It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Countering Disinformation and Propaganda Act H.R. 5181

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

The legislation establishes a fund to help train local journalists and provide grants and contracts to NGOs, civil society organizations, think tanks, private sector companies, media organizations, and other experts outside the U.S. government with experience in identifying and analyzing the latest trends in foreign government disinformation techniques.

I may be reading to much into this, but what the hell are "civil society organizations"?

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

And since there is no formal way of proving whether or not there is indeed a foreign propaganda sponsor, all that will be sufficient to eliminate any "dissenting" website, will be the government's word against that of the website. One can be confident that the US government will almost certainly prevail in every single time.

Yeah, the government won't abuse this authority......

This simply can not be allowed to be enacted.
edit on pm1212201616America/Chicago11p12pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

It seems as though your Congress has forgotten this part of your constitution. You should all be raising hell over this.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

It seems as though your Congress has forgotten this part of your constitution. You should all be raising hell over this.

I am. Every single one of the idiots who voted for this and thought it was/is appropraite should be freaking ashamed of themselves. This is so blatant and in our faces a violation of free speech, that I can not believe it was even discussed, let alone passed and awaiting signature.

edit on pm1212201616America/Chicago11p12pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
am I missing something? why is there almost zero interest in this thread?? This is the most important story have ready so far today, and it is like people either dont care, or dont understand this bill's far reaching implications.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
am I missing something? why is there almost zero interest in this thread?? This is the most important story have ready so far today, and it is like people either dont care, or dont understand this bill's far reaching implications.

This transcends the partisan paradigm and doesn't get into the usual "it's the D's, it's the R's fault!"

This is an outright violation and (imo) a draconian act being implemented across the board... of course it doesn't garner much attention.

If it were a thread about the evil Nazi liberals or the idiot brainwashed conservatives... this thread would be popping.

But considering it's not.... people avoid it. Brings an entirely new meaning when it comes to ATS being infiltrated by dis-information agents.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hey paranoid posters- you do realize that "countering" propaganda does not mean taking away anyone's right to free speech. It means they are going to raise awareness about other countries trying to influence the US people. I fail to see that this is some horrific theft of our rights.

Every mainstream 'issue' the media pushes has an ulterior motive

Whatever. You could more accurately say that every "issue" conservatives push has an ulterior motive, and that motive is usually screwing us over by taking away our benefits and rights.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

so you are ok with the government working with media to create a kind of ministry of truth?

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If they are just working against foreign propaganda that's not nowhere near as bad as what you people are saying.

Of course the devil is in the details. I just noticed that it says they will be partnering with corporations on this, so on second thought it probably is a evil and terrible as you think.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

After the 2016 U.S. presidential election, worries grew that propaganda spread and organized by the Russian government swayed the outcome of the election, and representatives in the U.S. Congress took action to safeguard the National security of the United States by advancing legislation to monitor incoming propaganda from external threat

They're whining about RT. Fly in the ointment of western propaganda about humanitarian interventions and regime change. Buwah...

Poor losers.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I don't think it is paranoia to distrust the government in the least. Telling the truth is not really a strong point for most politicians. The Ministry of Truth is going to be the Ministry of U.S. Propaganda aka FAKE NEWS CENTRAL

There are 2 sides to every story. Sadly, we are seeing one side disappear.

Where is all this Russian propaganda anyway? Seems like any story that rings true is labeled propaganda.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

After the 2016 U.S. presidential election, worries grew that propaganda spread and organized by the Russian government swayed the outcome of the election, and representatives in the U.S. Congress took action to safeguard the National security of the United States by advancing legislation to monitor incoming propaganda from external threat

They're whining about RT. Fly in the ointment of western propaganda about humanitarian interventions and regime change. Buwah...

Poor losers.

This legislation is a ruse. RT is not what they are after. They want the right to erase new sites that they consider propaganda.

Russia is Manipulating US Public Opinion through Online Propaganda

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
In my opinion, the darkest and most criminal actors' deeds, misdeeds and shady deals have been exposed by hackers from around the world- not working on behalf of the Russian or Chinese governments, but in the interest of making the truth known to all. Wikileaks was the largest megaphone spreading awareness of these truths far and wide, so they'll certainly be gutted and dismantled as a part of this. And I'm not just talking about that Italian food-based subject that shall not be mentioned, I mean EVERYTHING... Yeah Hillary, the Clinton Foundation, etc. was/is a big part of it, but there are lots of criminal acts on both sides of the aisle, enough to make anyone question or abandon their political allegiances if they dig deep enough- there's plenty slices of every kind of lying, cheating, and other assorted nastiness to go around.

(I'd planned on including at least a dozen examples, with links to previous excellent ATS threads with the particulars, but my afternoon has gotten too busy.)

And as mentioned in the excellent posts above, this bill was authored in March. So while it wasn't created in response to any info made public over the last 8 or 9 months, it was likely crafted in anticipation of things just like this. Whatever the reasons, there's no doubt that it will now be used as a superweapon against "problems" just like that, to destroy just those kinds of thorns in the sides of the elites.

Bottom line - These gangsters can't believe how lucky they are, that we still haven't risen up and mounted the heads of the truly guilty ones on the city walls, even with the lies and crimes writ large for anyone with the eyes to see and understand. If it doesn't happen this time around, it's extremely unlikely we'll get this close to the truth again during this cycle of humanity.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Hey paranoid posters- you do realize that "countering" propaganda does not mean taking away anyone's right to free speech. It means they are going to raise awareness about other countries trying to influence the US people. I fail to see that this is some horrific theft of our rights.

Wrong. This is an all new specter. DOD has always had all the money its ever needed in persuasion operations built right into their budget, and just the same along the lines of the MSM always towing their lines around for them.

Propaganda isn't some kind of 'tech' that some sort of 'EM shielding' is going to block. Not until we're into cyberspace anyways, where websites propagating truth are undermining the "Official Version" with ever increasing effect.

Propaganda is simply communications that involve persuasion/diversion (from truth)/etc along the lines of agendas. TV commercials, political yard signs, anti-corporate boycott flyers, etc, etc, etc are propaganda.

This new thrust is several fold: It basically all starts with the citizenry's trust on the DINO Media is over. Their ratings are in the tank. People aren't buying the line. There are singular Internet news sources now that get more views than all the cable channels combined, and whom aren't towing the line. People are talking in social media. Government insiders / political hackers are leaking vast datasets to WikiLeaks.

And then there's the actual issues. Trump, BREXIT, WikiLeaks, etc is beating the Globalist agenda. High level government / elitist corruption is being exposed. The truth about the "War On Terror" / "War On Drugs" is being exposed (especially now that Russia and America are brushing up against each other Russia isn't holding back now about what she's seeing in all of that).

So what we are seeing with this "FAKE NEWS" push is total panic mode. BATTLE STATIONS: The Citizens are catching on! I dare say, this is what happens when the idea of "our government" being a dictatorship is finally called into question to its very core. It never 'really' had to show its 'roots' before, but now the dye is being washed off and its losing its cause to pretend any longer.

Welcome to the USSA folks. Many of us in and out of the USA knew all long. The age of there being any doubt about it is coming to a close.
edit on 11-12-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

(4) the challenge of countering disinformation extends beyond effective strategic communications and public diplomacy, requiring a whole-of-government approach leveraging all elements of national power;

(5) Facilitating the use of a wide range of technologies and techniques by sharing expertise among agencies, seeking expertise from external sources, and implementing best practices.

www.govtrack.us...

It's a rather vague bill, but from what I gather, it will create a committee and spend a lot of money. The bill will basically use technologies/techniques such as DDOS attacks, assassination of 'rogue' journalists, and a dramatic increase of shills/trolls.

Good times.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This bill relates to media manipulation, abroad. It is the Voice of America on steroids and appropriates a quarter-billion dollars for 2017 and creates the Center for Information Analysis and Response. That amount alone is staggering considering the entire Defense Spending bill total is $576B.

Somewhere in the past four months of crawling through WL, I saw Clinton-comments that she supports ramping up state-sponsored media efforts to influence opinion abroad. Don't remember if it was the Goldman Sachs speeches, or other communications, but I recall reading it and grimacing. The gist of it was, "Wel they do, so why shouldn't we be on equal footing." I'll research and if found in < 4 hours, I'll post source.

The recent recycling of year-old stories about Russian influence on our elections was, itself, media manipulation intended to both help sway public opinion here (should we have found out about this additional amendment), and garner Congressional votes necessary to approve the inclusion of this bill as an amendment to a fast-moving Defense spending bill that was passed Friday before they all bolted for home districts. A lot of really bad legislation gets passed in a hurry.

As soon as the President signs the bill, this hot topic of Russian involvement in our elections will fade because bureaucrats get $250M to play.

To see Broadcasting Board of Governorsa gets a seat at the table is a joke but I guess those cronies will help distribute the grants and other monies with a wink-wink back to their own cronies both here (think tanks, non-profits) and abroad. I wonder if any of the super PACs will be awarded fat grants in the name of Media Matters.

I'm most curious whether national political parties will receive the benefit of specific "research" this new agency will conduct as part of its powers.

Tis a shame. I try to get the majority of my news from non-US sources. Now I'll just be accessing stories influenced by "the state" after all.

Bonus: The Center for Information Analysis and Response won't sunset for 15 years. /sarc

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

Everyone knows "all options are on the table" means all options are on the table.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

Is that going to include our own intelligence agencies? Because it wasn't Russia that leaked all the emails and spread the propaganda.

This makes it clear who did it. It was the CIA and other agencies that gave WikiLeaks all the hacked emails.

Dr. Steve Pieczenik explains his belief and proclaims his involvement and those of his associates in what has been happening with the Clinton emails and other matters related to the election and who wields the power in the United States. Pieczenik is an author, Harvard University-trained psychiatrist who also holds a doctorate in international relations from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

He served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of State under Henry Kissinger, Cyrus Vance and James Baker in the Ford, Carter, Reagan and Bush administrations. His expertise includes foreign policy, international crisis management and psychological warfare. He’s familiar with the topic he’s discussing.

Wikipedia on Dr. Steve Pieczenik

Even Julian Assange said they got it from insiders in the government and not the Russians.

But...But...the Russians.

edit on 11/12/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Senate Bill 3274 Countering Foreign Propaganda and Disinformation Act was never was passed by senate or house.

www.congress.gov...

It's verbiage was quietly slipped into the NDAA for Fiscal Year 2017.

"Fake News" is the Establishment Media cheer-leading the implementation of this program.

Information on S.3274 begins at 6:30:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: EightAhoy

Bonus: The Center for Information Analysis and Response won't sunset for 15 years. /sarc

Just in time for UN Agenda 2030.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join