It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gluten Free Rant

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
It is fattening.

It actually is not fattening. Fat does not make you fat, carbs and sugar make you fat.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It is fattening.

It actually is not fattening. Fat does not make you fat, carbs and sugar make you fat.

Maybe I'm blaming the butter because I don't want to give up sugar. I think sweets should come with an addiction warning. I honestly think I'm addicted to chocolate covered almonds. And pies.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Fats. Another rant i could do.

more fats are better than more sugars if the choice must be made. Fats have more dense calorie counts (9cal/gr vs 5cal/gr), but you eat far fewer due to richness and density. And the body, prefering to follow the laws of nature, doesn't like creating body fat stores out of dietary fat. Conservation of energy and whatnot.

Butter is maybe fattening, but worse (for most) is the starch that drives a cycle of "hunger" in response to the troughs in blood sugar.

If i remove fats from my diet, my food tastes bad and I lose no weight.

If i leave fats and remove starches, i literally melt while enjoying my food quite a bit.
edit on 12/13/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Gorilla's look better with a few extra pounds.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I tried gluten-free pizza....most are NASTY....and as you say expensive.

I found my threshhold for eating wheat/bread...and when I want pizza....I know my limits.
When I go to a steak house....I enjoy a small amount of breadsticks....with butter.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
What I understand, butter does not make you fat.

What butter does, is aid in food absorption. It actually assists in the body receiving more nutrients than margarine.

Butter is actually healthier for a person, but we've increased portion size because so much does not get absorbed.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

pizza....total love hate for me. As i get older its harder and harder to digest for me. Pizza dough is "gluten gone wild", with a tangled mess of proteins locking into rubbery place.

I can't imagine what gluten free pizza is like. I've tried a few low carb options, with the cream cheese crust being my favorite. Not because its "like the real thing", but because it ended up tasting like lasagna. Which i could live with. The best option i've found is the Aktins pizza's. Not great....but not terrible. Better than totino's. They shoulda turnt up the pepperoni's, though.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Maybe I'm blaming the butter because I don't want to give up sugar. I think sweets should come with an addiction warning. I honestly think I'm addicted to chocolate covered almonds. And pies.

In a way, you are. See the comments by the hirsute primate from the Lone Star state.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

As an Italian I have a genetic predisposition to crave pizza/pasta, I would have a very difficult time giving them up. My consolation to healthy living is that I have them once a week at most.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Sonoma makes a pretty good GF pizza actually....and it has uncured pepperoni.
It's the best of the lot, IMHO.
And for dinner it works in a pinch when the weather is bad and I have nothing thawed.

Pizza place GF pizza just sucks....and some actually upset my stomach.

We have pizza much less often these days...and when we do, we go to a local Italian restaurant.

FWIW, modern wheat is very hard to digest....and if you believe Wheat Belly, it's actually worse than sugar.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It is fattening.

Yep!!!!!

And especially starchy carbs.
Most veggies are actually good for you.
Not all carbs are bad.
But I know you knew that

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Most veggies are actually good for you.
Not all carbs are bad.
But I know you knew that

If you asked me what I ate most of during the week it is fruits, veggies and protein. I stay away from carbs/starch so I can indulge on the weekend.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

i have a prolem with rice. A real problem with rice.

that and potatoes.

I need to return to good eating. I've done a 2 week pass here and there....but need to put some concerted effort into it.

im an addict.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: nonspecific

man, me and butter.

I use a few oils, so butter isn't always used. But when its needed, i use it liberally. Maybe 3lbs a week in our house. Its part of the finish for just about everything hot.

Duck fat and bacon fat get used about as much as butter.

When will I be getting an invite to eat with BFFT's family? I will be asking for seconds...probably even 'thirds'! I like BFFT's culinary leanings

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

I am so sorry for your loss of bread. Personally, I don't eat much bread, but I love my pasta. I would die inside if someone took my pasta away and replaced it with gluten-free.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Yeah, I have never put flour in my potato soup. The starch from the potatoes, plus the milk and then (my secret ingredient) the entire package of cream cheese I put in near the end all make mine plenty thick. Then I serve it with bacon, shredded cheese and chopped green onions for topping it off. Hey, I never said my soup was healthy, but I will say it is delicious!

But like you were saying, I also cook mine all day on a low simmer. It makes it all glom together better and breaks down the taters so they are nice and soft. And it tastes even better the next day after spending the night in the fridge!

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Damn....sounds like me.
Maybe we're related LOLOL

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
that and potatoes.

I'm like Bubba from Forrest Gump when it comes to potatoes. I can list 50 ways I could eat them.

edit on 13-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

It's a dieting fad that took on a life of its own. I'm on the same boat as you and don't care if something has glutens in it or not. I actually know someone who has to eat gluten free because of health reasons and we've had this same conversation. She agrees too and that gluten free has been blown WAAAAAY out of proportion.
edit on 13-12-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

about 18 years ago a half Japanese guy from Colorado came to my call center to do some consulting work. I was a trainer at the time, fresh in my career. He gave me my first break, queueing me to reopen a call center in Laramie. A rather aggressive promotion that i struggled to keep up with at first.

Anyway, he's the only person with celiac that I have ever known, or known that had it anyway.

Im not the most social butterfly, and quantifying connections is difficult. But I know a lot of people. A lot of people. And it all distills into 1 person out of all the thousands has celiac.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join