It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reindeer are shrinking: warming threatens Christmas icon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Link to source

Reindeer are shrinking: warming threatens Christmas icon AFP AFPDecember 11, 2016 By the time they reached adulthood, reindeer born in 2010 weighed just over 48 kilogrammes (106 pounds), compared to 55 kg for those born in 1994 By the time they reached adulthood, reindeer born in 2010 weighed just over 48 kilogrammes (106 pounds), compared to 55 kg for those born in 1994 (AFP Photo/MARTIN BUREAU) More Paris (AFP) - If Santa is recruiting helpers to haul Christmas presents around the world this year he had better take a few extra, said researchers Monday who warned that reindeer are shrinking. Over the past 16 years, the weight of adult reindeer in Svalbard in the Norwegian Arctic has dropped by 12 percent, likely due to global warming, said study findings presented to a meeting at the British Ecological Society (BES) in Liverpool. By the time they reached adulthood, reindeer born in 2010 weighed just over 48 kilogrammes (106 pounds), compared to 55 kg for those born in 1994. "Twelve percent may not sound very much, but given how important body weight is to reproduction and survival, it's potentially huge," study leader Steve Albon of the James Hutton Institute in Scotland, told AFP. Previous research had shown that when the average adult weight in April is less than 50kg, the population as a whole declines, he added. Albon and his fellow researchers blame climate change for the shrinking reindeer. Scientists say land surface temperatures in the Arctic were about 2.8 degrees Celsius (five degrees Fahrenheit) higher last year than when records began a century earlier. Warmer winters mean more rain, which falls on snow and freezes, the BES explained in a statement. - 'Catastrophic die-offs' - The ice prevents reindeer from getting to the lichen which comprises the bulk of their winter diet and for which they usually forage in the snow. Lichen are complex organisms comprised of a fungus living in symbiosis with an alga or bacterium. "The reindeer starve, aborting their calves or giving birth to much lighter young," said the BES. Reindeer numbers have increased over the past two decades, said the research team, so greater competition for food likely also contributed to their smaller size. This meant there could be more, but smaller reindeer in the Arctic in the decades to come, "possibly at risk of catastrophic die-offs because of increased ice on the ground."

Here is a perfect example of what I consider to be "fake news". The story is true enough I guess. But the narrative is bull#. You read this article, and you are supposed to walk away thinking "Global Warming is making the reindeer smaller". NO. Anyone who understands wildlife management understands population and it's effects on the herd as a whole. More deer = less food for all which in turn = smaller, weaker herd as a whole. This is why there are limits that are controlled and change each year based on population for hunting season.

If you go to a national park, you notice that the deer are very tame and also, very much smaller than those in the wild. But depending on how it's reported, you could make it due to anything, if your readers are as stupid as you hope they are.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I learned one thing long ago, Hunters have an uncanny tendency to believe in magical fairytales..

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

perhaps, but they are armed, so you would do well to keep stuff like that to yourself.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Yes, I know, ive come across many, must feel great knowing that someone who is full ideas, ideals and opinions,and does believe in fairytales has a gun.. The world is a safer place with you running with a rifle isn't it?

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Yes, I know, ive come across many, must feel great knowing that someone who is full ideas, ideals and opinions,and does believe in fairytales has a gun.. The world is a safer place with you running with a rifle isn't it?

I suppose if you were to show me who has been harmed by my rifle, you might have a point, but as of right now, you just have tears and a dirty diaper.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

No not really, I'm just portraying your character

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
From 2008 -

www.seacoastonline.com...

Biologists are concerned that deer they are sampling have small skeletal bones and low fat reserves. The deer are producing fewer young compared to healthy deer in other locations. This is not natural.

Overpopulation can have severe impact on the size and weight of deer. Blaming it solely on climate change is just a scare tactic used by those pushing the Global Warming agenda.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Global Warming agenda? The worlds scientists would like to have a word with you.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
When I was growing up, it was common knowledge that Santa had 8 tiny reindeer to pull his sled. With growing population numbers of reindeer, the competition to get on the sled must be horrendous. So I guess reindeer are starving themselves to conform to the tiny reindeer image that they all want.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Then keep your opinions to yourself

Why? I AM the hunter.

Don't shoot the reindeer, it's going to takes at least twice as many to pull the sleigh 😳
And the might have to take turns.....
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen, and Rudolf and more.....

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
From 2008 -

www.seacoastonline.com...

Biologists are concerned that deer they are sampling have small skeletal bones and low fat reserves. The deer are producing fewer young compared to healthy deer in other locations. This is not natural.

Overpopulation can have severe impact on the size and weight of deer. Blaming it solely on climate change is just a scare tactic used by those pushing the Global Warming agenda.

exactly. And from a common sense perspective, pushing a false narrative only deludes the claim of "warming" being the culprit. If "Warming" really is a super threat, you wouldn't need bull# like this to make it something to be feared.

I had a waiter say something the other day that made me cringe. We were talking about Miami and he said "Aw, don't worry, it will be under water in two to three years". And I think he really believed this. Those pushing the AGW angle seem to have removed any and all common sense from the discussion, in favor of fear and misinformation. If the seas rise due to AGW, it won't be by 2-3 feet per year.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

originally posted by: network dude

Then keep your opinions to yourself

Why? I AM the hunter.

Don't shoot the reindeer, it's going to takes at least twice as many to pull the sleigh 😳
And the might have to take turns.....
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen, and Rudolf and more.....

See, you bought into the propaganda. They only needed Rudolph when it was foggy. So when it's clear, his ass is hamburger.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Herds go up and down in cycles anybody that gets out into where they live knows that. A bad winter can create a big kill off so is that GW too?? Common sense people!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Wait . That article doesnt cover the US where it counts . Santa has a US address . I know. I used to stay in a qounset hut not far from his house
Peace

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Herds go up and down in cycles anybody that gets out into where they live knows that. A bad winter can create a big kill off so is that GW too?? Common sense people!!!

I bet you hate polar bears too.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Smaller reindeer can levitate larger loads. This change is a good thing.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I was on a completely different wavelength. I was thinking about how much more tender the meat would be, having a smaller frame. Does that make me evil?

<<   2 >>

join