It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone have experience with Combivent Respimat/Symbicort for asthma?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
So, within the past few years I've developed a chronic cough and have had breathing troubles. I went to the doctor, and was originally prescribed Symbicort, but I only took that a few weeks before I had to quit due to an uncomfortable feeling in my throat, I'll explain more on that later.

So, more recently the doctor prescribed me Combivent Respimat, and one week into taking that I'm having the same issue. I haven't taken this medicine long enough to tell if it's even working or not and here I am, I already skipped a dose of it this morning because I'm more scared of the side effect than I am the condition it's supposed to treat.

This 'uncomfortable feeling' in my throat is a little difficult to explain. It feels a little sore, very tense. It's like a constant lump in the back of my throat, like a very tense muscle that is cramped and in a tight knot. It is hard to swallow, and yet it feels dry no matter how much water I try to drink to the point that it burns, but at the same time it's covered in a thick mucus that I'm constantly trying to hawk up. It feels almost as if something is swollen, and that's what frightens me the most as it triggers an anxiety attack, I feel terrified that this thing is going to swell up and completely block my throat and keep me from being able to breathe at all.

I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow and get his opinion again, he might want to see me again while this is happening, but I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience if you've ever used one of these inhalers before.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

If you feel that your airway is swelling, and I can not stress this enough, STOP USING IT. If you just started, and you have a allergy it may not present itself right away, sometimes your body develops antibodies, and then you get a delayed type hypersensitivity.

I looked over the side effect profile of that medication and it contains albuterol, and ipratropium and found these are the most common

Body as a Whole-General Disorders

Combivent----Ipratropium----Albuterol
(these % are percentage of people affected)
Headache 5.6 3.9 6.6
Pain 2.5 1.9 1.2
Influenza 1.4 2.2 2.9
Chest Pain 0.3 1.4 2.9

Gastrointestinal System Disorders
Nausea 2.0 2.5 2.6

Respiratory System Disorders (Lower)
Bronchitis 12.3 12.4 17.9
Dyspnea 4.5 3.9 4
Coughing 4.2 2.8 2.6

Respiratory Disorders 2.5 1.7 2.3
Pneumonia 1.4 2.5 0.6
Bronchospasm 0.3 3.9 1.7

Respiratory System Disorders (Upper)
Upper Respiratory Tract Infection 10.9 12.7 13
Pharyngitis 2.2 3.3 2.3
Sinusitis 2.3 1.9 0.9
Rhinitis 1.1 2.5 2.3

I would also imagine a dry throat, or sore throat is possible when just starting the medication, but in my experience it isnt reported often. Please note, I am NOT a medical doctor, but I am a pharmacist, so please consult your doctor about this, it could be serious (allergy, or it could be an infection)

edit on pm1212201616America/Chicago11p01pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

edit on pm1212201616America/Chicago11p01pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

another thing worth mentioning. symbicort has a steroid and a long acting beta agonist (used to treat COPD). important to note here, is that neither of these medications are found in combivent, so if the same thing was happening before on symbicort, then it likely isnt an allergy with the combivent if that makes sense. Have you had these symptoms before taking symbicort?

how long were you on the symbicort? steroids can be kind of nasty and can suppress the immune system to an extent where respiratory tract infections become commonplace.....so reoccurring respiratory infection can happen (usually with prolonged use though)

my advice from previous post still stands however. if you ever feel like your throat is swelling shut when talking a NEW MEDICATION, immediately stop taking that medication and get yourself to the hospital......hope this helped!

edit on pm1212201616America/Chicago11p02pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

I took the Symbicort for about 3 weeks before that lump in my throat feeling got the better of me and I couldn't stand it anymore.

I don't know if it's worth mentioning but I was prescribed a steroid to take along with the Combivent Respimat. So long as I was taking the steroid I felt great. Yesterday was my first day without the steroid... and the first time my throat felt terrible.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

well, steroids are also potent anti inflammatory compounds as well.....so it is possible that without the steroid your throat gets inflammed and irritated? but you had the same thing when you took symbicort which contains a steroid....so that doesnt exactly follow

very odd.....definitely let your doctor know of this, and sorry I couldnt be of more help.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I was prescribed a symbicort inhaler a few months ago. I only use it before sleep though, and it seems to help the slight wheeze that was bothering me as I tried to fall asleep.

I was told to rinse my mouth out right after use as it has a steroid and I do that, every time.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I get bad allergic asthma. And im allergic to a lot. Brio works pretty good.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
My kid has asthma and uses Budesonid as a basal and buventol in asthma attacks, when he is sick with flu or have more asthma attacks ( in winter ) he uses symbicort, but only during bad days not contiously. He have not had any side effects.
edit on 11-12-2016 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Just a guess cuz i kinda know the feeling you describe as thats how i felt when i graduated college after 4 years of binge drinking. Drink more water. Stop binge drinking, or more to the point just don't drink alcohol for 3 or so months to see the difference. You're dehydrating yourself dude. Use that symbicort for however long your doc tells you but 3 months was good for me and I only keep around a standard pro-air inhaler now. If thats not your situation then just ignore my post. Speaking from experience tho.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Definitely make your physician aware of this response, and tell them it has happened with two different medications now. Have them check your airway, your SAT, etc. to make absolutely certain you're breathing fine.

I'm not a doctor, and this does not constitute medical advice or a substitute for it... but I can share my anecdotal experience.

What you're describing could be an allergic reaction to be sure, hence the abundance of caution others (and myself above) have suggested... but it could also be what is called globus sensation. It can be caused by lots of things, but with these kinds of inhalers, it's wise to rinse the mouth and spit after using them, as in some they can cause things like oral thrush, or worsen (or cause where absent) symptoms of reflux... which is one of the things that can cause globus sensation.

On its own, globus sensation isn't dangerous. I've lived with it for years off and on, precisely due to the use of this kind of inhaler. The sensation of having to hack up thick mucous - if this is what it is - is in actuality acid (or even the medication potentially) that has gotten on the vocal chords, causing both the illusion of something being there, as well as real secretions and some of the acid itself depending on how bad it is.

Globus sensation and the soreness, burning, and constant clearing of the throat can definitely trigger anxiety and panic in those susceptible (including myself.) DEFINITELY talk to your doctor about it - right away, would be my advice. But if they determine your airway is fine, talk to them about the possibility of globus sensation being caused by the medication, and what can be done to help control it (or alternative medications that might not cause the problem - though for me, I haven't found one that doesn't so far. And the benefits - especially when sick - of a preventive inhaler make it worth the suffering for me.)

Don't rely on this as a reason not to be concerned, though. Talk to your doctor about this, in great detail, ASAP.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

You nailed it in better terms. This is a much more accurate description of what I should have said, but I have always attributed the increase in reflux to my social habits of the past. The reflux pushed me into taking PPI, which have a tendency to causee dehydration. Drink too much alcohol or even soda I suppose, minimize water intake and take PPI, throat will always feel dry. Suck on an inhaler cuz you think it will help with breathing when the real problem ties back to the reflux.
edit on 12-12-2016 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I use Symbicort on a daily basis, and have for years, at this point.

Like has been noted on here, you should rinse your mouth (and gargle) after using the inhaler, although I never do.

The side effect that bugs the crap out of me is that is causes my voice to crack sometimes, especially when talking in a low volume, and it makes me sound scared and nervous, like I'm having to tell my dad where the new scratch on the car came from back when I used to sneak his car out without him knowing.

Hopefully you get it figured out--I know that the daily regimen of taking Symbicort really keeps my asthma under control, so I hope that you get it figured out.

I'd try gargling with some warm salt water often for a few days and see if that helps at all.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I always rinsed my mouth with both the Symbicort and now with the Combivent by swishing around some tap or bottled water in my mouth, gargling, and spitting out. With the Combivent, I was doing it twice.

Anyhow, the doctor said essentially what AceWombat04 said, and that it's merely irritation and nothing to be concerned about. I can't say that the sensation I was feeling was actually my airway swelling, or that it was hindering my breathing, it just felt like it, but I could still breathe perfectly fine.

I've taken the Combivent twice since, and both times rinsed out my mouth twice as before, but this time, chugging a bottle of water afterwards to hopefully rinse that stuff out of my vocal chords completely. It's only been one day of doing that, but so far I've felt fine today, if anything my throat is just ever so slightly sore, but not enough to bother me. Here's hoping it stays that way...

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Yep, globus sensation feels exactly like that. It feels like you can't swallow, and like it's getting bigger and bigger and freaks you out to no end. Believe me. As I sit here, I'm having it right now, and have to remind myself I've had it for years and always been fine lol. For me it's accompanied by burping up acid (sorry if gross) so I know that's what it is. (Upper GI study also revealed I have some hypertrophy of the anterior upper esophagus from over-use... probably taking too large swallows of fluids over the years. That causes it too sometimes.)

I hope you feel better soon! One thing that helps a lot for me is deep breathing exercises (SLOWLY, overbreathing causes tingling and other sensations which only increase anxiety for me lol) such as Qi Gong or balloon breathing through the abdomen. It helps train me to realize I CAN breathe just fine, and then the anxiety is reduced.

It's still a pain in the neck (literally :p) though. Best of luck. VERY glad you talked to your doctor.

Peace.
edit on 12/13/2016 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join