It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political: Acumen vs. Correctness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
a reply to: introvert

You prefer to believe it is the minority liberal attitude. I see otherwise. You are entitled to your view and I leave you to it. I have to believe my own eyes.

Indeed. Confirmation bias.

Your own source makes a specific distinction and you completely dismiss it.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

"Some people"? Some people also believe that the Earth is flat, we have reptilian overlords, sniffing paint thinners is a legit practice, and that Obama is the AntiChrist. In a country of 320+ million people, there's always bound to be someone with "controversial" views. But that doesn't mean their opinions represent anything more than a small sliver of their respective demographics.

That's why it's deceiving to attack an entire demographic for the perspectives of their fringes. Ironically, you're even complaining about that same thing when you point out the people on our fringe that label you with all of those arbitrary labels ("racist", "misogynist", etc).

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

I like that blue people/green people example. I might have to borrow it for future discussions.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

That might be true, and a straw man, if the OP didn't state this in his first paragraph.

President elect Trump is in the process of selecting his cabinet appointees. It is no secret that the left thinks his choices are bad - for a variety of reasons. In this thread my goal is to address one of the more acidic: Political Correctness.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I get your point but I disagree. People come to this country for opportunity.

Yes, you're right.

But, not everybody here has come to this country.

Many are born right here.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

There is a problem with the blue/green example. Sorry, it was several years ago and I saw it on television so no, I don't have a link to it. But, there were two people discussing race and skin color, one black one white. The white person said something along the lines of the blue/green comparison. "I don't care if you are white, black, or purple. I treat all people the same." That seemed like a reasonable thing to say. The black woman jumped all over her for it. "Martians are purple. You are comparing black people to martians. Now we aren't even from the same planet as you..."

If someone wants to find fault in you - they will.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

That might be true, and a straw man, if the OP didn't state this in his first paragraph.

President elect Trump is in the process of selecting his cabinet appointees. It is no secret that the left thinks his choices are bad - for a variety of reasons. In this thread my goal is to address one of the more acidic: Political Correctness.

Thank you. I pointed that out a second time, but again, it was missed or more likely ignored.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I don't dismiss it. But like you, I prefer to think that distinction is a very slim minority compared to the more common theme.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

My statement was not exclusive to immigrants. I believe the people born here are also aware of the opportunities available to them. The air is getting a bit thin...

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

My statement was not exclusive to immigrants. I believe the people born here are also aware of the opportunities available to them. The air is getting a bit thin...

Strange then, that the first recognizable African American that became President had to grow up outside America, in a foreign land like Indonesia.

Obviously, President Obama shares your view, that the opportunities are available. But, he had to go out of the United States, and practically return as a "Foreign Student" to be able to see things this way, just like all immigrants do.

posted on Dec, 11 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Now you are stretching it far too thin. You have no evidence suggesting obama would not have seen the same opportunities had he stayed in the US. It is just convenient for you to believe that is the case.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join