It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Santa Pays $46k in Layaways at PA Wal Mart

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Oh, sorry I missed your post earlier.
Nope, you must remember that T&C's decree we discuss the topic not perceptions of members characteristics.

*edit*
I believe that feeding hungry people is a better use of 46 grand than paying off layaways at Walmart for 194 people.
If you disagree cool, then debate without the emotion, childlike Grinch comments, or reference to my previous posting history.
That is irrelevant and off topic.

edit on 10.12.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yeah okay.
Average of 200+ dollars per 194 layaway, we can only imagine.
Food is still more important to hungry people using food banks in that particular PA region though.
Perhaps you disagree about that?

If this was our tax money I would agree completely.
This is one individuals money that they used how they wanted to use it.
We have no clue why they chose this method.
No is it really any of our business.

On a personal note my wife always gives to a needy family through her employer at Christmas time.
She also takes food to her churches food pantry every month. I would not be surprised if this person does the same.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
There are so many ways to look at this!
So much negativity from people who don't look at all sides of it, or have never been there!
Someone laying away Christmas gifts, most likely isn't going to be going overboard & putting things away that they don't know how they will pay for when they pick them up! They may have gotten good deals on things on Black Friday even.

They are probably scrimping on other bills & buying mac & cheese or ramen noodles hoping to be able to pay it off by the last pickup date.
People who use layaway probably can't get a credit card or don't want to run up debt. Anyone in really bad shape, probably already gets food stamps & qualifies for the food bank. It's the working poor who fall through the cracks & don't qualify for any help, who struggle the most this time of year. There are all kinds of programs for people who qualify for other aid. Toys for Tots, Winter Bundle Up, etc.

By having it paid for, they now will have some extra money for food or other necessities. Plus, so much stress is relieved, that it gives 197 people a whole new outlook on Christmas!
It's the whole ripple effect!

Our kids were little in the 80's when so many people in our small manufacturing town were laid off at the same time. This would have been awesome! Do kids still take things to school for show & tell after Christmas? Just kids talking about what Santa brought them can be heartbreaking for some kids.

I think this Secret Santa probably grew up in the 80's or had little kids then & knows how it feels!
It's all in the perspective! Just like that starfish story. You can't save them all, but you can make a difference for some!

Merry Christmas!
WOQ

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

We are mostly in agreement then.
The only difference is I feel it is anyone's business to comment or question any topic posted on a discussion forum.

I think the 46 grand was wasted.
Nowhere have I questioned the integrity or intent of the benefactor, just the choice they made.

Lots of butt hurt people can't keep their emotions out of the debate though.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

You say the money was wasted, I say you're wrong.
Good debate.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I don't go to Wal Mart I hate the place it's just creepy people buying junk and junk food. Now if I had $46k to give away I wouldn't I would buy me a new shiny thing of some sort. Being nice is way over rated as you've pointed out.

I would buy beer too. Greenbush Traktor. Lots of it!!
edit on 10-12-2016 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

The equivalent of 4600 hungry people who could have ten dollars worth of food compared to 194 people getting their Walmart loyalty paid off?
I disagree, I'd feed the hungry first.
Feel free to describe your objections to my example, and why.
That is of course what debate is about.

...not posting childlike Grinch you tube's.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'd go with feeding the hungry, myself. That's a bigger problem. Or housing the homeless.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Yep I considered homeless as well but a member cast them as drug addicts to deflect the discussion, so I focused on generic hungry people instead.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

You are free to give your money to the homeless.
No objections.
Don't think anybody has said otherwise.

Sorry that the person in the story doesn't live up to your standards of charity.

Even though you don't have any idea what other charities if any they have contributed too.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Does my opinion cause you emotional trauma or something?
I couldn't give a toss what the benefactor contributes elsewhere, many more hungry people could have been helped with that 46 grand.
On that point please provide a reasoned argument to dispute that.
Crying that I'm not gushing love for the benefactor is irrelevant to the discussion.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I volunteered at a homeless shelter while in college in the early 90's.
From my personal experience about 9 out of 10 people in that place were there because of their own choices. Drugs and alcohol were the most common reason.
A few had mental illnesses that we tried to get them help.

So from my own experiences I would rather help a poor kid have a nice Christmas.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

That is why I focused on generic hungry people using food banks in that area of PA instead.
It removes the sidetrack of life choices.
Or perhaps you may believe food bank users are mostly there through life choices?

My point stands, I could have made a massively more beneficial difference to many more people's lives with that 46k than the benefactor in the OP.

And yes, I judge and criticise the decision as I freely can.
I've got a couple of mates who can easily miss 46k in £ GBP, and if either suggested paying off layaways I'd strongly advocate that they had second thoughts.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: reldra

I've managed to watch the video now and really I'm surprised at the immature lack of debate from your good self.

This is not really a debate thread. Person does nice thing during the holidays. That's it. You can do whatever nice thing you want to do or nothing. I find your irritation at this amusing.

edit on 10-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Yes it is a debate thread. You posted in ATS Current Events.
If you wanted a mutual agreement love-in then you would have been better advised to have posted in BTS General Chat or the shed lol.

Unlucky, I'm debating against the sentiments in the OP so if you disagree then address my points instead of posting Grinch songs like a pre-teen would on Facebook.

Oh and sorry to disappoint you but I am in no way irritated, I'm actually entertained engaging with the butt hurt in this thread who struggle with rational debate.

Post in the shed if you don't want alternative argument in debate...you'll never see me there lol

*edit*
...crickets...crickets
Don't post on ATS if you don't want alternative reasoned opinions posted which may counter your own.
And your Grinch song with no posted opinion kind of let yourself down earlier.
This is not Facebook.
edit on 10.12.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
May the universe bless that person

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join