It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have made a diamond that's harder than diamond

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Scientists have made a diamond that's harder than diamond

Nature's toughest material just got upgraded.

This diamond is a version of Lonsdaleite, which has been found occurring naturally at the centre of a handful of meteorite impact sites around the world.

It's special because most diamonds are made up of carbon in a cubic lattice, but Lonsdaleite has a hexagonal lattice, which makes it up to 58 percent harder than regular diamond.

Now researchers have been able to make a nano-scale version of Lonsdaleite in the lab, and they predict that it's even harder than the naturally occurring version.

The team was able to create the new material by nanoengineering the diamond from scratch using a type of carbon that doesn't have a set form, known as amorphous carbon.

Very cool.

And oddly, yet another discovery made by mistake.
edit on 13-12-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Maybe we should tell our wives to sell their diamonds before the market crashes... ! S&F

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I can see how something like a meteor impact could produce pressures far higher than naturally available on earth and thuss make stuff harder than diamonds. I´ve a ring made out of tungstencarbide, it´s the hardest stuff after a diamond, it´s 9.2 or so. This stuff is used as a substitute for real diamonds in cutting tools. But if you throw it on the ground, it shatters into a thousand pieces.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

NOOOOOOO I rather have her admiring her cubic zirconia without ever finding out what it is.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

At least you can always say it´s a real zirconia
and wait for peoples reactions.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   
So does that mean the lie that diamonds take millions of years to be created is finally debunked or do we still have to believe that?

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

In switzerland, your ash can be pressed into an artifical diamond after you´ve been burned. I´m sure there are other places but this is the first one I´ve heard of. The cutting tools are sprinkled with artifical diamonds for a while so it´s not news of any kind. There´s nothing to "debunk".

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Very cool.

I hope everyone knows that diamonds are a massive scam.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
So does that mean the lie that diamonds take millions of years to be created is finally debunked or do we still have to believe that?

...eh? Diamonds are most commonly created with heat and pressure. In nature, these conditions exist around 100 miles below the surface in certain areas. In the lab, we've been able to recreate conditions close enough to work since the 50's. Other less-intensive methods have been developed as well.

It might not take millions of years to form them, but it might take millions of years for natural diamonds to find their way to the surface.

I'm not entirely sure what "lie" needs to be "debunked" here? The science is known; the fact that people misunderstand or oversimplify doesn't really count as a "lie".

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   
One question with the invention of Q Carbon and other materials harder than diamond is this process cheaper or more expensive than man made hard things?.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

In switzerland, your ash can be pressed into an artifical diamond after you´ve been burned. I´m sure there are other places but this is the first one I´ve heard of. The cutting tools are sprinkled with artifical diamonds for a while so it´s not news of any kind. There´s nothing to "debunk".

Go read phys.org about diamonds
Can't believe you don't know the lies in the textbooks still exist

There is heaps to debunk, go research

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

He doesn't believe in anything but his religion...
I assume a 6000 year old earther.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Well textbooks are just that, written text some time ago and so they are prone to be outdated over time. It´s a common knowledge that we are able to produce diamonds artifically. Or am I missing your point somehow?

Synthetic Diamond

While the term synthetic is associated by consumers with imitation products, artificial diamonds are made of the same material (pure carbon, crystallized in isotropic 3D form)

Source:

web.archive.org...://ftc.gov/os/2008/07/G711001jewelryguides.pdf

edit on 13-12-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Man made diamonds are cheap and identical to flawless diamonds. Wait until they start adding flaws to the synthetic ones and crash the market for good. Not a smart investment.
edit on 13-12-2016 by AutonomousMeatPuppet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Well textbooks are just that, written text some time ago and so they are prone to be outdated over time. It´s a common knowledge that we are able to produce diamonds artifically. Or am I missing your point somehow?

Synthetic Diamond

While the term synthetic is associated by consumers with imitation products, artificial diamonds are made of the same material (pure carbon, crystallized in isotropic 3D form)

Source:

web.archive.org...://ftc.gov/os/2008/07/G711001jewelryguides.pdf

Did you miss the part where I suggested a scientific up to date phys.org, re diamonds
Irrespective of what I believe
Diamonds don't take millions of years to be produced, clearly that's wrong

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Go read phys.org about diamonds
Can't believe you don't know the lies in the textbooks still exist

There is heaps to debunk, go research

Heaps?

You will need to narrow it down a bit for us.

Are we debunking that one of the ways in which diamonds can be created involves heat and pressure?
Are we debunking that the heat and pressure needed can be found roughly 100 miles below the surface?
Are we debunking that it can take a loooong time (potentially millions of years) for natural diamonds to work their way to the surface?

I don't quite get where you're going with this. A (brief) search on the site you suggested actually raised several articles supporting the "millions of years" needed.

Diamonds consist of highly compressed carbon atoms and develop deep underground at relatively high pressures and temperatures of over 1000 degrees Celsius. Earth scientists from VU University Amsterdam show that diamonds often have 'growth rings' similar to trees: due to changes in temperature and composition, the chemical composition in the growth zones changes, which leads to the development of 'rings' in the diamond. In addition, the scientists show that diamonds take millions of years to grow. Moreover, diamonds are often half as old as the Earth.

phys.org...

Most natural diamonds are formed at high-pressure, high-temperature conditions existing at depths of 87 to 120 miles in the Earth's mantle. Carbon-containing minerals provide the carbon source, and the growth occurs over periods from 1 billion to 3.3 billion years (25 percent to 75 percent of the age of the Earth).
phys.org...

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: EvillerBob

He doesn't believe in anything but his religion...
I assume a 6000 year old earther.

Really, really
So my beliefs about the age of the earth, and you are wrong
Change what I have stated about how long diamonds take to be made

Deal with the issue at hand, you seem frightened of the issue at hand
You seem terrified to talk about diamonds and how long they may take to be made

Let's deal with that, or you going to ...

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Well, I would put it this way: It does not necessarily take millions of years but can.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Super-Earth Planet Likely Made of Diamond

Move over, Hope Diamond.

The most famous gems on Earth have new competition in the form of a planet made largely of diamond, astronomers say. The alien planet, a so-called "super-Earth," is called 55 Cancri e and was discovered in 2004 around a nearby star in our Milky Way galaxy.

After estimating the planet's mass and radius, and studying its host star's composition, scientists now say the rocky world is composed mainly of carbon (in the form of diamond and graphite), as well as iron, silicon carbide, and potentially silicates.

At least a third of the planet's mass is likely pure diamond.

www.space.com...

Not worth much there.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Do not try to provide any evidence to this person, he will not accept ANYTHING at all in regards to it, it will be 100% his Religious beliefs and nothing else, he cannot be persuaded with reason or evidence, nothing will work regardless of how much you try, it is an impossible mission.

This is the Narrative he Believes - Creation: Age of Diamonds

Do not try, just ignore or the frustrations will become great.
edit on 13-12-2016 by MuonToGluon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join