond that's harder than diamond

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
So does that mean the lie that diamonds take millions of years to be created is finally debunked or do we still have to believe that?

I know that you are only saying this because you are a young earth creationist but no, this hasn't been debunked and no, it isn't a lie.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
So it's harder than itself?
Very interesting!

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

So does that mean the lie that diamonds take millions of years to be created is finally debunked or do we still have to believe that?

I know that you are only saying this because you are a young earth creationist but no, this hasn't been debunked and no, it isn't a lie.

It USED to be true Diamonds took a long time to make,bt now That Truth has been Changed therefore ti has becoem a LIE and has been debunked as true. See? And I didnt say anything about a 6000 year old earth.

Besides. Time is measured differently in Gods eyes. HE is just as old as the planet. Billions of years old as well. I think of God as a Scientist as well as mans creator. HE used Science and slowly evolved Humans over time. The 7 days thing is just a metaphore.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Hexagonal you say? Like graphene in another form (allotrope)... that is neat.

Now, I hope they take that and make more metallic hydrogen! Then string them along and make the world's first truly room temperature superconductor wire.

At least that is what I want for Christmas!

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
No scientist with any credibility will claim to know how much time it takes naturally created diamonds to form; it is impossible to study a process that takes place several miles below the Earth's surface. However, any geologist will tell you with complete certainty that a natural diamonds is guaranteed to be extremely old, no younger than 200,000 years and typically far older. This is a fact because the type of process required to transport diamonds to the earth's surface, kimberlitic/lamproitic eruptions, are extensively studied, well documented, and have not occurred in the history of mankind.
edit on 13-12-2016 by Voiceofthemajority because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Voiceofthemajority

Radiometric dating is a thing, you know.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Voiceofthemajority
No scientist with any credibility will claim to know how much time it takes naturally created diamonds to form; it is impossible to study a process that takes place several miles below the Earth's surface. However, any geologist will tell you with complete certainty that a natural diamonds is guaranteed to be extremely old, no younger than 200,000 years and typically far older. This is a fact because the type of process required to transport diamonds to the earth's surface, kimberlitic/lamproitic eruptions, are extensively studied, well documented, and have not occurred in the history of mankind.

Prove it

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I know you are only saying this because you think you know everything that you were taught as a child is true
But many others in this thread disagree with you, not just me

So irrespective my beliefs, if man can create a diamond quickly, why can't nature

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I know you are only saying this because you think you know everything that you were taught as a child is true

So irrespective my beliefs, if man can create a diamond quickly, why can't nature

God worked in millions and billions of years. HE evolved all life on earth over time. So why cant it take million years to make a diamond? Thats a blink of the eye for God.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

God worked in millions and billions of years. HE evolved all life on earth over time. So why cant it take million years to make a diamond? Thats a blink of the eye for God.

Please understand my question or statement

Diamonds dont have to take millions of years to be manufactured in nature
Yes or No???

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Please understand my question or statement

Diamonds dont have to take millions of years to be manufactured in nature
Yes or No???

My point is YES nature takes a long time to naturally make a diamond. Its been proven. they even have growth rings inside them. ALso the earth is very old. It was not literally 7 days.

I ALSO SAID manmade ones have debunked that ONLY NATURE can create a diamond.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

My point is YES nature takes a long time to naturally make a diamond. Its been proven. they even have growth rings inside them. ALso the earth is very old. It was not literally 7 days.

I ALSO SAID manmade ones have debunked that ONLY NATURE can create a diamond.

So nature takes millions of years to make a diamond, prove it
Also as I said, (its irrelevant the age of the earth), if man can make a diamond as quick as they do, why cant nature

I dont understand why you cant understand the question

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Its up to you to DISPROVE it takes milions of years to NATURALLY CREATE A DIAMOND. Carbon dating backs up the millions of years theory for natural diamonds BTW.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Its up to you to DISPROVE it takes milions of years to NATURALLY CREATE A DIAMOND. Carbon dating backs up the millions of years theory for natural diamonds BTW.

I didn't make the foolish statement about how long it takes for a diamond to be made
It's foolish to suggest the onus is on me.
In fact, there is evidence nature can make diamonds quickly, men can make diamonds quickly
Nature could surely replicate what mankind can do

And quietly yuppa, so no one else can here
Carbon dating, millions of years old, really
You just lost all credibility

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Most natural diamonds are formed at high temperature and pressure at depths of 140 to 190 kilometers (87 to 118 mi) in the Earth's mantle. Carbon-containing minerals provide the carbon source, and the growth occurs over periods from 1 billion to 3.3 billion years (25% to 75% of the age of the Earth). Diamonds are brought close to the Earth's surface through deep volcanic eruptions by magma, which cools into igneous rocks known as kimberlites and lamproites. Diamonds can also be produced synthetically in a HPHT method which approximately simulates the conditions in the Earth's mantle. An alternative, and completely different growth technique is chemical vapor deposition (CVD). Several non-diamond materials, which include cubic zirconia and silicon carbide and are often called diamond simulants, resemble diamond in appearance and many properties. Special gemological techniques have been developed to distinguish natural diamonds, synthetic diamonds, and diamond simulants. The word is from the ancient Greek ἀδάμας – adámas "unbreakable".

Im right. youre wrong. Oh and here is the following about Dating them.

Through studies of carbon isotope ratios (similar to the methodology used in carbon dating, except with the stable isotopes C-12 and C-13), it has been shown that the carbon found in diamonds comes from both inorganic and organic sources. Some diamonds, known as harzburgitic, are formed from inorganic carbon originally found deep in the Earth's mantle. In contrast, eclogitic diamonds contain organic carbon from organic detritus that has been pushed down from the surface of the Earth's crust through subduction (see plate tectonics) before transforming into diamond. These two different source of carbon have measurably different 13C:12C ratios. Diamonds that have come to the Earth's surface are generally quite old, ranging from under 1 billion to 3.3 billion years old. This is 22% to 73% of the age of the Earth.

Well what do you know I was right again.

Almost every diamond that has been dated formed during the Precambrian Eon - the span of time between Earth's formation (about 4,600 million years ago) and the start of the Cambrian Period (about 542 million years ago). In contrast, the earliest land plants did not appear on Earth until about 450 million years ago - nearly 100 million years after the formation of virtually all of Earth's natural diamonds.

Now how about read all that,then answer back.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The first thing I thought of when reading this thread is it would be great at producing even higher pressures than before.

I've never heard of metallic hydrogen, though the thought had occurred to me when drunk that it's possible all elements can be made into a metal (we have a habit of using the natural ones we can find) and that would include hydrogen.

Neat stuff, could potentially catapult us in terms of scientific endeavour and it was an accident. Gotta love that.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Search ATS for it. I recently posted the Harvard creation in Sci and Tech. That stuff is cool!

There are a couple more threads on it too.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I didn't make the foolish statement about how long it takes for a diamond to be made
It's foolish to suggest the onus is on me.
In fact, there is evidence nature can make diamonds quickly, men can make diamonds quickly
Nature could surely replicate what mankind can do

And quietly yuppa, so no one else can here
Carbon dating, millions of years old, really
You just lost all credibility

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   

In your mind Yuppa had no credibility to begin with, how could he lose anymore credibility in your mind when he had none to begin with?

The more you post the less people look at your posts with respect but with delusional complex instead, you will not open your eyes any further then your faith in your religion and your goal is to be disrecptful, foolish, insultful and to be a troll instead - "a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting." you are doing the second, you are also baiting,

You are Trolling:

make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

You are Delusional:

an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

You are Baiting:

deliberately annoy or taunt (someone).

You are Wrong:

unjust, dishonest, or immoral.

not correct or true; incorrect.

We are Done here:

no longer happening or existing.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: RAY1990

Search ATS for it. I recently posted the Harvard creation in Sci and Tech. That stuff is cool!

There are a couple more threads on it too.

Here they are:

This one has my update about Harvard having created a few crystals in the lab. ATS, Aug 2016 - The pressure is on to make metallic hydrogen

ATS, Jan 2016 - Strange New State of Hydrogen Created

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join