It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Waste and Diamonds Make Batteries That Last 5,000 Years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zimnydran
I have to call BS on this one. The implications of a 5000 year battery goes beyond anything the world has ever seen. Space ships that can travel 5000 years...... Aircraft that never need to land.
People would lose jobs by the millions. Electic plants would close up one by one. Pensions and 401k plans would go bankrupt. Anything and anyone invested in energy , in any form would cease to exist.
With nobody protesting about pipelines and drilling..... the EPA would almost useless and all those people making a good living being part of it will find themselves out of work.
I'll believe it when Elon Musk orders an immediate changeover at the superduper battery plant. Cause if there was even the slightest chance that he could put out an electric car that runs forever on one charge....he would do it.

Lol, nope. The energy density is extremely low. But nice rant nonetheless...

Also, the amount of electricity generated by the diamond battery is very small, only about 15 joules to the gram. By comparison, a standard AA battery produces about 700 joules to the gram.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zimnydran
I have to call BS on this one. The implications of a 5000 year battery goes beyond anything the world has ever seen. Space ships that can travel 5000 years...... Aircraft that never need to land.
People would lose jobs by the millions. Electic plants would close up one by one. Pensions and 401k plans would go bankrupt. Anything and anyone invested in energy , in any form would cease to exist.
With nobody protesting about pipelines and drilling..... the EPA would almost useless and all those people making a good living being part of it will find themselves out of work.
I'll believe it when Elon Musk orders an immediate changeover at the superduper battery plant. Cause if there was even the slightest chance that he could put out an electric car that runs forever on one charge....he would do it.

Try reading the article before posting.

Also, the amount of electricity generated by the diamond battery is very small, only about 15 joules to the gram. By comparison, a standard AA battery produces about 700 joules to the gram.

edit: mobius beat me to it
edit on 11-12-2016 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Crystals could convert energy to a usable form. That sounds sensible. I am sure a quartz crystal could do the same thing or maybe some Chert. Now, loading up magnetite with energy might be interesting, it might be possible to increase it's magnetic properties if done right and be used to create motion. A fan that blows air for five thousand years using magnetic bearings might be nice.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

You know the cost for one battery would probably be outrageous. If they last that long, the battery manufactures wouldn't be able to stay in business? No repeat business.

Kind of like how the incandescent bulbs caved into LED's. Except this would be like LED bulbs on steroids.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
Done about two weeks ago here.

Indeed.

Thread closed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join