It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

milky way in all its glory

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

The incredible thing to remind oneself when looking at these photos, is that we are _inside_ this thing.

"Thing" being a nebulous choice of words. The stripe was called "milky" because the people that invented the term had no clue the 'milk' was stars or the 'way' part of a greater galaxy. Other galaxies were called nebulae until the invention of modern telescopes discovered their true nature.

Now we struggle with the notion the Hubble reveals to us an Infinite Universe in terms of "Deep Field(s)".

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

I'm scrolling through your thread now and the artist's portfolio, and all I can say is that this guy makes some awesome artwork! I'm about to bump your thread back up the list so more people can enjoy the beauty of it. Cheers for the share!

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I wish we could embed 360-degree photos in ATS posts. Like this one (again, winter-time Milky Way): www.facebook.com...

Another cool thing that appears in night sky photos (and in the one above) is Zodiacal light, which is created by tiny dust particles shed by comets in the ecliptic plane.

posted on Dec, 21 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: sparky31

And here on Earth... we worry about taxes... fossile fules and grabbing as much money as possible at the expense of others.

Truth is, life on Earth doesn't matter one bit as long as we are not directly part of something bigger. Look at that!

There are so my life forms out there zooming around that we could never stop counting. Why the hell aren't we pouring 99.9999% of all our resources into finding a way to safely traverse space and hooking up with the rest of them?
They could probably teach us a thing or 10.000....
edit on 21/12/16 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2016 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I love Milky Way photos by Yuri Beletsky. Here's a couple:

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join