It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of Large Scale Lunar Photography, especially the far side.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Have been using Arizona State University Lunar Quickmap for study of the Lunar surface since with this website one can zoom into 20m per pixel of the near side. The Lunar far side is not available even though the Lunar mapping and photography obviously covers both sides. Large scale zoomable photograps of the lunar surface should be easily obtainable since the entire surface of the Moon has been mapped and photographed in large scale, high definition for decades.....but just try and get a large scale, detailed photo map of the linar far side...you will fine nothing. Google Moon Maps is not large scale...the Chinese Chang'e Missions were hopefully going to show us the much desired lunar mapping and photographs but were quickly made unavailable to the Public except in small scale versions.

Here is a good link to Arizona's Quickmap which is easy to use...however, around 40% of the near side lunar surface is blurred out or blacked out: target.lroc.asu.edu...

So, if anyone has access to any links for large scale Lunar photography which is interactive,especially of the far side, please post those links for us to use...thus far, I have found nothing even similar to the ASU Quickmap for the far side...but there's plenty to be found on the lunar surface if you crawl all over it using Quickmap....it seems even the censors cannot blur out or obsure everything.

And it bears repeating: Google Lunar Maps is NOT Large scale OR interactive...try out Quickmap to see what we are after.....

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: KeithCooper

Uh, it's generally dark back there. Hard to photograph ...

I only recently saw a picture of the dark side, we happened to have a satellite handy during an eclipse

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

around 40% of the near side lunar surface is blurred out or blacked out

Why do you suppose they have blurred or blacked out portions of the moon?

Secret moon base? Aliens caught changing a tire on a left behind moon buggy?

Seems odd to me

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The "Far side" isn't "dark" anymore than the near side is...it is just facing away from Earth...not the sun...

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07 No idea why we are not allowed access to ALL Lunar photography. We PAID and are PAYING for it...

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: KeithCooper
The "Far side" isn't "dark" anymore than the near side is...it is just facing away from Earth...not the sun...

Gets the prize.

moon and earth are tidally locked

To the thread. The scale of moon imaging isn't required for every inch of the surface at hi resolution.

Boring featureless plains. It would take us as long to review that file as it would to walk every inch of the surface.... ten life times.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I'm fairly certain that the alphabet soup (insert your choice here) government agencies have subsections within them dedicated to information suppression. It seems to me that they spend as much, if not more time redacting, blurring and blacking-out documents and other data, as they do collecting the data. Which makes you wounder - Why?

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: repairguyt
a reply to: tinner07

I'm fairly certain that the alphabet soup (insert your choice here) government agencies have subsections within them dedicated to information suppression. It seems to me that they spend as much, if not more time redacting, blurring and blacking-out documents and other data, as they do collecting the data. Which makes you wounder - Why?

I would like to put my application in to work at one of these information suppression agencies.....they get to see all the cool stuff

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: repairguyt

So you get some agency to blur out random , non descript portions of moon photos to keep people wondering whats going on there,...to keep them from looking at what is going on here???

I wouldnt put past them.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity, do any of the photos show any man made space stuff we have left behind?

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

I would like to put my application in to work at one of these information suppression agencies.....they get to see all the cool stuff

Thats what I was thinking too. I wonder if they advertise a job opening?

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
Just out of curiosity, do any of the photos show any man made space stuff we have left behind?

Behold!

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

What are you talking about?

Do you even know how to use the Quick Map site? Apparently not.

You can change the map from showing only the Near Side to showing all of the moon. You can turn off and on sun light for it, and zoom in and out of any place you want on the map:

You can even make it to where it shows just the Far Side if you want:

You can then zoom in pretty good, up to 0.5m per pixel.

So what is it you are going on about?

edit on 12/11/2016 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Yep. Uncheck "Sunlit area." Click the globe. Select Farside. Boom. Far side of the moon, zoomable and clear.
Awesome.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Behold!

That is pretty cool. I guess I just assumed that with technology we have today, taking pictures of nebulas and such, that would could just point and shoot and get a clear picture of the moon car.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: Bedlam

Behold!

That is pretty cool. I guess I just assumed that with technology we have today, taking pictures of nebulas and such, that would could just point and shoot and get a clear picture of the moon car.

There's a problem. Physics sets a limit on the maximum information transfer through a lens, based on the aperture and the wavelength of light used to image with. Beyond that you cannot go with a classic lensing system. Even if you have the world's most perfect lens in the world's most perfect telescope, you can't just zoom in until you see footprints on the Moon, due to diffraction effects. Lenses and mirrors have edges and don't extend to infinity, and that sets a diffraction limit on what can be imaged.

So when you hear someone tell you that They® can read the dates off of coins on the ground, that's purest bullcrap.

Here's a long winded explanation

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Hey, thanks for clearing that up for me....been crawling around on the near side for a year.....

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Hi Keith, glad you're able to access the farside maps now (rather well hidden), as for the blurred/blacked out segments it is often due to a certain set taking over an area even when higher resolution imagery is available. This can be fixed by dragging a map series below/above other maps and altering which imagery to use until your working area is... working.

For instance (might not be easily visible on ats, r-click and open image in new window if you would like to see settings/map order)-
Before with default map settings. Notice some areas are very low resolution and blurry and useless for any serious magnification.

Tada! we now have full resolution imagery where we previously didn't

Maximum magnification before

Maximum magnification after

Playing around between NACs Large, Medium and Small Incidence will often be enough to find better maps (while disabling WAC mosaic + NAC ) but there are many more options to explore if an area still requires a little more detail.

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: KeithCooper
Have been using Arizona State University Lunar Quickmap for study of the Lunar surface since with this website one can zoom into 20m per pixel of the near side. The Lunar far side is not available even though the Lunar mapping and photography obviously covers both sides. Large scale zoomable photograps of the lunar surface should be easily obtainable since the entire surface of the Moon has been mapped and photographed in large scale, high definition for decades.....but just try and get a large scale, detailed photo map of the linar far side...you will fine nothing. Google Moon Maps is not large scale...the Chinese Chang'e Missions were hopefully going to show us the much desired lunar mapping and photographs but were quickly made unavailable to the Public except in small scale versions.

Here is a good link to Arizona's Quickmap which is easy to use...however, around 40% of the near side lunar surface is blurred out or blacked out: target.lroc.asu.edu...

So, if anyone has access to any links for large scale Lunar photography which is interactive,especially of the far side, please post those links for us to use...thus far, I have found nothing even similar to the ASU Quickmap for the far side...but there's plenty to be found on the lunar surface if you crawl all over it using Quickmap....it seems even the censors cannot blur out or obsure everything.

And it bears repeating: Google Lunar Maps is NOT Large scale OR interactive...try out Quickmap to see what we are after.....

Yes, they're hiding something. Even today as NASA orbits the moon continuously, and put high definition cameras on Mars rovers, all we get are low-res photos that are often edited not only to hide stuff but also to screw with your heads. I no longer look to NASA for intriguing and fascinating finds because I know they'll hide the best parts. Good though to take a look and get an ambiguous general idea of what it looks like up there but don't ever get your hopes up.
edit on 13-4-2022 by SeriouslyDeep because: (no reason given)

top topics

join