It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celestial Mechanical Clock and Orrery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
My housemate has a grandfather clock for sale in the classifieds. A man came to look at it last night. He did not buy it, but told us a lot about how it worked. He also showed us a video of a clock he made on YouTube. He is apparently, Chris J of Chris J's Clockworx on YouTunbe. It is one of the most fantastic things I have ever seen.

This is from the Clayton Boyer Clock Designs the plans come from:

The Celestial Mechanical Calendar shows the day of the week, day of the month and the month. In addition, she indicates the Zodiac Sun Sign and New Moon Ascension sign, has a MoonPhase Ball that indicates a nearly exact reflection of what the actual moon is doing in the night sky. She also has a Full Moon Ascension Window, and an Orrery showing the synodic rotations of the three closest planets, Mercury, Venus and Mars and indicates when they go into retrograde. The Celestial Mechanical Calendar also knows if the month has 28, 30 or 31 days and advances herself automatically. All of this with just the throw of a lever each day

I mentioned he would make a fortune selling it, he said he had spent a fortune making it and he might keep it for himself. I probably would too!
edit on 10-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This is a fantastic creation. I would be interested in what the materials are he used, and whether CNC or 3-D printing was used in the construction. I agree that it should be kept and not sold. I could not imagine anyone having as much appreciation for it than the person that made it.

Perhaps, if detailed plans were kept, it could be produced as plan set or a complete kit!
edit on 10-12-2016 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

edit on 10-12-2016 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

No 3d printing, I don't think. I know he works with wood a lot, but I am not sure what exactly this is made of.

I think plans are available from the designer of the plans.

edit on 10-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

From ChrisJ'sClockworx: "To add to it, it is entirely out of wood and brass, and I had around 6 weeks of weekend construction time into her. She isn't 3d printed, some was cnc cut and some was cut by hand."

top topics

join