It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Weird Complaints Did Your Parents Make About You?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'm sure all of us have suffered complaints by our parents, I'm guessing me more than most, but has anyone's parent ever had a truly bizarre complaint to make about them?

My mother could dredge up old stories about me at the drop of a hat. Friends, neighbours, family, complete strangers would be regaled with these tales of my mis-deeds, with me standing right there, up until my teens when I made my escape.

The oddest complaint came about from me 'playing up' as a toddler. She'd been walking along the street with me and I'd been causing her some difficulty, slowing her down. The upshot was that we'd rounded a corner just in time to miss seeing a car crash.

How deprived my mother felt. If not for me she would have been witness to all the drama and excitement. She'd tell people this story expecting them to sympathise with her disappointment and disapprove of me for being naughty.

Well... what sort of mother would want her kid to witness a car accident? I'd been with her after all and would have seen it too. I could have been traumatised for life.

Now, I'm not saying there were bodies and gore strewn everywhere. Mater never mentioned anything like that. It was probably just a sleepy town prang with a couple of dented bonnets (I hope), even so to complain about it in front of me up until I was about fifteen years old seems a bit excessive to me. Talk about holding a grudge.

I like to think I was dawdling because I knew something nasty was imminent and I didn't want to see it.

So, were you lot such little angels that your parents had nary a complaint about you or did you give them good grounds?
edit on 10-12-2016 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

My mom always brings up a story about me being very young (toddler approx.) and she tried to spank me--she burst a blood vessel in her hand--she never tried to spank me again

She acts like I left her arm crippled, but she had it coming!

edit on 10-12-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Buns of steel, eh?

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

My mother told me I need to have more pride. I have always been very open. Never afraid to reveal the truth.

To this day i am open and honest. But i would have to say that is to a point. Think we all may have a few truths in their life we don't want to reveal.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
When I was a teen, my mother complained that I did not rebel against authority and rules as 'normal" kids do.
She got me into therapy with a colleague of theirs who would do these exercises like make me yell out loudly "NO".
I remember people kept trying to come look into the room to see what was going on and if they needed to intervene.
It was humiliating.

Now, I think my mother was just so set on hating me, even not being a problem was turned into some sort of a problem.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   

I didn't play well with others as a child.

I didn't play well with others as a teen.

As an adult, I didn't play well with others.

No, as an elderly gent, I still don't play well with others.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yes, but you're a Fun curmudgeonly old bloke.

eta - now that's T&C friendly.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Being born of a Virgin sort of bothered my father a lot.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn
a reply to: Bluesma

It's interesting to try and draw some parallels between your experiences.

On the one had we have an open, perhaps less than discreet sometimes, young person and on the other a well-behaved, compliant (?) one.

Both unsatisfactory to their mothers due to their behaviour. Did the mothers think they had failed in some way in their efforts to raise their children correctly? Did they feel a mirror was being held up and they found themselves wanting?

Perhaps it was more to do with hammering at square pegs to get them to fit into society's round holes?

It's hard sometimes for a person to think that their parents are harsh out of love and not just out of a desire to repress.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

On the bright side, he could have been born of a well known non-virgin (aka the town bike).

I bet that would have bothered him a lot more.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

What? He wouldn't be bothered?

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
My father (BLESS HIM) complained to my mother that I was a stick of dynamite! Whatever did he mean and whatever made him say that.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Anyone with common sense would have found that highly bothersome yeah.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Because in order to have you he had to bang 'er?

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
My mom doesn't criticize me, and hasn't for a long time.

My step dad used to struggle to "get me". I apparently didn't act or react in ways he was accustomed to. I think its a common thing here on ATS...people who have varying degrees of social awkwardness that can come across as eccentric in one way or another. As i've gotten older I just interact less so there is less anxiety from being a little different.

Anyway, my step dad used to make comments about mundane things. He wasn't negative or hard to get along with. He was a good man. He just didn't always understand me. I wasn't the kind of kid you molded.

My grandmother, on the other hand, was crazy as a march hare. My poor grandfather. She said all sorts of insane things. Towards the end of her life, after my uncle had a motorcycle wreck, my wife (who is very obviously latina) and I were going to visit him in the hospital. As we approached the waiting room, my grandmother came up to us and said, "Thank God the 2 of you are here, I was about to get run out of there by Mexicans!"

She grew up in south El Paso, grinding her own masa for supper. LOL. My wife and I laugh about that quite a bit. She was about as batty as you can be while still having a drivers license. My poor grandfather.
edit on 12/10/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Because in order to have you he had to bang 'er?

How perceptive of you!

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
a reply to: liveandlearn

It's interesting to try and draw some parallels between your experiences.

On the one had we have an open, perhaps less than discreet sometimes, young person and on the other a well-behaved, compliant (?) one.

Both unsatisfactory to their mothers due to their behaviour. Did the mothers think they had failed in some way in their efforts to raise their children correctly? Did they feel a mirror was being held up and they found themselves wanting?

Perhaps it was more to do with hammering at square pegs to get them to fit into society's round holes?

It's hard sometimes for a person to think that their parents are harsh out of love and not just out of a desire to repress.

Well, I think our "problems" are related- my mother felt I was lacking in character, by being "too nice" all the time. I think she worried I would not be aggressive enough to make it in the world. She saw me as weak.... the same judgement she made of her mother who she didn't respect. Her father was a narcissistic abusive a-hole. So naturally, she saw him as strong and identified with him and tried to emulate him.

With her fourth child, (my half brother) she changed strategies completely, feeling the neglect method wasn't effective with me, and she was successful. He has narcissistic personality disorder, and is meth addict who lives on the street and in prison, alternatively.

I think she saw the world in black and white- you either crush or get crushed , so it might have been a form of concern for me. She didn't see the possibility of alternative forms of power- like the Capricorn way of being powerful in a quiet, self disciplined, and long term way. I do okay in the world, but I think it is important to not waste energy in blustery shows of aggressivity. I often have people underestimate me, but only ones who are not very sensitive to detail and who rely on superficial appearences . There's always some people who pick up on my strength right away. It's a good filtering mechanism- I don't much want to hang out or work with superficial blustery people anyway.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   

I agree with that style.

Im not a fan of alphas. At all. I prefer a more reserved approach to life. If i always shove my way to the front I'll always win....and will never be able to face myself while lying awake thinking at night.

I think humility tends to be a winning approach.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Heh,mine was cut your hair,You look like a bum.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join