It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gluten Free Rant

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Theres no gluten in either potatos, or corn, so Im a little confused , as both of these dishes should be gluten free?

Not trying to be argumentative, but theres a problem with the initial equation.

Cornbread is a mix of fine cornmeal and flour, along with some leavening agents, eggs, and milk. Or you can buy a "gluten free cornbread" packet.

The potato soup....apparently sans flour she gave up on any thickening beyond the wish that potato starch was up for the job. Me? I start with salt pork, then make a roux. Then build the soup from there.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Amen to confeit, i sear all my beef short ribs in duck fat prior making stew, or just flat out short ribs!

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
It's a little hard not to buy gluten free chicken...

Hopefully you are not paying more for it. Call me if you are.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Amen, you cook like me!, I was just trying to add to tge conversation for understandings sake, i work in the industry

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Fantastic, cutting edge science type of point.

My aunt graduated with her liberal arts degree in 1980 at UTPB. I doubt she is that up on the whole burgeoning "biome/inflammation" deal thats been growing over the last year.

But beyond that, you are absolutely correct. You may also want to avoid flour for low carb eating. She was only avoiding the glutens, not the starches.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
If there is any more meat on the bone I have some organic gluten free magic beans that I would swap for that fine cow...

I have an organic, gluten and calorie free whiskey substitute I would like to market and need a guinea pig to test it on.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I feel so sorry for your Mom. Food sabotage is the worst.
My Mom was on a "kick" with the fake salt, margarine, fat free cheese....a nightmare. In self defense all us kids were rolling with salt shakers in our cars or purses, butter in a ziplock and we brought the real deal cheese. While Mom fussed we were all gonna die...ahem, it was pointed out she would be going first.

A couple of glasses of wine later she'd given up on all of us "food heathens".

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Amen to confeit, i sear all my beef short ribs in duck fat prior making stew, or just flat out short ribs!

man, i'd eat that hard with my whole face.

The best word to add to "beef short" is "ribs". Im here to tell you.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Aaah well I like to thicken my soupscwith chestnut flour! Its wonderfulvflavor, subtle but slightly sweet and of course nutty

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: nonspecific
If there is any more meat on the bone I have some organic gluten free magic beans that I would swap for that fine cow...

I have an organic, gluten and calorie free whiskey substitute I would like to market and need a guinea pig to test it on.

Move along, move along....

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

And without a doubtbin cast iron

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Aaah well I like to thicken my soupscwith chestnut flour! Its wonderfulvflavor, subtle but slightly sweet and of course nutty

Ill have to try it. I like avoiding flour. Mostly because i have a rice addiction. But every good meal needs a sauce. And no sauce should go unthickened.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Yeah, im not defending it as much as 'splainin

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Paella is sauce-less, don't add ketchup or anything you vile monsters

I'm mad you people ain't drax, my chicken joke went over your heads

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Now can we talk cigars too? Im enjoying a nice Brazilian laranja wrap, toro while thinking about making beef short ribs in duck confiet for dinner...perhaps with roasted sweet potatoes

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Hah

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
People with celiac disease are allergic to a different component of wheat than people who are gluten-intolerant. I have been eating wheat all my life. About 6 months ago I was tested for food intolerances - probably about a dozen different foods. I was advised to stop eating wheat. I have tried pretty hard- I still eat it about 3-4 times a month because it is everywhere and hard to avoid and sometimes I just consider it a special treat (like a birthday treat). So anyway, After about 5 months or so of severely reduced wheat consumption, I no longer have constant abdominal bloating, my fingernails are no longer thin and weak, and the outer edges of my eyebrows have grown back (disappearing outer edges of eyebrows is considered a symptom of hypothyroidism). So anyway, I am having some good results from the reduction of wheat in my diet. Someday I hope to avoid it all together. But here is a short interesting video about wheat:

Oh and btw- I think traditional Southern cornbread does not have wheat in it.

Sal

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I have a friend who refuses to eat meat unless he thinks it has been grown organically. :facepalm: he thinks the meat in the store is from the factory farms in that documentary.

We live in TN. The cows you see in the fields today are the meat in the stores tomorrow.

Last week he asked me if i would take him hunting with me. He wanted to use a bow because he thought it would be more humane..... he's never shot a bow before in his life.

He's always the first one to post some BS facts on facebook too.

WTF!!

His wife claims to have a gluten allergy.... i have explained to her multiple times it's not an allergy, it's a lack of enzymes in your digestion. She got into a fender bender the other day. Barely pushed in the bumper. Didn't even scratch the paint. She wants to sue the person for 10,000,000.

I should prob just stop hanging out with them.
edit on 12-12-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Lol never shot a bow before? Best of luck with that! Better be caught in headlights about 3 feet away

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Yea. He had to ask 3 other guys advice before he believed me. He thought a bow would do more than a rifle. This guy AWOLed out of paris island. He has the loudest opinion you've ever heard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join