It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret CIA assessment says Russia was trying to help Trump win White House

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

In a story published about an hour ago on The Washington Post's website — citing "officials briefed on the matter" — it's being reported that the CIA briefed Congressional leaders last week and in their assessment, the CIA has concluded that not only were agents of the Russian government behind the DNC emails hacks but that the primary purpose was to influence the election in favor of President-elect Trump.

Furthermore, the authors' sources state that this was the latest closed-door briefing in a series of briefings going back to September and that a bipartisan "gang of 12" was convened by the Obama administration to evaulate the intelligence reports and give their advice as to whether the administration should formally name the Russians as the responsible party.

I don't agree with any outside forces trying to undermine or manipulate elections. Before people on here get too self righteous, the US has a history of doing just that in many countries going back to the 50's at least.
edit on Sat Dec 10 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Quote Crash Course

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

If I got this correctly, Russia influenced the US elections by hacking the democratic party and exposing the truth about them?

In a world of information overload, selective leaking is the new propaganda tool.

Can you imagine what the RNC and Trump Campaign emails would have disclosed?

Did Russia directly influence the elections?

That is a question that should be asked and investigated...is it not?

Is it acceptable that the Russians might have indirectly influenced the USA election?

This isn't about Clinton any longer...she is over....this is about the United States of America's electoral process...we need to objectively and honestly address this now or cede future elections to Russian influence.

The thinking that "our guy benefited and got elected...so lets look the other way"...Is SHORT SIGHTED...and a little scary to be honest. We can examine this thoroughly and acknowledge reality hand in hand with moving forward with a Trump Presidency...anything less risks the next election, when maybe "your guy" will be the target of Russia
edit on 10-12-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: theantediluvian

In a story published about an hour ago on The Washington Post's website — citing "officials briefed on the matter" — it's being reported that the CIA briefed Congressional leaders last week and in their assessment, the CIA has concluded that not only were agents of the Russian government behind the DNC emails hacks but that the primary purpose was to influence the election in favor of President-elect Trump.

Furthermore, the authors' sources state that this was the latest closed-door briefing in a series of briefings going back to September and that a bipartisan "gang of 12" was convened by the Obama administration to evaulate the intelligence reports and give their advice as to whether the administration should formally name the Russians as the responsible party.

Intelligence agencies have identified individuals with connections to the Russian government who provided WikiLeaks with thousands of hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee and others, including Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman, according to U.S. officials. Those officials described the individuals as actors known to the intelligence community and part of a wider Russian operation to boost Trump and hurt Clinton’s chances.

“It is the assessment of the intelligence community that Russia’s goal here was to favor one candidate over the other, to help Trump get elected,” said a senior U.S. official briefed on an intelligence presentation made to U.S. senators. “That’s the consensus view.”

The CIA shared its latest assessment with key senators in a closed-door briefing on Capitol Hill last week, in which agency officials cited a growing body of intelligence from multiple sources. Agency briefers told the senators it was now “quite clear” that electing Trump was Russia’s goal, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence matters.

The CIA presentation to senators about Russia’s intentions fell short of a formal U.S. assessment produced by all 17 intelligence agencies. A senior U.S. official said there were minor disagreements among intelligence officials about the agency’s assessment, in part because some questions remain unanswered.

For example, intelligence agencies do not have specific intelligence showing officials in the Kremlin “directing” the identified individuals to pass the Democratic emails to WikiLeaks, a second senior U.S. official said. Those actors, according to the official, were “one step” removed from the Russian government, rather than government employees. Moscow has in the past used middlemen to participate in sensitive intelligence operations so it has plausible deniability.

The Democrats were unanimous in their opinion that the White House should act, there was a split among the Republicans with at least two of them opposing any effort to name Russia — one of them being Mitch McConnell.

According to several officials, McConnell raised doubts about the underlying intelligence and made clear to the administration that he would consider any effort by the White House to challenge the Russians publicly an act of partisan politics.

Some of the Republicans in the briefing also seemed opposed to the idea of going public with such explosive allegations in the final stages of an election, a move that they argued would only rattle public confidence and play into Moscow’s hands.

McConnell’s office did not respond to a request for comment. After the election, Trump chose McConnell’s wife, Elaine Chao, as his nominee for transportation secretary.

The article also quotes Nunes, who I believe it would be safe to assume was likely a part of any secret briefings, calling the evidence circumstantial:

Some key Republican lawmakers have continued to question the quality of evidence supporting Russian involvement.

“I’ll be the first one to come out and point at Russia if there’s clear evidence, but there is no clear evidence — even now,” said Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee and a member of the Trump transition team. “There’s a lot of innuendo, lots of circumstantial evidence, that’s it.”

It would seem that Democrats in Congress aren't thrilled with President Obama's response and that it's portions of the latest CIA assessment that seven Democratic Congressmen are urging the administration to release to the public.

So we've got three WaPo journalists on the byline and they're claiming multiple sources. The White House and CIA declined to comment, President-elect Trump's transition team and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell's office didn't respond to requests for comments. They quoted Rep. Adam Schiff (ranking Dem on HIC) though:

"The administration has all the tools it needs to respond. They have the ability to impose sanctions. They have the ability to take clandestine means. The administration has decided not to utilize them in a way that would deter the Russians, and I think that’s a problem."

I think it's safe to say that this all happened. Should the White House have disregarded dissenting Republicans? The election is over, should we hear what the CIA assessment is? Will the investigation continue under the incoming Trump admin?

EDIT:

Added image to top from related USA Today article because... pictures.
I don't agree with any outside forces trying to undermine or manipulate elections. Before people on here get too self righteous, the US has a history of doing just that in many countries going back to the 50's at least.

With the USA influencing other countries elections in the past...Crappy and if we want to bitch about it ...lets bitch about or demand legislation banning those practices from the CIA.

BUT that is a seperate issue from Russian actively doing it NOW to the United States...Should we be OK with it?..just hells to the no.
edit on 10-12-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Before people on here get too self righteous, the US has a history of doing just that in many countries going back to the 50's at least.

Too self-righteous? Well that's ok, because it only takes a wee little bit of self-righteous to wanna rip trumputin a new one. I can spare it.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
a reply to: Indigo5

Or Jeil Storm backed by Soros / Clinton demanding a recount with NO proof of election hacking.

By the why, were is the outrage over Soros trying to buy elections?

Different topic...You want an investigation into Soros...go for it..I think any investigation that examines actual evidence objectively and thoroughly is GOOD.

Now explain to me why you want to discount or ignore the CLEAR MOUNTAIN OF EVIDENCE tracing the DNC hack to Russian FSB.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

In a world of information overload, selective leaking is the new propaganda tool.

Nothing new about fake news, the CIA has been doing this for over 40 decades.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I wouldn't be mad at Russia if they indeed did this.

Russia seems like it wants to avoid war and conflict with the US (Putin even said so in many public appearances).
Clinton would be worse than Obama and Trump was their only chance at peace.

I would do the same as Russia if it meant avoiding a possible future nuclear war.

But, at this point, I feel that Russia may now use Trump as a way to gain an upper hand on the US to ensure that the US isn't much of a threat in the future. It wouldn't allow itself to be "bullied" any further. I also feel like Trump should still maintain some authority so that Russia doesn't get rid of the US's foreign influence around the world, and an upper hand.
For example, Trump stated numerous times during his campaign that he wants some of our allies to pay in order for us to protect them/be allied with them. Russia could exploit this by offering those allies free protection.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Hard to believe Russia would go all the way and hack us, but they went into Crimea and put everyone at gun point to pass a referendum didn't they?

www.bbc.com - Is Crimea's referendum legal?

Military observers from the OSCE have already been blocked from entering Crimea - on 8 March, shots were fired by pro-Russian troops.

Russia plans to send 24 MPs to observe the referendum and eight election officials to oversee the vote.

How comfortable would you be if pro-russian troops have occupied your city? Russia formally planned to send 24 MP's to the referendum too.

In all honesty the Comey announcement affected my vote more. I never planned on voting for Trump, but voting for Hillary? Changed to Gary. I also already believed Russia was behind the email releases. Remember Hillary during the debate brought up the following (this was Novemember 25):
www.usatoday.com - Yes, 17 intelligence agencies really did say Russia was behind hacking...
edit on 12/10/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I've been reading up on Aleksandr Gelyevich Dugin .

Seems, besides being a Russian Political Scientist, he's also an extreme Fundamentalist End of the World Christian.

Which is interesting in that I've been reading up on Putin, who has been becoming more and more religious over time.

Russian has been embracing Fundamental Christianity - - with Putin's blessing.

This feels like Dominionism.

How the N.W.O. Scientific Theocracy will be Implemented in the US: www.abovetopsecret.com...

EDIT: this particular Dominionism thread is from 2010. It's just the first I grabbed as an example. There are other threads on Dominionism.

edit on 10-12-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
LOL at the CIA and Obama..... The CIA is in fear of loosing their jobs and Obama losing his fake legacy.

So they blame the Russians to save their carrier, they are using back up plan C that some idiot thought up. What a joke if they think the majority of people buy this silly crap.

Unbelievable Funny!
edit on 10-12-2016 by imitator because: ADHD

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
LOL at the CIA and Obama..... The CIA is in fear of loosing their jobs and Obama losing his fake legacy.

So they blame the Russians to save their carrier, they are using back up plan C that some idiot thought up. What joke if they think the majority of people buy this silly crap.

Unbelievable Funny!

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

"The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know"

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The reason it's so funny... next time they will not blame the Russians.... they will blame it on Aliens.

The CIA and Obama are being pathetic liars, that anyone can see....
that it is... Next Level BS Fake News//// LOL

The CIA and Obama should go and find a new carrier in the funny fake tabloids.

edit on 10-12-2016 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It would not surprise me that it would take another powerful nation to expose the corruption in our government. Should we thank Putin for it? It would not surprise me if Trump has an agenda of his own, as I am sure every politician does. He is by far better for America than any of the one's running would have been.

With that said, thanks for posting this. Maybe ATS can get back to it roots and start digging up more on this and see what comes of it.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

Thank Putin when he exposes both sides, not just dems.

And then when he exposes countries other than NATO.

Til then it's too one-sided.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

edit on 854Saturday000000America/ChicagoDec000000SaturdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
He (Putin) is by far better for America than any of the one's running would have been.

Please enlighten us on your expertise of Putin.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I don't want to sway the thread, but when Dots Start Connecting.

Dominionist: God Has Anointed Trump for President

Trump Praying Among the gaggle of Christian leaders at that ridiculous meeting with Donald Trump where they laid hands on him and prayed over him as he tried not to look too bored was Lance Wallnau, an advocate of Seven Mountains Dominionism.

Wallnau has since then gone all-in for Trump, declaring that God has “given this man an anointing for the mantle of government in the United States.”

Today, we discovered that Lance Wallnau was among those who participated in this meeting and that he came away very impressed, declaring that “Donald Trump is more prophetic than people think. There is a Cyrus anointing on this man. He is like a Reformer in secular garb.”… www.patheos.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule
a reply to: 3daysgone

Thank Putin when he exposes both sides, not just dems.

And then when he exposes countries other than NATO.

Til then it's too one-sided.

One Sided.

Just like Wikileaks.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: theantediluvian

When is Putin up for reelection, or did he do away with elections and crowned himself dictator? If there are still elections in Russia it's time for American internet trolls to do their best to sway that #. Although, if there are elections there I'm sure they are rigged but worth a shot.

They don't have "real" elections in Russia.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

CIA uses human intelligence (spies) to gather information. Did they capture him?

NSA would be the ones to blowing a whistle on Russians hackers. They are what protects our elections from cyber attacks, no? Last I hear they speak for themselves and their own respected Agency, with respective purposes.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Lets spin it the other way:

"Russia STOPS the Democrats using dirty tactics (like hacked machines) and allows for a fair election to take place"

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join