It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Countering Disinformation and Propaganda Act H.R. 5181

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This bill is awaiting the President's signature.
I'm surprised there is not a thread on it already.
Most people have no idea what this means once it becomes Federal law.

If you got a comment or a opinion, now's the time to use that right.
When the Global Engagement Center is up and running, the limiting of speech on the net will be its only purpose .

en.wikipedia.org...

www.zerohedge.com...

www.congress.gov...

Buck

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

Woah. What's particularly interesting is that it was written in March.. well before any of the "foreign propaganda" hit the main-stream.

All manipulations, manufacturng problems, and finding the "pre-conceived" solutions.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Thank you. Needed these data's for something big I'm workering on...

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Makes one wonder if that whole "food that should not be mentioned" thing was a psy-op to distract from real horrifying crimes that are being committed.
edit on 11-12-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
From your wiki link:

After the 2016 U.S. presidential election, worries grew that propaganda spread and organized by the Russian government swayed the outcome of the election, and representatives in the U.S. Congress took action to safeguard the National security of the United States by advancing legislation to monitor incoming propaganda from external threats.[1][6] On November 30, 2016, legislators approved a measure within the National Defense Authorization Act to ask the U.S. State Department to take action against foreign propaganda through an interagency panel.[1][6] The legislation authorized funding of $160 million over a two-year-period.[1][7] Portman urged more U.S. government action to counter disinformation and propaganda.[1] Murphy said that after the election it was apparent the U.S. needed additional tactics to fight Russian disinformation.

Who ever wrote the wiki is claiming that this bill was necessary AFTER the 2016 US election but it was presented in March 2016.

And what propaganda was coming from Russia? Hillary's hidden emails? That's not propaganda, that is exposing criminals.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The Center for Information Analysis and Response, is like the Ministry of Truth.

(3) Developing and disseminating fact-based narratives and analysis to counter propaganda and disinformation directed at United States allies and partners.

A government entity will now disseminate "fact-based narratives and analysis" (propaganda) to counter propaganda and disinformation.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I want you guys to read Tyler's opinion at ZH ( last two paragraphs ).

This is what it means :

" In other words, the Act will i) greenlight the government to crack down with impunity against any media property it deems "propaganda", and ii) provide substantial amounts of money fund an army of "local journalist" counterpropaganda, to make sure the government's own fake news drowns that of the still free "fringes."

So while packaged politely in a veneer of "countering disinformation and propaganda", the bill, once signed by Obama, will effectively give the government a full mandate to punish, shut down or otherwise prosecute, any website it deems offensive and a source of "foreign government propaganda from Russia, China or other nations." And since there is no formal way of proving whether or not there is indeed a foreign propaganda sponsor, all that will be sufficient to eliminate any "dissenting" website, will be the government's word against that of the website. One can be confident that the US government will almost certainly prevail in every single time. "

The administration in power will literally have the keys to kingdom.

Buck

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I was thinking "wow that was fast" but it looks like this was introduced to the house back in May (which is also interesting). Sounds like bad news to me:

This bill expresses the sense of Congress that:

- foreign governments, including the governments of the Russian Federation and China, use disinformation and other propaganda tools to undermine the national security objectives of the United States and key allies and partners;

- the U.S. government should develop a comprehensive strategy to counter foreign disinformation and propaganda and assert leadership in developing a fact-based strategic narrative; and

- an important element of this strategy should be to promote an independent press in countries that are vulnerable to foreign disinformation.

The Department of State shall establish a Center for Information Analysis and Response to:

- lead and coordinate the collection and analysis of information on foreign government information warfare efforts;

- establish a framework for the integration of critical data and analysis on foreign propaganda and disinformation efforts into the development of national strategy; and

- develop and synchronize government initiatives to expose and counter foreign information operations directed against U.S. national security interests and advance fact-based narratives that support U.S. allies and interests.

I agree that we're being exposed to propaganda generated by foreign governments in ways that we weren't previously. I've even gone so far as to say we're in the midst of an unprecedented information war. However, the answer isn't to have our own government telling us what to believe at all. That's what this bit sounds like to me: "assert leadership in developing a fact-based strategic narrative."

The answer to exposure to propaganda from foreign governments isn't propaganda from our own.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

As bad as this sounds under Obama, I really can't imagine why the hell anyone would want to pass this as Donald Trump, media manipulator is coming to office. He's already been waging a campaign against the press and specific journalists for over a year as a candidate. Jesus. Maybe they should call it "The Facilitating Authoritarian Takeover Act of 2016"

EDIT to add:

And I know you Trump supporters might disagree with me on that point but I think we can all appreciate the risks of any adminstration being capable of shutting down any domestic media or establishing state run media outlets for domestic consumption.
edit on 2016-12-11 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Trump can use it to jail CNN cronies

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

lead and coordinate the collection and analysis of information on foreign government information warfare efforts;

- establish a framework for the integration of critical data and analysis on foreign propaganda and disinformation efforts into the development of national strategy; and

- develop and synchronize government initiatives to expose and counter foreign information operations directed against U.S. national security interests and advance fact-based narratives that support U.S. allies and interests.

There's already more than a dozen sections of presently existing agencies doing this very work as we speak.

This will target dissemination of information internally, ( CONUS ).

Buck
edit on 11-12-2016 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
sounds like ATS is running out of time.
They must be planning on ousting Trump. He would have a one up on the MSM if the office is given that power. The threat in itself will straighten out news to fit .gov narrative.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
would it be foolish of me to assume that they will first repeal the law that allows the government to spread false news and propaganda before they enact this law? of course it would be foolish of me to assume that they would live by the same laws that us commoners have to.

It just goes to prove that they can pass a law very quickly if they want to and if the law benefits them.
edit on 11-12-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
So who's to say what is and what isn't 'propaganda'? Sounds like an excuse to censor information. Propaganda is unavoidable, that's the downside to an open and free internet, anyone and everyone can post whatever they want because of free speech.

It shouldn't be the job of the government to decide what is or isn't propaganda, it's the job of the individual to research and sift out the truth for themselves. This will not go well, the government cannot be trusted with information, they will only use this bill to push their own agenda.

What's sad is that this whole 'fake news' rhetoric will have people supporting this bill. Every mainstream 'issue' the media pushes has an ulterior motive, this is no different.
edit on 12/11/2016 by LumenImagoDei because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
would it be foolish of me to assume that they will first repeal the law that allows the government to spread false news and propaganda before they enact this law? of course it would be foolish of me to assume that they would live by the same laws that us commoners have to.

It just goes to prove that they can pass a law very quickly if they want to and if the law benefits them.

At the risk of being hyperbolic, I am compelled to remind everyone to research a bit about the rise of the Third Reich.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This is not surprising in the least. If you didnt think there is an information war before, this should about seal it. It is happening right before our very eyes. They are not even really hiding it anymore, it is wide out in the open.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well, this seems like the next step after the US repealed the propaganda ban in 2013.

I wonder what the future holds for the United States but I would bet on some heavy 1984 style of sh*t.

ETA: Just 3 years ago the US government lifted the ban on propaganda. This years election was a disgrace filled with fake news and manipulation but of course who is to blame? Those goddamn Russians!

edit on 11-12-2016 by Danowski because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

These are the types of topics and threads that we need more of, not threads defaming my favorite Friday night food choice, when Mandela croaked or which celebrity answers to their Reptilian overlords.

Here is an actual example of government trying to limit the private citizen and it has not even gotten off the first page. We are distracted with inconsequential topics of a frivolous and superficial nature while more and more of our rights evaporate right under our noses.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

These are the types of topics and threads that we need more of, not threads defaming my favorite Friday night food choice, when Mandela croaked or which celebrity answers to their Reptilian overlords.

Here is an actual example of government trying to limit the private citizen and it has not even gotten off the first page. We are distracted with inconsequential topics of a frivolous and superficial nature while more and more of our rights evaporate right under our noses.

Perhaps if he edited the title and added the word "Trump" he'd get more hits?

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Sadly, I think you are correct.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join