It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toys That Spy on Your Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
These Dolls Are Spying on Your Kids

And you thought because your kids were too young to use Google and you kept them away from TV that they were safe from advertising and the privacy-violating antics used by Google, right? Wrong. Consumer advocate groups are saying that some dolls being sold at the likes of Toys R Us and Walmart are recording what your child says and sending it to a database used to improve products being sold to the military, government and law enforcement agencies. Not only that, but one of the dolls has prerecorded phrases advertising to children.

Kids' Voices Recorded and Uploaded to Database that Uses Recordings to Improve Products It Sells to Military, Government and Law Enforcement.

The doll and robot are internet-connected toys that children can talk and interact with. When children ask the toys a question, the words are recorded and converted to text so answers can be retrieved from Google, Wikipedia and Weather Underground. These recorded words, phrases and conversations are also uploaded to Nuance, a voice technology.

The consumer groups allege that Nuance uses the recordings to improve the products it sells to military, government and law enforcement agencies. One particular product, Nuance Identifier, helps security officials search millions of recordings and identify criminals by the sound of their voices.

While Richard Mack, Nuance's vice president of corporate marketing and communications, said his company doesn't sell or use the voice data it collects for marketing or advertising purposes, Nuance is a secondary company the toy makers send the information to. And for what purpose? Supposedly to improve their products. However, the privacy policy for My Friend Cayla does not discuss how it collects, uses, or discloses data to third parties, according to the US complaint. Another toy, the I-Que Intelligent Robot requests access to the smartphone camera with which the toy is synced, without explanation or justification. Source.

Doll Subjects Young Children to Product Placements

The consumer watchdogs claim in the complaint that Genesis' My Friend Cayla doll subjects young children to Disney product placements.

"My Friend Cayla is pre-programmed with dozens of phrases that reference Disneyworld and Disney movies," the complaint reads. "For example, Cayla tells children that her favorite movie is Disney's 'The Little Mermaid' and her favorite song is 'Let it Go,' from Disney's 'Frozen.' Cayla also tells children she loves going to Disneyland and wants to go to Epcot in Disneyworld."

It's hard for kids to recognize this as advertising, the groups say.

The Cayla doll also has a mobile phone app that asks children to provide personal information, like their name and their parents' names, their favorite TV show, their favorite meal, where they go to school, their favorite toy and where they live.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: jackieisinlove

Ridiculous! The world has gone mad. I cant move much further into the sticks than I am, but Ill go to the ends of the earth ro protect my child from ruthless marketing, brain washing and lord knows what else.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

this is a level of evil deviousness only disney and advertising people could conceive

bill hicks put it very succinctly

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Hillarious, if not scarey...thanks for the vid.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

S&F

Creepy! Children are too young to know there is anything suspicious going on.

It wouldn't surprise me if the toys are spying.

More than 700 million phones, cars and other smart devices in the U.S. Sending Data to China, Analysts Say

Oops! Millions of US cellphones accidentally send private info to company in China

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

The sad thing is how hard it is to protect your child from it. I've been a long time member here and an even longer time lurker, but the veil over my eyes is STILL continuously being pulled back. I never would've imagined toys you can sync with your smartphone being this insidious, but I still never wanted my son having access to a bunch of toys that did stuff. Why? Imagination! I wanted him to have toys that didn't really do anything so he'd have to use his imagination. However, the stores are absolutely full of toys with all the bells and whistles and it's very hard to find "old fashioned toys" that don't have voices and flashing lights and things like that. After receiving many gifts of toys like that, my son soon would refuse to play with anything that didn't blink and whistle at him. It was rare that I could even get him to play with Playdough or Legos. Then I got divorced and lost even more control of what he was subjected to on some weekends away from me. He now has a tablet, is addicted to watching kids play on YouTube (rather than play himself), wants to play videogames all day and never even touches toys. He's so full of advertisements and political ideologies that I never taught him, it's unreal.
edit on 11-12-2016 by jackieisinlove because: Typo

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

That frightens the hell out of me. Im overjoyed as just as I read your post, my 6 year old turned off a tv show, grabbed a puzzle and joined mom and I in the library.

We have a small farm/homestead and raise organic free range chix, medicinal herbs and other foods...we are managing to hold on to some level of "normal" life as a result, and we teach our daughter via the online charter school option in our state...

It will get much more difficult to protect her as she grows older.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Consumer advocate groups are saying that some dolls being sold at the likes of Toys R Us and Walmart are recording what your child says and sending it to a database used to improve products being sold to the military, government and law enforcement agencies.

Your kids clamour for it, you bring it into the home 'for the kids', but really the devices spy on everyone in the home.

So do smart meters, smart phones, smart appliances, etc.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Let's not forget about Xbox Kinect. Microsoft is a PRISM partner, and probably the scariest partner of all next to Facebook.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The best toy a child can have is outside and books! Or at least that's what I was told

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Just more Big Brother hidden agenda garbage disguised as children's "toys." Cute.

Government voyeurism is what that is.

edit on 12-12-2016 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
They relaunched Furby Connects here in SA. The CIA and NSA had those banned in the US apparently because of recording sensitive info where their employees brought them to work. That was just a simple voice recorder. The new version is web connected, smartphone connected, looks up stuff off the net and can upload to the cloud out of the box. Any hacker worth his salt will have them fully programmed and modded enough to milk the owners life for password information and more by the end f the year...

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Even google applied for a patent in 2012 that would make use of such a device.

Google Patent

You can be certain that devices that connect to google are most probably also recording everything your kids and your family says. Any device that connects to the internet and activates with your voice can be used to spy on your children or your family.

Meanwhile most people are not doing criminal activities you have to remember that under the Obama administration if you have certain political views that do not agree with "left wing dogma" you are being labeled as an extremist. We have seen the extent that such views are being used these days to label people extremists even if you do not condone any violence or true racism but simply because you disagree with the "government mandated views".

top topics

join