Well, in a few weeks President Obama will be ending his final term as President of the United States and it will be time to take stock of his
administration's place in history. In spite of all the rhetoric, propaganda, talking points and fake news about him, ultimately Barack Obama will not
be recorded as the failure that the right-wing has painted him to be. Let's recap his record.
- Recovered the US economy from the Great Recession that started at the end of the previous administration
- Ended the Iraq war for all intents and purposes
- Eliminated the world's most notorious terrorist leader Osama bin Laden as well as several lesser terrorist leaders
- Fought ISIS in an extended air campaign which stopped their takeover of Iraq
- Passed the first comprehensive medical reform bill since the 1970's expanding health insurance coverage for millions of people
- Passed a new international climate change accord
- Got Iran to sign an agreement to limit their nuclear program
- Oversaw the creation of 15 million new jobs money.cnn.com...
- Took action to mitigate the economic time bomb of the student loan debt crisis
- Dealt smartly with several small-scale insurrections that could have caused large scale revolts if not handled carefully
What were the negatives?
- Recovery from the recession took longer than expected
- A lot of racial unrest came to the fore for reasons largely unrelated to the President (police killings) but largely blamed on him
- The world became more destabilized. Again, largely as a result of the previous administration, but many blamed it on Obama regardless
- The President's attempts to repair relations with foreign countries by apologizing for previous American actions were perceived as unpatriotic by
some segments of America
Overall, when historians look back on the Obama administration with objective eyes, they will see a President who accomplished a lot of large
achievements in the face of overwhelming partisan opposition and a lot of largely baseless public discontent. They will see a president who left
America no worse off and probably better off than it was after the previous administration. They may ultimately list Obama an average President, but
they definitely won't rate him as one of the worst.