It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to develop mobile/mini games, incremental/idle perhaps!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
So I'm learning how to use Unity, and I have a love for incremental games, but believe that while the market has plenty of games, plenty of players, I could do quite well myself. I believe I have the creativity and know-how to create a game that's addicting and just draws you in.

Prestige/bonus system seems well liked.
Alternate currencies - Say gold/dollars to start, then diamonds, crystals, etc as currency later on might be good.
Exponential gameplay seems to be popular - Earning 10000x what you were earning yesterday, somehow draws people in more than a slow grind usually.

That being said, I definitely want suggestions to add onto these ideas!

What feature of such games do you like the most?

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope
Hi there, me and my friends have been developing for some time now and if I could recommend anything, it would be to mimic sucsessful games (rewards, increments, prices, delivery of said rewards and prizes). This seems to be a big part of the "hook". A cute sort of theme for the game would also help alot. Dont do one element better or more cool than others or it will point out how less effort was put into other elements; be consistant.

I would recommend studying Subway Surfers (I know its an old game but their whole system of before mentioned things is brilliant for getting you hooked).

Also, make sure you utilize social media as mutch as possible.

Its a lonesome road starting developing, you have to more or less teach yourself how to best do things, and people arent usually sharing "how to" in the long run, just bits and pieces here and there (probably cuz they feel like others must earn their knowladge like they did).

Anyways, hope this helps.

Regards,

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: eirgud

Subway surfers, maybe one day. That does involve a lot of moving pieces, but infinite games where you dodge obstacles is quite popular in general - Temple Run, Subway Surfer and what not.

My line of thinking is closer to games like Cookie clicker, Adventure Capitalist, Realm Grinder (PC), and the like. While games like Candy Crush, and Farm/city sims are more popular, these other types are more down my line of thinking - Mostly math with a little art.

Thank you for your post, though! I definitely plan on branching out as I get more skilled.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Ok, I see what type of games you are talking about. I myself got hooked on "Clicker heroes".

I pointed at Subway Surfers, not because of the gameplay necessarily, but because of the reward system they use and how they tie it to the money sink in the game. This system seems to very often be the key to getting players hooked (this does not exectly relate to the type of game being offerred). Players are more being hooked on the "economic system" of the games.

You know, you can get "gold" to buy "stuff". Some stuff can only be obtained through "chests", witch can be won in-game or purchased with in-game money in some sort of store. But there is more, you can also get "gems", witch can sometimes be found in-game or in boxes. "gems" are needed to buy "cooler stuff". The game of hunting this "stuff" and "gems" is almost like a "game within a game" and is almost as important to your (mobile) game success [money wise] as the game itself.

If you already got that, my apologies.

Good luck in your development endeavours!

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: eirgud

Great suggestion! While it's something I'm familiar with, it's not something I thought about much but will definitely give some thought to as the "Game within a game" has a ring to it I really like, and seems like a really good way to make a game more popular.

Clicker heroes is pretty cool! I got into it as well.

new topics

top topics

join