It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Fake News" - A Euphemism for Lies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I been growing ever more nauseated by the barrage of stories in the press about "Fake News". I don't know who started all this crap regarding it, but it's grown into a behemoth, bulls*** oozing from every orifice of the press.

When I was growing up, Walter Cronkite was the gold standard for news. He gave you the news succinctly and objectively and without emotion, the last of which has become an all-consuming disease in the contemporary world of "designer" news. Editorializing was reserved for a privileged few veteran broadcasters and was clearly delineated as such.

Watching today's newscasts is a painful reminder of a wonderful lost past when newsmen did not emote every feeling they had regarding every awful thing that happened in life and cherry-pick their language so as not to offend the earliest snowflakes feeling micro-aggressed in their safe spaces.

Now we have the "Fake News" phenomenon, another euphemism. In my day, the word for it was lies and, as such, it was discouraged by every professional in the field unless you worked for the National Enquirer. Respectable newsmen took pride in getting the story, as accurately and as objectively as possible.

Today's "journalists" are a different breed, divisive, excessively competitive to the point that they produce nothing but inaccurate garbage instantly consumed by the ignorant masses, which is their objective. Keeping the masses ignorant serves their political purpose by keeping the populace off-balance and constantly guessing, wasting valuable time sifting through the debris in search of true gold.

If we are overwhelmed by trash, by lies, we have little time left to make informed decisions. At times we are so overwhelmed by the sheer bulk of input that we shut down and turn to bread and circuses to ease the discomfort, and we are overcome by the toxic tide to the detriment of ourselves and our country.

What is the solution?

Give me the news and only the news, thoroughly fact-checked before a word of it is spoken on the television or the radio and printed on the internet and in the hard press.

Give me quality not quantity. Give me the truth and only the truth. Stop wasting my time.

Stop presuming you know better than I do what I need to know, when I need to know it, and why it is important to me.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Whether we're spoon fed news or spoon fed lies, the point is, we're getting spoon fed.

We need more freedom in the marketplace of information and news.

Ultimately, it should be up to us, the individuals, to discern fact from fiction. NOT letting anyone else categorize for us.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
What is the solution?

Stop watching TV for news.

Average American watches the TV five hours a day.

It's pretty clear Americans love their TV's.

And what about our beloved cell phones?

And then add it Internet - the picture should be clear.

To think that the ONE thing Americans universally LOVE (more than their own Americans) is not going to be manipulated to push a certain narrative.... lol. Let's not be naive.

Grab yourself a bucket of salt and embrace the ridiculousness that is the "age of information," and try your best to not let your brain fall out or the IMMENSE amounts of propoganda sway you. It's difficult but it is the only to approach things with silly non-essential things such as objectivism and rationality when it comes to journalism.

To expect that from paid actors/actresses (in which Americans care more about their appearance then anything else) - you're an idiot to expect anything else.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Whether we're spoon fed news or spoon fed lies, the point is, we're getting spoon fed.

We need more freedom in the marketplace of information and news.

Ultimately, it should be up to us, the individuals, to discern fact from fiction. NOT letting anyone else categorize for us.

You are getting spoon fed lies daily by the wonderful alt-right blogs and "news". This is who they are trying to combat. Groups that spend 100% of the time trying to extort money from you through ad money with no attempt at journalism.

People have been taking "Fake News" as anything not MSM or saying all news if "Fake News". Both of which are false. People are doing this to try to point the finger away from themselves and muddy the issue.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Then start censoring what you don't like.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

a reply to: Pyle

Then start censoring what you don't like.

Typical response.

No where did the poster suggest censorship - YOU did, for whatever reason.

But I digress for I'm probably considered one of the progressive leftists that hate America lol, I'll save you the reply.

For what it's worth I did vote for Ron Paul (a conservative), who was considered to be too extreme or fringe by many on the right at that point in time lol.

Keep up the partisan drivel though.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Either embrace free speech or don't.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

What do you think the end game is for this drive to point out and isolate/categorize "fake news"?

It's censorship.

They and many here are marginalizing free speech.

edit on 11-12-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Either embrace free speech or don't.

And where, in any post, has anyone suggested the opposite of free speech?

I've made it crystal clear that I CHOOSE not to watch TV or even bother owning cable because of the BS that is pandered through not only the media but rampant pathetic Emotional Edward's (grandson of Freud) advertising propoganda.

I think it's all BS but if Americans CHOOSE to watch in droves (in which they do), I don't really give a #.

I have no idea where censorship or the restriction of free speech applies here.

I think people should be able to tell LEO's whatever the Hell they want with the SJW/PC crowd coming in - I think people should burn whatever flag they want without the SJW/PC crowd coming in - I think people should join whatever cult (religion) they want without the SJW/PC crowd coming - I think people should be allowed to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, smoke/possess/medicate (using non-psychoactive compounds) cannabis they want without the SJW/PC crowd coming in.

And above all - do all of this, and much, MUCH more - without any sort of "legal entity," or government stepping in to say "no," under the guise of "national security," or "ITZ 4 da ChiLdReNn11!1!1" or whatever the excuse is.

The same applies to guns and people from different countries and cultures.

I'm ALL for personal freedom.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

What do you think the end game is for this drive to point out and isolate/categorize "fake news"?

It's censorship.

They and many here are marginalizing free speech.

I can agree with this, but to suggest I have ANY part or even remotely AGREE with it is a story in itself.

Within twenty to thirty years, Brave New World and 1984 will look like a leisure.

Censorship for certain "sites."
Unconsitutional measures towards Americans.
An ongoing effort to instill fear of guns into Americans.

This is the tip of the iceberg. These are the same people who have passed ALEC, TPP, Internet censorship under MANY different forms - yeah, these are the TRUE enemies of America.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I don't care if you are for it or against it.

I see too many that want to marginalize it though.

What many don't realize is that with Trump in power, it is criticism of Trump that I want to continue. But this push for limiting/categorizing speech that many hope for will bite them in the ass.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
"Fake news"

Yet another nauseating catch phrase meme to add onto the already existing sky-high pile of nauseating catch phrase memes.

And just like all those other nauseating memes, I've already become sick of this new one too.

The media/internet starts it off... and the rest of the lemmings run with it.

Fewer and fewer people are thinking for themselves anymore. All the media has to do these days is plant the seed and away it goes.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Some good points have been made so far.

No, I'm not calling for censorship, but more for a form of self-censorship. I'm looking for responsible, respectable journalism from someone.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that no one in the media is picking up this torch.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I think we'll have to pick up the mantle if we want truth.

Relying on media outlets for truth is like relying on twinkies for nutrition.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Greetings-

The Main Stream Media has become like a religion™ They're all 'different' and that makes them the 'same'.. I hope this video is viewable. It doesn't matter which station You watch (I watch the Western channel and TurnerClassics; they don't have commercials to let Me know how much I'm 'lacking')

www.youtube.com...

I don't get any "faux news" via a cell-phone because I don't have a cell-phone. I'll be the only old guy in Thee Olde Folks Home that doesn't have brain cancer, sure I still snip My pants but I do it to play w/the orderlies...

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I don't care if you are for it or against it.

I see too many that want to marginalize it though.

What many don't realize is that with Trump in power, it is criticism of Trump that I want to continue. But this push for limiting/categorizing speech that many hope for will bite them in the ass.

That's all I needed to know - you don't care.

I'm not pe of those people who want to marginalize anything yet you parrot as if I do - but I digress, for you don't care.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

DB Cowboy-

RE: Your signature.

Shouldn't it be 'Uni-Horn'?

That is all.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

News is boring, infotainment isn't. Welcome to capitalism at work. The most competitive product is what sells, not necessarily the best product. Fantasy is proving itself to be a more commercially viable product than reality.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Fantasy is proving itself to be a more commercially viable product than reality.

There's actually more truth in this statement than you may have thought...

Case in point, take for example the public's appetite for CGI (computer generated imagery) in movies now days. Reality has taken a backseat to pure fantasy, and people buy it. Even credible drama and action movies are completely ruined by CGI fantasy, yet people eat it up. It turns me off to the whole program the second I see it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join