It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of Georgia accuses Homeland Security of attempted hack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The Georgia Secretary of State has written a letter the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Apparently the Georgia State database detected a hack attempt and an IP address traced back to the DHS of all places !!

This could be embarrassing indeed.

Why would the DHS be snooping around any State's databases ?

State of Georgia accuses Homeland Security of attempted hack

Georgia's Secretary of State is accusing someone at the Department of Homeland Security of illegally trying to hack its computer network, including the voter registration database.

In a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson, copied to the full Georgia congressional delegation, Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp alleges that a computer with a DHS internet address attempted to breach its systems.

Kemp writes: "On November 15, 2016, an IP address associated with the Department of Homeland Security made an unsuccessful attempt to penetrate the Georgia Secretary of State's firewall. I am writing you to ask whether DHS was aware of this attempt and, if so, why DHS was attempting to breach our firewall."

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Fshhhh. Right. Don't you know anything Xuen?!?! When the government hacks you it's called an investigation. When you hack the government, it is a crime.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Who would want to hack Georgia? That is a more important question.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Unlike many other states, Georgia notably turned down voluntary assistance from Homeland Security to shore up election systems.

Pretty curious, no?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
cant ip addresses be spoofed? And cant you use programs to make it look like its coming from somewhere else?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Just my opinion, but I think it's the federal government being slimy, intrusive and police-statish.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
cant ip addresses be spoofed? And cant you use programs to make it look like its coming from somewhere else?

Only if you don't want the returned data.

Or a proxy open to hackers run by the DHS? Who only knows what's up.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I'm sure DHS will say they were routinely checking the cyber security of State networks and databases. Which I think is the type of stuff DHS should be doing.

I'm a little torn on this one.

I don't like the idea of Fed Govt. interfering with States, but if we have to have a DHS this seems like it should fall into their lane.

I guess it depends what exactly they were trying to get into. If testing security was the reason and not just snooping.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Why would the DHS be snooping around any State's databases ?

Or the bigger question is why wouldn't they?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Unlike many other states, Georgia notably turned down voluntary assistance from Homeland Security to shore up election systems.

Pretty curious, no?

Yes, it would cause me to be curious that the government in Georgia is stupid.
edit on 9-12-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Yes, they can be spoofed to make them look like they were coming from anywhere.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Yeah , this one hit closed to home. Looks as if our Governor had told the Obama DHS , we didnt need their help with anti-hacking at election time . Looks as if the DHS got a little upset . Yes , it was DHS.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Evidently , the DHS is owning up to it and investigating.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Yes, they can be spoofed to make them look like they were coming from anywhere.

But it would only be useful for something like a DOS attack.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Not if you want data back, because it's going to go to the spoof, not you.

So for something like a POD or DDOS attack where you're just blatting data at a port to tie it up, sure. It doesn't work where you want to get into something, though.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I can assure you this without screwing up my own Security Clearances with Homeland Security...D.H.S. doesnt need to "hack" anything. Believe me. It possesses black intell project "holes" and "dark-side doors" to everything and everyone they do not have to divuldge. Absolutely.

Anything any of us does, anywhere, no matter the devices, locations, firewalls and encriptions....they see it. News like this thread slips out in from the cold every once and awhile....but call it "dis-information" when all the while its going on. It has too...

*P.S. "Search Warrants" stuff are just nothing like they portray...but the public has to believe there's some level of protection. Anything is fair game though for the sake of "National Security"..we're watched and listened to constantly.

MS
EMT/ERT, 1st Responder
FEMA/Dept of Homeland Security,
Region 2, South, Wayne County Mi
I.C. S. Incident Command
edit on 9-12-2016 by mysterioustranger because: fat fingers

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Nice.

2d line.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

You know? I cant... and we shouldnt say much...but in this respect...I just want people to know.

The Fed's have the biggest "RE-ROUTERS" in the world...and use the info they get. We wouldnt ever know they got it...because they have National and International Intelligence Security laws protecting them.

All calls, all ISP's, all mail, email, snaps, tweets, Skypes...all re-routed through the NSA and other "channels".

Does this mean they learn about planned and planning crimes etc and just let them happen for the sake of intelligence for something else in the future?

Think about that.......MS

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Does this mean they learn about planned and planning crimes etc and just let them happen for the sake of intelligence for something else in the future?

LOL I can neither confirm nor deny ...

But, in seven short years (technically ... in less than half that time) my NDA expires.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I have a few others as well. (NDA, CA + others undisclosed). 1 is a five year, coming up shortly for renewal. But, I digress...

Im first an American, an Emergency Life Support/ER Disaster Team member and Community volunteer. I dont think Ive ever gone too far with info that couldnt be located elsewhere. Im always guarded, especially online. As with this thread?

I believe in freedom of speech, religion and lifestyle...and just wanted to reiterate what some of us know, others suspect..and some who didnt have a clue.

Thanks, MS
edit on 10-12-2016 by mysterioustranger because: spl

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join